• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Taos Feb. 1-7, 2020

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
The Blake condo building that is under construction matches the height of the Blake hotel. No more major development will happen in the future because there isn't any more private land available. The "village" will remain small.

I took the picture from the teaching area accessed by the Pioneer lift
View attachment 12051
Great photo!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m curious. Does women’s ski week use different instructors than usual Taos ski weeks?
What they do is get the most experienced female instructors for Women's Week. Meaning those who aren't already committed for private lessons. The instructor that I booked for a Request Ski Week, Stephanie, most likely would've done a Women's Week group if she were available. I was in her group in Feb 2019. She was as I expected absolutely wonderful for me and my three friends.

@santacruz skier and I did a Women's Ski Week in Feb 2017. That was a season with very low snow, so there weren't too many students besides the women from a midwest ski club. As I remember the total was under 30. We opted for the Women's Ski Week because free demos were a perk.

Deb Armstrong as a key person for the 2020 Women's Ski Week is new. Hopefully she'll be back for 2021.

I picked the first week of Feb before it was known that the Women's Ski Week would be that week. So it wasn't part of my thinking. Turned out to be a bonus for the Divas who ended up matching my schedule.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m curious. Does women’s ski week use different instructors than usual Taos ski weeks?
In addition to instructors being female, if number of students permit the Women's ski week has additional perks like free demos and boofitting, as well as some other events that regular ski weeks do not have. I have not done Women's ski week, only regular ski weeks and then request ski weeks.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Those Divas who did the Women's Week may have a better idea, but I counted about 50 women students in the room the morning there was a special talk 9:00-9:30 before the on-snow morning lessons started. I'm sure there were women who skipped the presentation since it was about the basics for those interested in buying gear, meaning boots and skis.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Too tired to say much, but here's a picture of one reason my friends and I did the Highline Hike this morning. It was an adventure to say the least! I'd done the same hike and trail with the same instructor last season. It was the first time hiking at Taos for Bill, @Olesya Chornoguz , and @santacruz skier . Much more fun with friends instead of random strangers in the same lesson group.

Today was noticeably warmer, temps into the 20s I think. Made it much easier to get the skis into the carriers we were using with no wind. Bill just put his skis over his shoulder. Not much of a view from the top, but at least the wind wasn't bad. Only up in the wind for a short while. Very nice in the trees. The route we took brought us out on Honeysuckle, just below the top of Lift 7A.

Taos Hike 07Feb2020 - 1.jpg

teppaz

Angel Diva
Those Divas who did the Women's Week may have a better idea, but I counted about 50 women students in the room the morning there was a special talk 9:00-9:30 before the on-snow morning lessons started. I'm sure there were women who skipped the presentation since it was about the basics for those interested in buying gear, meaning boots and skis.
The first day of women's ski week was a bit of a mess in terms of group size. Mine started with 9 women; one left for another group midway through but 8 was still too many. I heard the same complaint from several other people. Fortunately there was a course correction the following day when my group was split in two; I heard people in other groups were happy with adjustments. The rest of the week we had 4-6 people, depending on the day, and we were fairly evenly matched so the pace picked up and we got a lot done in terms of drills.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I was curious about the group overall! :thumbsup: Mostly because at diva west recently I found that I was actually happiest in all of the powder on my own Sheeva 9s that are only 92 underfoot. This surprised me! Not always the case at home in heavier pow, but in the light snow there I didn’t want anything more. I’m also still coveting those Stocklis!!
I tried the K2 Mindbender ti 98 in 161 and loved them in the powder. I tried the Shreva 10 and was disappointed. They seemed “mushy”. I really wanted to try the Santa Ana 93s but did not get a chance. I’m in BP88s in 159 which do the trick.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
The final count was 47, and the organizers were somewhat overwhelmed -- apparently there were some website SNAFUs, so they were surprised by the large turnout, and that's why they needed to pull in a couple of extra (men) instructors at the last minute.

Deb and the other leaders told us they were going to take over the organization of next year's Women's Week (from the men who usually run the Adult Ski Weeks), and promised that they would use our feedback and lessons learned from this year so that next year's program will be much more tightly organized.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Deb and the other leaders told us they were going to take over the organization of next year's Women's Week (from the men who usually run the Adult Ski Weeks), and promised that they would use our feedback and lessons learned from this year so that next year's program will be much more tightly organized.
Glad to hear that Deb Armstrong is becoming part of the Women's Week. She clearly made a difference.

Getting people into the correct group is a challenge for the regular Ski Weeks as well when there is more than 50 people. I've heard there are times when almost 200 skiers have to be sorted into groups.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
TR Taos Feb 1-7, Post Script:
My ski buddy and I were lucky enough to be able to stay for 12 days this year :yahoo:, so after sleeping in this AM, we headed out around noon to a 34° Bluebird day! After the temps of the past week, it felt like a late-Spring day! The only drawback was the large number of people, esp boarders, who were scraping off the snow on most of the runs, etc. By the time we quit at around 3 PM, the base area was hopping, music blasting, and partying was in full-swing. We headed into town for dinner, LOL.TSV Plaza.png

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What did people learn during this ski week? I see the terrain you skied, and it sounds like that and the social atmosphere was great fun.

I am hoping people chime in with descriptions of new stuff they now know how to do which they are planning on working permanently into their skiing. Anybody want to tell about what you learned from the lessons you participated in?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am hoping people chime in with descriptions of new stuff they now know how to do which they are planning on working permanently into their skiing.
For me, what's great about a Taos Ski Week over taking a more typical lesson that only lasts 1-4 hours is that by the time the week is over, there is always something better that is already ingrained enough to stick. Even if the next ski trip is a month or two away. This was my fourth Ski Week (in 3 seasons) and it's been something different every time. What I learned obviously depends on whether a Ski Week ends up with a focus on technique or more on tactics.

This time I spent time observing and then mimicking how my instructor did pole touches when doing medium turns on groomers. What she did on groomers helped me to understand some of what I'd learned last year about pole touches on bumps. We didn't actually do much with pole usage on bumps this time. I presume because there were other aspects that she deemed more important.

I had more than one breakthroughs last week. But most were based on lessons and practice over the last 3-4 years. Not only at Taos, but also working with other instructors (Massanutten, Bridger) in the last couple years. In some cases, it was a change in movement but in others it was simply a better understanding or awareness of a feeling. I know what moves are different for me, but have no idea how to describe it in writing.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I haven't responded because it is hard to put in words. I really liked our instructor and her way of pointing out more efficient ways to ski. The four of us are all very decent skiers and were a good match for the week long instruction. However, we all had different things to work on. My stance is too narrow(old school skier with up/down motions). Not to mention slightly knock kneed. Also reminder to keep planting poles in deep powder, more efficient and easier way to ski bumps. I tend to stop and then shop for bumps. I can't articulate but got a lot out of the week. Maybe even more so this week (than 2 yrs ago) with only four of us in a well matched group.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I haven't responded because it is hard to put in words. I really liked our instructor and her way of pointing out more efficient ways to ski. The four of us are all very decent skiers and were a good match for the week long instruction. However, we all had different things to work on. My stance is too narrow(old school skier with up/down motions). Also reminder to keep planting poles in deep powder, more efficient and easier way to ski bumps. I can't articulate but got a lot out of the week. Maybe even more so this week (than 2 yrs ago) with only four of us in a well matched group.
Ditto - hard to explain, but definitely improved my skiing, esp on moguls.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
Me, as well. Because it snowed something like 20 inches on Tuesday, I got my first chance to ski in deep powder; and because we were with an instructor, we learned to ski powder. I loved it. I also learned to get better at bumps - much better. The ski week is worth every penny, in my opinion. I highly recommend no matter what your level.

mustski

Angel Diva
I didn’t go to ladies week but I did attend a ski week. I learned the importance of the inside leg in initiating a turn and have continued working on that. I’m trying to let go of the old Up-down motion and focus on rolling edge to edge and letting my skis do more of the work. I’m also focusing on carrying that into the bumps and using a variety of tactics to ski the bumps. I am able to ski top to bottom on a medium length bump run without stopping to shop for moguls. I feel my efficiency was greatly improved.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I didn’t go to ladies week but I did attend a ski week. I learned the importance of the inside leg in initiating a turn and have continued working on that. I’m trying to let go of the old Up-down motion and focus on rolling edge to edge and letting my skis do more of the work. I’m also focusing on carrying that into the bumps and using a variety of tactics to ski the bumps. I am able to ski top to bottom on a medium length bump run without stopping to shop for moguls. I feel my efficiency was greatly improved.

I so want to do a ski week!! So many things to ski, so little time!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Were you videotaped? It's fun (?) to watch as we were videotaped on a groomer and a bump run ..... We also skied lots of trees and some were quite steep ! No video there... good thing !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna