• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Taos Feb. 1-7, 2020

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm back at Taos Ski Valley, fourth season in a row. Here with Bill and @Olesya Chornoguz per usual, plus several other Divas and friends. Everyone is going to do a Ski Week. Some Divas are doing the Women's Ski Week, I'm doing a Request Ski Week with the instructor I worked with last year, and the rest are doing a regular Ski Week.

Took a few pics today, which was our first ski day. Since I arrived in Albuequerque on Thursday, already fairly well acclimated to the altitude. It was warm but not too warm so snow conditions were quite good. Cold temps and a little more snow expected in a few days. The Ski Week starts tomorrow morning.

Bavarian for lunch on a warm Saturday, there was no wait for a table inside just after opening time at 11:30
Taos 01Feb2020 - 1.jpg

There is an Avalanche Beacon Training area near the Bavarian now
Taos 01Feb2020 - 2.jpg

The view from White Feather (green) on the way back to the main base gives a good view of how the new condo building fits in with existing buildings
Taos 01Feb2020 - 3.jpg

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here are recent threads related to skiing Taos and doing Ski Weeks. They include info about how a Ski Week works. The short description is that it's 6 consecutive morning group lessons, 1-7 students, same very experienced instructor, for under $400. Bottom line is that Ski Weeks are addictive for people interested in improving technique and/or learning tactics for bump terrain at any level from beginning to expert.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...what-week-fits-in-your-schedule-better.23898/

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...jan-20-25-2019-with-intermediate-divas.23500/
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...b-2-9-2019-including-advanced-ski-week.23622/

For snow conditions leading up to this week:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/taos-2019-20-conditions-and-open-terrain.24211/

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sunday was a little warmer, with plenty of sun. After the morning Ski Week for me, Bill, @Olesya Chornoguz , and @santacruz skier with Stephanie, we decided to take the Kachina lift. With the storm coming in, Stephanie noted that it's hard to say whether or not there would be another good day later in the week. Snow was fine, but not quite enough coverage so had to watch out for rocks.

New Gazex (on right) is one of three
Taos Kachina 02Feb2020 - 3.jpg

There are people down close to the trees.
Taos Kachina 02Feb2020 - 4.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think by now all the Divas around for the week have met each other. We had a table at the BBQ Buffet at the Austing Haus on Sat evening with 10 people, including @snow cat and her sister, those staying at Austing Haus, and @teppaz, @diymom, and @santacruz skier who staying slopeside. After the first morning lesson of Ski Week, we met up with @Yamaste in the main base cafeteria.

Always fun to meet new Divas in person.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This was the year I finally got to ski off Kachina. I skied it with @marzNC @santacruz skier and Bill. @marzNC posted pictures in post #4 of this thread. There was some good snow with little to no bumps, but those areas had rocks to watch out for. I have been wanting to ski off Kachina for several years now. The first few years i was at Taos I would have been too scared and the last 2 years it was closed. I am glad I did it finally, it was not as scary as I thought it would be, the snow was soft, even powdery in places.

This is the first ski week that I am doing a Request Ski week instead of the regular ski week with @marzNC and I like it very much. Our instructor is great and we only have 4 people in the group, which is a smaller group than most groups in a regular ski week and I like that too. We have a great group with a similar level of advanced skiers and a similar interest in terms of being adventurous in our skiing. We all have skied with each other a lot in the past so the ski week together is great.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Most of the Divas are doing the Women's Ski Week. There was needed re-shuffling of the groups this morning. A bit more than usual because more women were interested than expected. At least one instructor had to be added on Monday. @teppaz and @Yamaste are in the same group. I skied with them and one of their group mates this afternoon. Showed them some of the short blue/black bump shots over near Lift 4 off Patton.

My friend, Chris, is happier in a new group. The original assignment wasn't a good fit, partially because he was the best in the group and wasn't feeling challenged.

One thing that's different about the ski-off compared to last season is that the most expert groups gather at the bottom of the ski-off trail. Beginners are closest to the top near the Whistlestop.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Turned out that it warmed up just a little too much on Sunday. Snow conditions were pretty firm off the groomers today. Even the more advanced groups were mostly working on technique on groomers instead of tactics off-piste.

The Kachina lift was running all day since only a few clouds rolled in. There was a tiny bit of snow around 6pm.

With the weekend over, TSV is back to being a pretty empty place on the slopes and off. Monday can be a hard evening to head out to dinner because some restaurants take the day off.

Main base, Lift 1, 9:20am
Sign says "Beginners, Please use the Pioneer area first"
Taos 03Feb2020 - 1.jpg

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh boy, did the weather forecasters ever get it wrong for Tuesday, Feb. 4! Total so far is 18 inches officially. Felt like a lot more even in the morning. It was single digits but with the right clothing didn't feel cold since it was so dry. The new snow was deep and fluffy powder. Going over even big bumps was a lot easier than yesterday.

With our Request Ski Week instructor, Stephanie, we did Blitz a couple times. Went past the Rabbit Hole gate the second time. Finished on Lower Stauffenberg, which feels a lot different as a powder trail. In the afternoon the four of us went to Lorelei. Helps to know the easier entrance, which I learned from Stephanie in Feb 2019. Finished up right at 4:00 with a run off Lift 8 down Stauffenberg again.

With the continuing snow and low visibility, it was a good day to have a few friends to ski with in the afternoon after the morning lesson. Lift 8 opened mid-morning. Lifts 7 and 7A opened as well. But Lift 4 never opened. Could be a while before the Kachina lift opens again. Glad we went before the storm started.

7am at Austing Haus, Bill's ski car with the two boxes
Taos 04Feb2020 - 1.jpg

Lorelei after lunch, not many other people around
Taos 04Feb2020 - 2.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's how TSV reported on the storm to their e-list yesterday:

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 6.58.50 AM.png

The local schools were put on delay due to snowy roads. For some families, that meant kids got to go skiing with the "powder flu" instead of going into school for just a few hours. Certainly more high school age kids around than the usual Tuesday morning.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Well it looks like more fun today! Had a great time yesterday with all that snow and there were quite a few open stashes in the rather steep and sometimes tight trees! Had a great morning with Stepanie, our instructor, and more fun in the afternoon with @marzNC leading the way! However Bill and I seemed to lose @Olesya Chornoguz and @marzNC in the trees. Think I spent more time in the snow than on top of it. Falling in deep powder is relatively painless but a chore to get up.!! I was exhausted and quit early before I got hurt!!!! Ready for another fun day with lots of dry powder that fell overnight and chilly temperatures.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well it looks like more fun today! Had a great time yesterday with all that snow and there were quite a few open stashes in the rather steep and sometimes tight trees! Had a great morning with Stepanie, our instructor, and more fun in the afternoon with @marzNC leading the way! However Bill and I seemed to lose @Olesya Chornoguz and @marzNC in the trees. Think I spent more time in the snow than on top of it. Falling in deep powder is relatively painless but a chore to get up.!! I was exhausted and quit early before I got hurt!!!! Ready for another fun day with lots of dry powder that fell overnight and chilly temperatures.

What width skis were you all on in the 18 inches of snow?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Not powder skis. Wanted to demo narrower skis so demoed SA 93. More powder today so didn't demo. May try head kore 93 or k2 mindbender on Friday

I'm interested in your impressions of these skis. I've tried both and wonder if yours match mine (I don't want to say what they were because I don't want to influence you).

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm interested in your impressions of these skis. I've tried both and wonder if yours match mine (I don't want to say what they were because I don't want to influence you).
What's interesting is the guy in the ski shop told me my BC's are stiffer than both the Mindbenders and the Head Kore 93's. So much fresh snow I didn't want to demo the last two days and tomorrow is a hike to the Ridge so don't want to be carrying any skis with heavy demo bindings. I'm running out of ski days here at Taos!!! Side note: I like the SA 93 as is and maybe wouldn't like it lighter (2021 version)

marzNC

Angel Diva
What width skis were you all on in the 18 inches of snow?
I know you weren't asking me but . . . I'm on my Stöckli Stormrider 85 skis. With dry snow, I've skied them in over 12 inches of snow several times in the last couple years. Between Taos Ski Weeks and other lessons out west, I don't need wider skis for deep snow as much any more.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna