• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

An East Coaster headed West

Hail3yBop

Diva in Training
My family and I are headed to Winter Park Colorado next week and this will be my first time skiing out West! What are some tips or suggestions you could give this east coast girl headed out West to ski for the first time?

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm an east-coaster as well and I try to get out west 2-3 times per season. Lemme see . . .
  • You may be tempted the first day or two to dress as warmly as you do at home for the same temps. You likely will find that you are over-dressed for the drier western air. I find that 20 degrees in the west feels like 30 or 40 in the east.
  • If I'm not staying on the mountain or ski-in/ski-out, I like to find a shop at the base that will rent a locker for the week (one with a boot dryer is a plus). That way I'm not trundling my stuff around in ski boots getting on and off a shuttle or bus.
  • Take it easy the first day. I've never had a problem w/altitude (even sleeping high, like in Taos), but I've known plenty of peeps who have. As @Jilly said, go easy on the booze too (make a note to self).
  • If you have a detachable powder skirt on your jacket, attach it. I never need it at home, but the lighter, fluffier snow out west seems to find a way up and in if I don't have the skirt on and fastened.
  • Once or twice my skis have felt "funny" on western snow after skiing so much eastern ice. If that happens take some time to see if it is just a matter of getting used to it. If things are still wonky, take your skis to a shop to check the tune - the conditions may call for something a bit different.
  • Think about demo'ing some powder skis if you've got the snow.
  • Take a mountain tour the first day. Mountain Ambassadors are terrific and it is a very enjoyable way to familiarize yourself with the mountain(s) and to meet other skiers/boarders. They can also tell you which areas offer the best skiing in morning and afternoon.
  • If you are skiing on National Forest land and they offer a tour w/a ranger, take advantage (assuming that is happening during the gov't shutdown). You'll learn a boatload about the area, wildlife, seasonal changes, and history.
  • It has been years since I've been to Winter Park, but I think you may still be able to ski Mary Jane on the same pass. MJ used to be famous for moguls (likely still is) and it is fun to watch the really good mogul skiers even if you aren't partaking yourself.
  • I keep thinking of more stuff - HYDRATE. You'll get dehydrated much quicker in the drier air. SUNBLOCK - at the altitude you'll be skiing the sun is much more intense. Same goes for lip balm. I got the worst sunburn of my life in Vail when I was in my not wise early 20's.
  • Take a lesson if you can - a good instructor can introduce you to terrain and conditions that you don't usually get the chance to ski.
  • Oh yeah, HAVE FUN!!!

Last edited:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes to lots of water before you go and when you are there. It helps adjust to altitude. a Humidifier in your bedroom helps too.
Watch out if you drink alcohol.. can make you very sleepy and tired the next day.
Yes to Mt Tour. They are fun, you'll have a guide to answer questions.
Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy. You'll have a blast and like me laugh when they tell you the Packed powder is Icy.. NOT!!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ignore everything western skiers say about conditions. Their Icy is your "most fabulous ever".

I have a hard time with altitude sickness (last time I went to WP I tried to drive in through the out gate) so be aware. Medication wise only Diamox is FDA approved for altitude sickness, however, there is a non-inferiority clinical trial comparing Motrin to Diamox for altitude sickness that was just completed.

They are testing whether Motrin 600mg three times a day starting 6 hours prior to hiking to altitude is comparable to Diamox. You can read more on clinical trials dot gov. Good trial, and Motrin is relatively benign (definitely fewer side effects than Diamox).

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I don’t have altitude sickness per se, e.g. headaches, nausea, but I do have trouble sleeping at night. I’d wake up every couple of hours and sometimes have period breathing while falling asleep, where I jerk myself awake feeling like I’m suffocating and have to take deep breaths. The period breathing developed last January for unknown reasons (I’ve gone to CO before and never experienced any altitude problems other than running out of breath). This year, I started taking 600mg ibuprofen three times a day about three days before traveling and continued it for the duration of the week-long trip (mainly to reduce swelling and pain in my bad knee). I also stayed in Denver for the day I flew in and went to Breck the next day. Whether it’s the ibuprofen regimen or the stay in Denver, the period breathing was much much reduced (no more feeling suffocating) and I could also stop it by shifting my sleep position. That did not work before. I still woke up every couple of hours though, which really impacted my energy level during the day. I considered Diamox, but I think in my googling came across it’s not for people who do not tolerate sulfa well. That rules me out. I intend to discuss the sleeping and breathing problems with my doctor the next time I see her.

Christy

Angel Diva
So many great tips above! The only thing I'd add is that if you are staying in a good hotel, ask if they can give you a humidifier. I'm in the PNW and when I go to the Rockies I feel like I am constantly applying chapstick and moisturizer and trying to keep the static out of my hair I don't get a humidifier. If there was a hot tub full of moisturizer I'd jump in it. It's just so so dry.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don’t have altitude sickness per se, e.g. headaches, nausea, but I do have trouble sleeping at night. I’d wake up every couple of hours and sometimes have period breathing while falling asleep, where I jerk myself awake feeling like I’m suffocating and have to take deep breaths. The period breathing developed last January for unknown reasons (I’ve gone to CO before and never experienced any altitude problems other than running out of breath). This year, I started taking 600mg ibuprofen three times a day about three days before traveling and continued it for the duration of the week-long trip (mainly to reduce swelling and pain in my bad knee). I also stayed in Denver for the day I flew in and went to Breck the next day. Whether it’s the ibuprofen regimen or the stay in Denver, the period breathing was much much reduced (no more feeling suffocating) and I could also stop it by shifting my sleep position. That did not work before. I still woke up every couple of hours though, which really impacted my energy level during the day. I considered Diamox, but I think in my googling came across it’s not for people who do not tolerate sulfa well. That rules me out. I intend to discuss the sleeping and breathing problems with my doctor the next time I see her.

Yeah, sleeping is rough. I would wake up multiple times a night feeling like I was dying, and suicidal. Extra time in Denver never helped. I just started staying in Idaho Springs at 7,000 feet, using Boost Oxygen and driving to Denver pretty frequently. It's the weirdest experience, I can actually feel my brain fog and unfog when driving in, usually around 6000ft. It feels like getting drunk.

I haven't tried the Motrin yet but it really is supposed to work as well as Diamox, there are already a couple of studies published. There's just no head to head comparison.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great Tips, May pick up some motrin.. I don't get altitude sickness but I do get tired easier and huff and puff climbing up to ski some places. Last winter I took Ginkgo Biloba I start taking it a week before I go 120mg capsules. 2/day I read a Dr. review for it helping w/altitude adjustment it's suppose to help promote circulation in your brain and help w/oxygen in your blood.

Seemed to help me, I even drank wine last year without problem although I"m still cautious about alcohol w/altitude. I was also told that when people have altitude sickness chlorophyll is sometimes given (I bought some to bring West this year) Beet powder is another tip I was told can help. I've never tried the Diamox had some friends tell me made them feel weird. My Sleeping is still unsettled, plus because I drink so much water I have to get up. I have taken an Excedrin pm to get some REM sleep.

Most importantly: Altitude sickness should not be taken lightly, go to lower ground immediately.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, sleeping is rough. I would wake up multiple times a night feeling like I was dying, and suicidal. Extra time in Denver never helped. I just started staying in Idaho Springs at 7,000 feet, using Boost Oxygen and driving to Denver pretty frequently. It's the weirdest experience, I can actually feel my brain fog and unfog when driving in, usually around 6000ft. It feels like getting drunk.

I haven't tried the Motrin yet but it really is supposed to work as well as Diamox, there are already a couple of studies published. There's just no head to head comparison.

Sounds great ... wish I wasn't allergic to it!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have a bad time sleeping too -- which really isn't unusual for me, since I'm an awful sleeper. But at altitude, my heart rate seems to be higher than normal, and I notice it in bed. It keeps me up. I'll sleep for like 3 hours and then go skiing for the day. So I'm pretty much exhausted the whole time I'm there.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My family and I are headed to Winter Park Colorado next week and this will be my first time skiing out West! What are some tips or suggestions you could give this east coast girl headed out West to ski for the first time?
Welcome! Does the family include kids? If so, what age? What region do you usually ski in . . . southeast, Mid-Atlantic, or northeast? Are you bringing skis and boots? Flying? I know that's a lot of questions but usually more info helps in guiding the advice.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
We took a family vacation (we have twins that are now 18) to Winter Park several years ago and loved it. We brought our own gear and stayed in a condo on mountain - lockers, parking garage made everything so easy.

Water, alcohol, and altitude sickness have been covered. I don’t have an issue but hubby had a bit there; he was very tired after the first morning of skiing and just wasn’t getting quite enough oxygen but improved the next day. I definitely drink the wonderful craft beer when I am out there, but usually avoid it on the first day or limit myself to one.

There is skiing for everyone, a cute village on mountain, and then the downtown right down the street with grocery, restaurants, etc. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Skaði

Diva in Training
Posting from WP, we've been here since Saturday and are leaving tomorrow. We've had several days of fresh (9" yesterday) beautiful powder. The demo shop was convenient and not busy when I picked up some powder skis for the day. It's been quite cold, but you're probably used to that.
The altitude adjustment is real. Racing heartbeat at night and I haven't been able to drink more than one glass of wine or I get a raging headache. Hydration at this altitude has meant frequent stops for water during the day. There are lodges all over the mountain so it's not hard to stop off.
This mountain is awesome, has a friendly vibe and I hope your family has a blast.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
This is where a hydration pack - aka camelback comes in handy. Although at freezing temps, it may or may not work that well.
Right! I always ski with a water bladder - the tube on mine has the insulating wrap so usually I am ok out west although it has still frozen once or twice. If I take frequent enough sips it generally stays unfrozen.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am really bad at drinking enough water in general. I wear a backpack with bladder in it anytime I ski in the west to force myself to keep drinking, the tube I have also has an insulating wrap. I also like the backpack on the bigger western mountains in general because sometimes you can be seriously far away from where you can leave stuff you might want or need during the ski day.

Oh and don’t forget to breathe! Lol not sure if it’s common to others, but the first time I ever skied out west I realized that I apprently hold my breath a bit when skiing. I’ve never noticed it in the east, but one of my first runs in the west I started seeing white pinpricks everywhere, felt woozy, and had to stop to regroup. Didn’t take long to figure out what was going on and correct it, I still think about it on trips now to make sure I don’t have that happen again, it was quite disconcerting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga