• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

An East Coaster headed West

Am716

Certified Ski Diva
Where are you going to see on Sat night? If in the city, you probably won't feel the altitude as much. I only have minor symptoms for a couple days when I go directly to Alta Lodge, which is around 8000 ft. When the snow is good, I'll ski the afternoon I arrive. I've always skied the day after arrival even when I was an intermediate sticking to blue groomers. Back then I was usually done skiing by 2:30 or 3:00 even though the lifts run until 4:30. I live pretty much at sea level.

However, I take it easy the first day or two anytime I fly out west. Doesn't mean I don't ski a full day, but more groomers and not as many adventures on the more challenging terrain off-piste. For Alta, it's even easier because I know the terrain well.

If you plan on taking more breaks, meaning a rest stop pretty much every hour or perhaps even less depending on your system for water in and water out, I don't see any reason to not ski on Sunday.

Saturday night I will be sleeping at the base of the Bird, at a friends condo. I am sure Sunday everyone will want to ski some gnarly stuff since it’s the last day for some people and the first day anyone will be skiing snowbird!

I am going to water load the week before and when I am there. So fingers crossed I can handle it all. Sounds like I probably shouldn’t have too many issues but a couple guys that went last year did so it makes me just worry a teensy bit!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am going to water load the week before and when I am there. So fingers crossed I can handle it all. Sounds like I probably shouldn’t have too many issues but a couple guys that went last year did so it makes me just worry a teensy bit!
One good thing about Snowbird is that it doesn't take long to get somewhere for a rest stop. Just don't spend too much time waiting in line for the tram if it's wrapped around the building. There is a lot of terrain accessible by chairlift.

Note that Snowbird has a free mountain tour. If not Sunday, good to take it later on.

Everyone is different. Good to be informed about the symptoms but what happens when adjusting to altitude is individual.

Have fun!

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to Grand Targhee in early March and reading this thread is making me really nervous! I am planning on bringing my Camelbak (and forcing the manfriend to carry his, too). I drink A LOT of water in general, but I'll try and drink way more in the weeks leading up to our trip. We're arriving Saturday night to Jackson Hole airport and have to take the pass over, hopefully it won't be snowy and it'll be an easy trek over. I was planning on taking Sunday/Monday to relax and get acclimated, then ski Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday or Fri, we have 3/4 days to ski.

I've driven through the Rockies before, in Wyoming. I had a sinus infection during the trip and being that high up was KILLER on my sinuses, I don't think I've felt a pressure like that before. Afterwards we stopped to get food and I felt so dizzy and lightheaded. Here's to hoping it doesn't affect us too bad!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Does anyone have issues when returning to sea level from altitude?

I actually did really well at diva west last week as far as being able to sleep etc. Some years I have problems sleeping at altitude, but this time this wasn’t the case, and I actually got more sleep per night than my regular routine so that was great with skiing everyday. I had some breathlessness the first couple of days, but it improved each day and wasn’t an issue overall.

However, this week at home I’m EXHAUSTED! I don’t really remember being so tired after previous trips. My body isn’t tired or sore, I’m just so sleepy and have been having a horrible time getting up in the morning. Anyone else experience this after being at altitude? Not sure there is any correlation, just can’t figure out why else I’m so sleepy this week. I thought it should be the opposite now that I’m back at normal elevation and oxygen levels that I’m used to!

Am716

Certified Ski Diva
Does anyone have issues when returning to sea level from altitude?

I actually did really well at diva west last week as far as being able to sleep etc. Some years I have problems sleeping at altitude, but this time this wasn’t the case, and I actually got more sleep per night than my regular routine so that was great with skiing everyday. I had some breathlessness the first couple of days, but it improved each day and wasn’t an issue overall.

However, this week at home I’m EXHAUSTED! I don’t really remember being so tired after previous trips. My body isn’t tired or sore, I’m just so sleepy and have been having a horrible time getting up in the morning. Anyone else experience this after being at altitude? Not sure there is any correlation, just can’t figure out why else I’m so sleepy this week. I thought it should be the opposite now that I’m back at normal elevation and oxygen levels that I’m used to!

Maybe you skied more and harder than previous years and your body just needs a day to catch up? Weird though that you say you slept more out west than you usually sleep at home! I doubt the different time zones matter because it’s only 2-3 hours tops (no clue where diva west was or where you live).

So I am pretty much No help and clueless :smile: my only guess would be you skied more than you usually do?

MissySki

Angel Diva
To clarify sleeping more out west than at home, that was probably due to the activity of each day and then also the fact that I could sleep later than usual. I have a long commute, so I leave my house at 5:30am and I’m a night owl who can’t fall asleep early under normal circumstances (have always been that way), so my normal is ~5 hrs of sleep per night (though I usually sleep in on weeekends) at home where on the trip I probabaly averaged 7-8 hrs. Per night which was lovely.

Diva west was in Aspen and I live in MA. Came home Friday afternoon so I did have the weekend to relax. Of course I didn’t probabaly get as much rest as I should have due to Super Bowl activities.

Yeah, might have nothing to do with altitude.. I had just seen something on reverse altitude sickness, though the symptoms didn’t really fit either. Wondering if perhaps I’m fighting off an illness since my fiance has a cold, but I have no other symptoms besides the tiredness. At least it’s Wednesday, I’m hoping to catch up on some rest this weekend!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I doubt the different time zones matter because it’s only 2-3 hours tops
Depends a bit on how much someone from the east coast makes a time adjustment during a trip out west. For me, my regular schedule at home means waking up around 7am ET, definitely by 8am. Since I'm retired, most days I don't have to be up any earlier any way. When I'm skiing out west, I'm awake by 6am MT even after a few days of adjustment. I simply stay on ET. Meaning I wake up by 6:00 or 6:30am, and I'm in bed by 10:30pm or so MT.

For the first night or two, when I wake up at 5:00am MT, I usually can't get back to sleep. I usually don't bother to try. Too excited about skiing the first day any way. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna