• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New to biking

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think this is the thread you're looking for. You only need to buy one, no multiples necessary!

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like are coming right along!

Odometer part of your cyclometer will track your milage (kilometerage?)... well, distance traveled. Mine is very basic and 12 years old and I can reset it for each ride (ie tripometer) and it also tracks my total milage... well, until I change the battery, then it goes back to zero. :laugh:

Craigslist is a website started in the US, but they have international sub-sites. It's basically online classifieds. Here's the Toronoto site and there are also other local sub-sites in Ontario.

https://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The basics that you'll need to carry in a pouch under your seat or in your Camelback:
  • A set of tire levers
  • Patch kit
  • Spare inner tube
  • Mini tool
  • A couple of tie wraps
  • A tiny roll of Duct Tape
  • A whistle
I also carry a pretty extensive first aid kit, sugar tablets/Rice Crispy Treats (I ride with several diabetics), a chain tool and extra chain links, Off wipes, and a small flash light......and I've used almost every single thing.
I wanted to revisit the list of things to carry for this simple reason. If you break down, which is rare, but does happen, Off Wipes are a necessity! The mosquitos around here are as big as turkey buzzards, and they love a sweaty biker!

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wanted to revisit the list of things to carry for this simple reason. If you break down, which is rare, but does happen, Off Wipes are a necessity! The mosquitos around here are as big as turkey buzzards, and they love a sweaty biker!

Ugh, gross. I am terrified of bugs, let alone flying "turkey buzzard" misquitoes. I guess that's why I opt to bike early am, at night the june bugs come out and I would have a heart attack if I went biking then! They usually come out around 8:30pm/9ish so I know if I didn't go biking in the morning I can go around 9:30pm/10ish just to be safe. (Yes I timed them one day - I really hate bugs, you can't imagine!)

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just thought I'd update:

My cyclometer is working great! I wish I would have installed one sooner. I love seeing the speed and distance gone so far - it's almost as if it keeps me motivated to continue to finish my ride (Not that I don't enjoy biking).

I bike around 25 kms every morning. As weeks go by, I increase my distance and speed as well. When I first began, which was like 3 weeks ago, my legs really hurt the next morning. I still can feel my muscles aching just the slightest bit, but not nearly as much as when I first began. :clap:

I went ahead and ordered the road id in black...still wiaiting for it to arrive. I'm getting anxious and cannot wait until it comes!:yahoo:

THat's all from me, thanks to all of you for the help when getting me started.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahem .. yes, it gets addictive.

I had a few head problems with the clipless pedals, not knowing routes to ride, not having anyone to ride with ... so my brand new set-up was languishing, until I watched itri's triathlon last weekend. My new Mantra became, "don't think just do", so I was out for a 5 mile ride last Sunday after itri had left for her well-deserved rest (& given me a few pointers to make riding easier). I enjoyed the ride and the pedals were not as much of an issue as I thought, I planned ahead and handled it well.

Yesterday I was determined to go for a much longer ride. My objective is to become competent enough to join the rides from my LBS. I have to know I can do 20 miles at a fair clip. I picked a local route and found some great concrete bike trails not far from my house, it was after 6pm and therefore much cooler and the trails were deserted (please don't let me get a flat .... good job I've programmed a taxi number into my cell). I was doing well, and feeling good, apart from a dirt track that was all washboard and made my eyes bounce in my head, I'd only been "lost" twice. Then I came around a corner and saw barriers closing the bike path and indicating a detour. As I got closer the detour was a tight 90 degrees, narrow with a sunken grating on the turn. I could see the gaps were wider than my tires, so I chickened out, and could not unclip either foot (why did I try both repeatedly, I should have persevered with one!), turned the other way into the barrier, and then to my left where there was an elevated sewer cover, great I thought maybe I can put my knee down on there ........... seems your knee won't go out at that ankle when your foot is still attached. So I fell over onto the raised concrete culvert, and ended up jammed hard in against it on the other side with my bike on top of me.

So I learned that falling off your bike is like a fall in skiing. First of all, it's your own fault. Secondly, you are sure you can rescue it. Thirdly, it all happens in slow motion apart from the very final tangle. Fourthly, when you land you have to figure out what position you are in and how to get back up. Fifthly, you can have mystery damage on both sides of your body even though you went down on one side.

So I have a bloody right elbow and a dented left buttock, I wear them proudly as a badge of honour. And my bike is scratched, now I have to keep it. I'm planning on doing a fifteen mile ride later today. It's only my back that's a little stiff, I think I'll have to find some core training to do, it'll help my skiing too...

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, Sarah...I am truly sorry for your crash, but I have to confess that I giggled a little at your description. It's SO true.

Glad it didn't damage your psyche, just your paint a little! Although it makes me cringe a little at the thought of such a beautiful bike getting dinged up. :wink: I loved your analysis, especially your fifthly point. :becky: I can't tell you how often I end up with scrapes, bruises, etc. that are nowhere near where I think they should be!

I'm so glad you're getting your mileage up. Pretty soon, you'll be riding up Highgrade with me! (see the share your rides during the summer thread for details :smile:)

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pretty soon, you'll be riding up Highgrade with me! (see the share your rides during the summer thread for details :smile:)

I really hope that one day I am riding up there behind you, I'm tempted to think it might even be later this summer!! (aiyee, bravado - it always gets us into trouble.)

That looks like a lovely ride, the photos were darn good. I'm going to start with baby hills, and building up stamina first. I'm a ways behind you .... Yes, the bike is scratched, but it will help me to stop looking like such a novice, and when I stop getting off the bike to use the pedestrian crossing on a left hand turn will be another milestone breakthrough for this rookie.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski&BFree. Good to hear you're moving along and addicted to two wheels.

Lilabear, having spent time with you, I could hear your voice describing your bike adventure. Sorry, but it made me chuckle a bit.
I feel bad that you had the tumble, but I'm confident you'll be flying on those two wheels in no time at all.

Enjoy!

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I chuckled after the fall... especially when I lay under my bike and couldn't figure out how to get it off me. I was wondering if a whistle should be added to my riding kit, I'd have to wear it around my neck for attracting attention when I've landed in a thick bush, or down a ditch. I'll be adding one to my ski gear after an event last year when I was the only one visible above a ravine where two other guys were stuck at the bottom.

It's kinda funny, I'm learning alone to ride and yet I am so not alone. There's a whole tribe of experts out there willing and able to help, between SkiDivas and the internet I have a lot of information available to me. And there's a whole bevy of people I want to ski and ride with, so there's my motivation for keeping going and getting stronger.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I rode again yesterday and had the second cardinal fall that I had been warned I would have. I gently rolled to a stop and released my right foot then found out my weight was to the left. I mumbled to myself, Oh No, Ouch.

Tonight I went horseriding and am pleased to report I managed to stay on. Although the barn cat did bite me, so I have another sports related injury (OK slight mark).

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bet you said a bad word when you fell to your left!
I know I did when I made that mistake.

My wrist is doing much better, thanks. I'll be riding again on Wed with Kris and hoping to get some more range of motion back in it.

Glad you're enjoying the bike!

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now it's week 3 of bike riding.

After successfully doing 4 rides and not falling off on the final one I was brave enough to go ride with the Local Bike shop group last Saturday. I"d been building up my stamina, from a 4 mile ride to a 10 mile, to 15 miles. Last Saturday was a scorcher so they decided to do a "short" ride. We ended up doing 25 miles in 99 degrees.

I really wanted to ride with others so I could see how they handled their bikes, when to change gears, when to unclip, when to stand up, etc.. But I found myself at the front of the second group, and the first group had pulled far ahead. Then interestingly there was me and one other rider at a stop light and we didn't know where anyone else was, so I was lost to boot. So much for being on a group ride! I pulled out the iphone, looked up the address of the cafe they were going to, found my current position and got the map and directions to rejoin them - I love my iphone. I felt pretty good riding with them, it was never sheer torture, but I was happy to know when I was on the last hill.

I didn't ride in the week, the days are getting shorter and I didn't have enough daylight when I got home from work. Not to mention my Narcolepsy .... I cut caffeine out of my working day, I think I need to reintroduce it.

However, I decided I really should join the group ride again today. I did OK, mostly I kept up, or the gap was smallish .... I'm learning to change gears earlier for hills (but still can't use more than my middle ring on the crankset), they chattered, I gasped, but didn't disgrace myself until ....... I just didn't make the turn. One mile away from the end point, we're back on cycle paths, and I merely have to make a 90 degree right. The guy behind me calls it out, and I check no one's coming so I can take it wide, and wide I took it. Tired and heavy on the forearms I suspect it's not going well, so I look down at my front wheel and it just went from bad to worse. I think I just gave up, like when I was a novice skier and I just knew I didn't have the energy/commitment/will-power for the next turn. I dropped off the edge of the path and went over into the nasty dry straw-like grass at the side. My cycling buddy had to pull the bike off me again as I lay there muttering - "what no steering?" He was kind of shocked and amazed, and I had little holes along my leg from where the straw stems had punctured me, and then I came up in weals because I have a grass allergy. We decided not to mention it to anyone else, but I had straw and mud all over me. For the next few turns I had my head up and was looking ahead - 3 moguls ahead. Way better. We cycled 35 miles today, I'm pleased with myself.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, you're doing great! :clap: 35 miles is nothing to sneeze at...that's actually longer than I've ever done in one ride. I've done 30 a couple of times, and once pulling the trailer, but it's hard for me to carve out enough time for a longer ride like that. I'm still scared to take my first "real" fall (i.e. not just falling over because I didn't get clipped out), I know it's gotta come sometime!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, you're doing great! :clap: 35 miles is nothing to sneeze at...
What she said, well, except for the sneeze part. If you have allergies, then go ahead and sneeze!

Good for you Lilabear!!!

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for your encouragement.

Yes, the downside of road riding is finding the time to do a lengthy trip. I don't think I'd be doing any of this if I wasn't trailing along at the back of a group that knows the good routes.

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What's the rule of thumb when determining how high your seat should go? Do I stand over the bike with both feet on then ground and the raise the seat just under me?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna