• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are you most looking forward to in the '16/'17 season?

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
A special best wishes to all who are looking forward to coming back from injury...and here's hoping we all stay healthy this season to the extent possible!

A friend called yesterday, we are trying to get our group to go a bit east this year...Macedonia is apparently in play. So I am looking foward to skiing in new mountain ranges this season.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi as well! I've just had almost a year off skiing and off skidiva (couldn't cope with any ski talk) due to a knee break/soft tissue injury. ( it's been crappy) Meaning that I'm unemployed this winter.
I'm looking forward to skiing in Canada in February - actually getting on skis again and getting my confidence back. - which will be a big deal. It will be 17 months by then so is realistic, but I'm still having trouble going down stairs and hopping etc. looking at Whistler and then inland somewhere. Deciding between maybe big white or Revelstoke (remembering that I'll be skiing mostly groomers unless things are going great.)
Then I'll know if I can actually ski again and reapply for my on Mountain job in New Zealand for June 2017.
It's been difficult spending the winter in a ski town staring at the mountain out the living room window and saying " have a great day" to the family while they go skiing, and listening to the husbands mountain work stories, while I go to the gym, physio or walk the dogs.

*hug* I'm allowed to ski starting at 6 months out from surgery (Doc keeps saying January, but 6 months is Dec 17, dammit!), but groomers only to 9 months. At that point my doc will clear me for terrain, but would prefer I hold off - and it's the start of spring skiing, anyway. I don't think I'll be up for getting my "ski legs" in spring conditions following a surgery where doc says my graft will only be 90% until more than a year after surgery. Meantime ski pros think the doc is being overly cautious, but I figure better listen to the doc - and better this doc than the one who said no skiing for nine months!

Annnnnyway good luck for Feb and groomers. This definitely puts my injury in perspective, crappy as it's been. I haven't been allowed to walk the dogs yet - they're leash aggressive, and the doc so far disapproves the idea of me fighting 120 pounds of frothing canine energy. I plan to do lots of snowshoeing with the dogs in the winter to make up for the lack of hikes this summer. Poor mutts.

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jilly and @SkiBam I agree with you. It's just a hard pill to swallow sigh. But I really don't know how I'll be and Revy will be frustrating if I can't go and explore it. I might need shopping, hot pools, good food and drink. I'm also a little prone to doing stupid stuff so I'll try to act like a lady tourist :smile:
@bounceswoosh ive been reading about your injury. I do hope things go well for you and you can get back this season. My experience has been unusual but I do recommend reassessing closer to the time and give yourself permission to change your mind if you are not ready. It's very hard to miss out but it is survivable. Anyway I have much more to say and talk about my trip and injury so I'll start a thread and stop hijacking this one.
Glad to be back and nice to hear from you all :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My experience has been unusual but I do recommend reassessing closer to the time and give yourself permission to change your mind if you are not ready.
Absolutely agreed. I'm champing at the bit to get going, but I will listen to my body as well as my doctor and the official timelines. I already feel so much better than I did a month ago - when standing up from doing a split squat I sort of unconsciously started jogging in place, very very gently, to work out the kinks in my legs. PT looked mildly horrified, which is when I remembered I wasn't supposed to be running yet. He admonished me, but then assured me that gently pumping my heels back and forth, which is really all I'd been doing, isn't really a problem. Just don't *actually* try to run. That being said - I just bought a pair of running shoes, because running is allowed in 2 weeks =) Well, and my daily use shoes, which were actually trail running shoes, had fallen apart; I'll be wearing these for workouts as well as the theoretical running part.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the MCP and have trips planned to three of the resorts already - Diva West in Aspen (looking forward to skiing with all the Divas), Banff in Canada and 2 days in Mammoth (my local mountain). I'm always lookig for Mammoth skiers who want to go to the top with me. I'm hoping to make maybe one more MCP resort but since I have 2 young kids and live in San Diego Skiing is tough to do w/o a plane ticket or long drive. For the trips I have planned I hope to practice my crappy skills on the moguls as well as meet some more ski friends to ski with in the future.

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@NZfarmgirl It's good to see you checking in, your absence has been noted. I'm sorry it's been such a long haul for you this year. Best wishes on continued healing. Sending good vibes...

@NZfarmgirl glad you are back and checking in. Was wondering how things were. Positive thoughts and best wishes for continued recovery and awesome skiing in the near future :smile:

ellae

Certified Ski Diva
I'm just looking forward to that first time the chairlift sweeps me off the ground for the year and whisks me to the top of what will likely be a WROD, but I'll be so excited I won't even care.

2bjenny

Certified Ski Diva
Wait, what??? They replaced the Blackfoot lift with a faster one? I loved getting to rest on the old, slow double between runs down the northern boundary . . . . My thighs are not going to like this next time I'm back to GT!

What??? I just looked and they did replace it with a quad! That is so disappointing. I loved the Blackfoot lift because it was slow, so it was never busy over on that side, especially on powder days. Now I am kind of bummed.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm looking forward to skiing in Hakuba, Japan again starting in December. Hoping they get more snow this year. I can't wait to eat sushi, karaage (fried chicken bits), as well as delicious ramen.

THIS is why Japan is tops of my list of places to ski. I can't help it, my stomach is the most important factor when it comes to choosing travel destinations!

G-money

Diva in Training
I'm looking forward to a trip to Summit County, Colorado with my boyfriend for my birthday. He hasn't snowboarded in eons, so it should *interesting* lol. I'd like to possibly demo some skis, too. C'mon Winter! :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Now that my ski trip plans are clearer, really looking forward to skiing with my daughter in Utah during her spring break. She has new telemark gear but I have really seen her do tele turns since she switched over a few years ago (at boarding school in the NY Adirondacks). Also looking forward to a mid-season trip with friends that will include a Taos Ski Week.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the MCP and have trips planned to three of the resorts already - Diva West in Aspen (looking forward to skiing with all the Divas), Banff in Canada and 2 days in Mammoth (my local mountain). I'm always lookig for Mammoth skiers who want to go to the top with me. I'm hoping to make maybe one more MCP resort but since I have 2 young kids and live in San Diego Skiing is tough to do w/o a plane ticket or long drive. For the trips I have planned I hope to practice my crappy skills on the moguls as well as meet some more ski friends to ski with in the future.

Maybe I'll make it to Mammoth for Spring Skiing...hmm MCP sure gets you to more places :-)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am looking forward to being a mountain host at Snowbasin! I am going through a VERY big life change, and am now pursuing my long-time goal of breaking into employment in the ski/outdoor industry. This is just the beginning for me, I think! :clap:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna