• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are you most looking forward to in the '16/'17 season?

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I did some math and the season pass is looking more and more like a do. The season starts in December and can run until May. If I go for a weekend Dec/Jan/Feb/March (that's Sun/Mon for me) that's 8 times right there. Plus I have a three day weekend in February.

This is Nozawa by the way...https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/nagano/nozawa-onsen/nozawa-onsen
Cool! My nephew, who lives in Korea, skis there a few weekends every winter! I need to go visit him and ski Japan!

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Japan is amazing! We had originally planned to go back there January 2017 but.... life happened. So now it's Whistler - maybe we can do Japan again 2018.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you! Three years, and I had no intentions of learning to ski when I moved here. Got hooked the first winter. :smile:
With Grand Targhee is your backyard, certainly made sense to give skiing a try. Glad you are having fun on the slopes!

Have only made it to GT a couple times but would love to be there for a few powder days in the future. Especially with the new Blackfoot lift.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With Grand Targhee is your backyard, certainly made sense to give skiing a try. Glad you are having fun on the slopes!

Have only made it to GT a couple times but would love to be there for a few powder days in the future. Especially with the new Blackfoot lift.

Tons of fun. Is it winter yet?!
And Blackfoot is my favorite! I was actually sad to see the old lift go, slow as it was. Powder days here can be super fun, as I was just able to start appreciating last season when I got a pair of fat skis. Foggy powder days especially, because then you can have some amazing untracked terrain all to yourself.

marzNC

Angel Diva
And Blackfoot is my favorite! I was actually sad to see the old lift go, slow as it was. Powder days here can be super fun, as I was just able to start appreciating last season when I got a pair of fat skis. Foggy powder days especially, because then you can have some amazing untracked terrain all to yourself.
I only started skiing deeper powder more confidently a few years ago. Would still want a day or two at GT with visibility before heading off Blackfoot on a foggy powder day. I know Alta best so low visbility doesn't bother me there.

By the way, after you have more posts then you'll be able to see all the Divas Only sections. Should be able to see Getting to Know You already.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Hi Ladies, so I skipped an entire season on the site - last year was slow for me in terms of skiing (only 9 days). For this season I look forward to putting in more days, and I am specifically focused on improving my telemark skills on steeps and in difficult terrain (less "cheating"). Doing do will improve both my skills and my fitness.

One good thing to help increase my days, two of my friends who are ski fanatics have moved to Toulouse - one from Munich and one from London!

Oh and I look forward to being motivated by the Divas! Happy to be back with you...

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi as well! I've just had almost a year off skiing and off skidiva (couldn't cope with any ski talk) due to a knee break/soft tissue injury. ( it's been crappy) Meaning that I'm unemployed this winter.
I'm looking forward to skiing in Canada in February - actually getting on skis again and getting my confidence back. - which will be a big deal. It will be 17 months by then so is realistic, but I'm still having trouble going down stairs and hopping etc. looking at Whistler and then inland somewhere. Deciding between maybe big white or Revelstoke (remembering that I'll be skiing mostly groomers unless things are going great.)
Then I'll know if I can actually ski again and reapply for my on Mountain job in New Zealand for June 2017.
It's been difficult spending the winter in a ski town staring at the mountain out the living room window and saying " have a great day" to the family while they go skiing, and listening to the husbands mountain work stories, while I go to the gym, physio or walk the dogs.

PowderNomad

Certified Ski Diva
@NZfarmgirl I'm so sorry to hear about your knee! Being injured really sucks. I've been struggling with a neck injury from mountain biking, which has made most physical activity less enjoyable for the last few months. I've only skied a few days of this NZ ski season. Your injury sounds way more serious, but I can empathize with the frustration of looking up at the mountains before heading off to endless physio appointments.

As for Canada, I haven't skied Big White but I have skied Whistler and Revelstoke. Whistler has a lot more groomers and that would be a great place for you to start getting your confidence back. Revelstoke is fantastic fun but I honestly don't remember much about their groomers. Their off-piste runs can be really excellent. You might also consider Fernie or Red Mountain. Revy, Fernie and Red have the advantage (in my mind) of having authentic small towns near their base instead of a resort-created "mountain town" base like Whistler. Definitely a different experience from the mega-resort feel of Whistler. (To be clear, Whistler is awesome for the variety of terrain, ease of access, and mountain services -- but it's not really my cup of tea anymore.)

I hope you continue improving. Keep working on the rehab!

PowderNomad

Certified Ski Diva

Wait, what??? They replaced the Blackfoot lift with a faster one? I loved getting to rest on the old, slow double between runs down the northern boundary . . . . My thighs are not going to like this next time I'm back to GT!

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@NZfarmgirl.Sorry you've had such a crappy time.Being broken really is the worst.I remember you posting about your injury and wondered how you had fared.Hope everything is all go for February and you have a fabulous time and you are able to return to teaching in 2017.

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @heather matthews I hope you have had a decent season up there. I will update the thread I stared about my injury - it has been um ... Interesting. @PowderNomad I agree with you re. Whistler. I think it will be a good place to start but not really on my usual list. Fun to have more than one type of experience. I had a neck injury from a biking fall last year- such an annoying injury isn't it? Lingers on for quite a while. Keep up the weird chin exercises.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Deciding between maybe big white or Revelstoke (remembering that I'll be skiing mostly groomers unless things are going great.)

If you're looking for groomers and maybe more somewhat easier terrain, I would choose Big White. Also there's lots to do at the base (sort of village) area, whereas last time I was at Revelstoke (which was a while ago so this could have changed) there wasn't a whole lot in terms of activities/restaurants. Don't get me wrong: Revvie has awesome skiing, but if you're still at the taking-it-a-bit easier stage, I would opt for BW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jilly

Staff member
I concur with SkiBam.....Big White, Sun Peaks or Silver Star over Revy if you're not up to off piste.

Good luck and keep working on that recovery.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna