• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

West Coast vs. East Coast Skiing

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I've heard tell that *some* *nameless* East Cost skiers have different jackets for different temperatures and conditions. Pure rumor, of course.
I've got news for you. Us west coast skiers have more than one jacket as temperatures in Truckee can be very cold and spring conditions can be very warm. I probably have at least 6 options in jackets and pants to wear....

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can't wait to bring out my new Astis mittens which will likely be for 10 degree and colder days hahahaha. However if it's 10 degrees and sunny no way but more likely 10-15 degrees or colder with clouds and maybe wind.

You may fall in love with them and want to wear them every day =)

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
And I love the Astis but have very very small hands and probably doesn't get cold enough in Tahoe to wear. Or in Europe, where I'm headed in Feb-Mar....
Hmm would extra smalls fit my child like hands?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The rumor is totally true. I have 3 main jackets for which I generally use temperature to dictate which jacket I ski in. It's just a general guide and I layer underneath accordingly as necessary.

I totally with tongue in cheek intentions refer to an interview I saw with Tom Brady from the Pats from last season. He said he's a machine when it comes to layering. He knows what and how many layers he needs to wear for each increment of temperature.

Since moving back to the northeast I've become a bit of a jacket, layer and general gear whore so it's all fun to me. Obviously its not as linear as just temperature because of other variables like wind, sun, etc so you take those things into account as well. However, I tell ya what I've gotten pretty good at calling it so I'm almost always comfortable. It's all fun to me but our weather here can be so wacky that my goal is always to be as comfortable as possible.

Can't wait to bring out my new Astis mittens which will likely be for 10 degree and colder days hahahaha. However if it's 10 degrees and sunny no way but more likely 10-15 degrees or colder with clouds and maybe wind.

:wink:

:beer::ski:
You might need them in Banff.. Was freezing cold when I was there. As a matter of fact, we cross country skied (my first and only time) across Lake Louise b/c the wind was howling and was very cold.. Also runs are pretty steep and rated a bit higher than other places.. Drag lift to top of Lake Louise was kind of scary but runs on back bowls were awesome... Get your off piste skills ready! It's beautiful there and will love it..

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And I love the Astis but have very very small hands and probably doesn't get cold enough in Tahoe to wear. Or in Europe, where I'm headed in Feb-Mar....
Hmm would extra smalls fit my child like hands?

They have measurements on the website, so you can measure your hands and find out.

I have pretty small hands and the astis in small were just right.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have pretty small hands and the astis in small were just right.
Hmm they may be too big for me... I'm really really tiny with small hands... Like a kids. I looked at the website (thanks @bounceswoosh ) and they don't have extra smalls... I wear extra smalls in hestra gloves.... and most others... darn.

You might need them in Banff.. Was freezing cold when I was there. As a matter of fact, we cross country skied (my first and only time) across Lake Louise b/c the wind was howling and was very cold.. Also runs are pretty steep and rated a bit higher than other places.. Drag lift to top of Lake Louise was kind of scary but runs on back bowls were awesome... Get your off piste skills ready! It's beautiful there and will love it..

Astis are coming with me. I am so excited to go. Not going there until the end of February so i will be on my game by then. I plan to take a couple lessons while there too. Albertan ski girl will show us all around. Maybe i will do my first bowl :smile:

Hmm they may be too big for me... I'm really really tiny with small hands... Like a kids. I looked at the website (thanks @bounceswoosh ) and they don't have extra smalls... I wear extra smalls in hestra gloves.... and most others... darn.

Bummer......

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva

I LOVE that old poma lift!!! But hey...I also think old single chairs are charming :smile: Louise runs are a little steeper. And the back bowls are awesome...even if it hasn't snowed for days, wind = freshies and if you don't want to take the poma there's another lift that accesses the adjacent bowls...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Astis are coming with me. I am so excited to go. Not going there until the end of February so i will be on my game by then. I plan to take a couple lessons while there too. Albertan ski girl will show us all around. Maybe i will do my first bowl :smile:
I bet you do... Think @Albertan ski girl said there is a groomed bowl which you will love..... I haven't been there in at least 10 years or more but really enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong, there are groomed runs there but the bigger resorts rate a bit differently depending on vertical, size and terrain of mountain. I don't remember anything groomed in the bowls but that may have changed! It's really fun in Banff and Lake Louise... Also skied Norquay when there.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I LOVE that old poma lift!!! But hey...I also think old single chairs are charming :smile: Louise runs are a little steeper. And the back bowls are awesome...even if it hasn't snowed for days, wind = freshies and if you don't want to take the poma there's another lift that accesses the adjacent bowls...
Wish I knew that. Poma lifts are rare in the the Sierras but have skied them in Europe and at Lake Louise.... I always seem to have a death grip on them.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Speaking of...I've been meaning to get some Astis mittens if I can find a good price. I can't decide now though if I want the mittens or a down skirt - I'm only allowing myself one unnecessary accessory purchase before December...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Speaking of...I've been meaning to get some Astis mittens if I can find a good price. I can't decide now though if I want the mittens or a down skirt - I'm only allowing myself one unnecessary accessory purchase before December...
I have two down skirts. So cute for apres ski with tights and boots..

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I bet you do... Think @Albertan ski girl said there is a groomed bowl which you will love..... I haven't been there in at least 10 years or more but really enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong, there are groomed runs there but the bigger resorts rate a bit differently depending on vertical, size and terrain of mountain. I don't remember anything groomed in the bowls but that may have changed! It's really fun in Banff and Lake Louise... Also skied Norquay when there.

Yes, there is one groomed green run in saddleback bowl. The nice thing about this run is that it also gives access to some ungroomed blue terrain in the back bowls. The blue sections are short, it's a great first taste of off piste for intermediates…

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I have two down skirts. So cute for apres ski with tights and boots..

Yes! I've been looking at this royal blue one from skhoop. So cute! And since I have unexpectedly booked a trip to Whistler in December for a girls weekend… I'm considering the down skirt.

I am cool if they are steep, especially if they are wide :smile: I will save the bowl until after i am broken in a little. I am not sure whats its like to even ski a bowl haha. We have 5 days to ski at lake louise, sunshine and norquay. I can't wait to see those beautiful mountains.

I am not sure i want to see what a poma lift is lol. There was this one chair at jay peak that traversed this section of the mountain and all i know it went along this cliff and it was rather unnerving. :smile:

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I am cool if they are steep, especially if they are wide :smile: I will save the bowl until after i am broken in a little. I am not sure whats its like to even ski a bowl haha. We have 5 days to ski at lake louise, sunshine and norquay. I can't wait to see those beautiful mountains.

I am not sure i want to see what a poma lift is lol. There was this one chair at jay peak that traversed this section of the mountain and all i know it went along this cliff and it was rather unnerving. :smile:

A poma lift is not a chair. This one at Louise is basically a super steep rope tow (you put it between your legs) that drags you up over 1200 vertical feet and drops you off at the summit of mount whitehorn - it's awesome, also guaranteed to give you thunder thighs and calves. When I get to the top, I often need to take a few minutes and massage my legs and calves before I ski down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna