• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

West Coast vs. East Coast Skiing

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I saw this on UnofficialNetworks.com today, and it made me smile.

We are going to take you back to the mid-1990’s with a little East Coast vs. West Coast battle. Here are five observations by a East Coast skier who spent 9 years skiing in the West.

#5. West Coast skiers have ski outfits just for skiing. East Coast skiers have winter outfits that they use for shoveling snow, drinking outdoors, going to football games and sliding down the slopes.

#4. East Coast skiers will go skiing every weekend even if it’s raining. West Coast skiers will wait till the following weekend if the weather turns ugly.

#3. Skis over 90mm in the waist are called powder boards by East Coast skiers. Anything smaller than 100mm in the waist are called all-mountain skis by West Coast skiers.

#2. East Coast skiers can ski ice. West Coast skiers don’t have to.

#1. Three inches of snow is a powder day to an East Coast skier. 3 inches of snow is “dust on crust” to a West Coast skier.

I have to say I agree, at least with the East Coast stuff. What do you think? Do you have any observations of your own to add?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I saw this on UnofficialNetworks.com today, and it made me smile.

We are going to take you back to the mid-1990’s with a little East Coast vs. West Coast battle. Here are five observations by a East Coast skier who spent 9 years skiing in the West.

#5. West Coast skiers have ski outfits just for skiing. East Coast skiers have winter outfits that they use for shoveling snow, drinking outdoors, going to football games and sliding down the slopes.

#4. East Coast skiers will go skiing every weekend even if it’s raining. West Coast skiers will wait till the following weekend if the weather turns ugly.

#3. Skis over 90mm in the waist are called powder boards by East Coast skiers. Anything smaller than 100mm in the waist are called all-mountain skis by West Coast skiers.

#2. East Coast skiers can ski ice. West Coast skiers don’t have to.

#1. Three inches of snow is a powder day to an East Coast skier. 3 inches of snow is “dust on crust” to a West Coast skier.

I have to say I agree, at least with the East Coast stuff. What do you think? Do you have any observations of your own to add?

This is pretty funny :smile: though I'm not sure I understand #5 - is it trying to say that west coast skiers are more sports-fashion obsessed? Or...? I think I'm being dense here :smile: I have skiing clothes just for skiing because they wouldn't really be warm enough for sitting outside, going to games etc...

I would add to #4: East Coast skiers will go skiing every weekend even if it’s raining. West Coast skiers will wait till the following weekend if the weather turns ugly. Canadian skiers will go skiing regardless of the weather, because any day above -30 c is a good day! :thumbsup:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is pretty funny :smile: though I'm not sure I understand #5 - is it trying to say that west coast skiers are more sports-fashion obsessed? Or...? I think I'm being dense here :smile: I have skiing clothes just for skiing because they wouldn't really be warm enough for sitting outside, going to games etc...

Their point seems to be that unless you live in the mountains on the "west coast", the snow doesn't stick around long or it's not cold enough that you wear the same thing for both skiing and general outdoor winter wear -- your ski wear is single-purpose, whereas the weather on the east coast is wintery enough that your outdoor winter wear is multipurpose. :smile:

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Their point seems to be that unless you live in the mountains on the "west coast", the snow doesn't stick around long or it's not cold enough that you wear the same thing for both skiing and general outdoor winter wear -- your ski wear is single-purpose, whereas the weather on the east coast is wintery enough that your outdoor winter wear is multipurpose. :smile:

Ok... I totally misunderstood that one...:doh:

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
No worries! I editorialized the original for it to make sense because I'm pretty sure places like Bozeman and Jackson get and stay cold enough to wear your ski clothes for going to the post office if one chose to do so!

Yes - I totally didn't even think of that fact that many places on the west coast don't get snow in winter...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually kind of read it as factual, rather than humor ... I mean, it's pretty much all true!

I definitely wear a different jacket for skiing than for other stuff. For one thing, I think it's much more common for east coast skiers to wear insulated jackets on the slopes because it's so damn cold?

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would add to #4: East Coast skiers will go skiing every weekend even if it’s raining. West Coast skiers will wait till the following weekend if the weather turns ugly. Canadian skiers will go skiing regardless of the weather, because any day above -30 c is a good day! :thumbsup:
Yes - I totally didn't even think of that fact that many places on the west coast don't get snow in winter...
I think in the Canadian Rockies "ugly weather" is a day so cold that the skis don't glide. In the Cascades and Sierras, it's rain so thick you can't see the snow. In the US Rockies... what... any day without fresh powder? :wink:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I definitely wear a different jacket for skiing than for other stuff. For one thing, I think it's much more common for east coast skiers to wear insulated jackets on the slopes because it's so damn cold?

I may be the exception, but I only own a shell and just adjust what's under it depending on the day. I tried to minimize how much ski crap I have a couple years back.

I've actually gotten rid of my non skiing jackets and just wear my skiing jackets all winter long skiing or not because they are just so damn useful, all those pockets, etc, not to mention warm. My latest patagonia gortex jacket will be the perfect out and about winter jacket when I'm not using it for skiing. For years and years I had the most minimal of layers and just washed them often. In the past 2-3 years I've done quite a bit of shopping at the swaps and when I found deals so now have 3 ski jackets and numerous layers so I have layering choices. I don't wear the layers much for things other than skiing unless I'm going to be out and about in Vermont or outside for any length or time.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think in the Canadian Rockies "ugly weather" is a day so cold that the skis don't glide. In the Cascades and Sierras, it's rain so thick you can't see the snow. In the US Rockies... what... any day without fresh powder? :wink:

I mean, it's nice to pretend ... we get pretty whiny if there's no new snow for a week or two. Which you may see as the same as what you said ... Usually January is pretty dry, not much accumulation.

Jilly

Staff member
I wear a snowboard jacket to work or a 3 in 1. Also have a "coaches coat" that I wear to work. If it's dress up time....rocky raccoon comes out. It's a 25 year old full raccoon coat. Love it, but not practical. Old ski suits go to shoveling snow, skating, etc.

As for skiing ice, it's a skill just like skiing powder! And I always thought that another under a foot of new snow was "freshies".

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No worries! I editorialized the original for it to make sense because I'm pretty sure places like Bozeman and Jackson get and stay cold enough to wear your ski clothes for going to the post office if one chose to do so!
Perfect comment, I always kind of cock my head when people refer to Montana and Wyoming etc as being in the Mid-west but as I read this it made more sense, I think Bozeman and Jackson could fall right in between East and West on this one.

Tvan

Angel Diva

I've heard tell that *some* *nameless* East Cost skiers have different jackets for different temperatures and conditions. Pure rumor, of course.

The rumor is totally true. I have 3 main jackets for which I generally use temperature to dictate which jacket I ski in. It's just a general guide and I layer underneath accordingly as necessary.

I totally with tongue in cheek intentions refer to an interview I saw with Tom Brady from the Pats from last season. He said he's a machine when it comes to layering. He knows what and how many layers he needs to wear for each increment of temperature.

Since moving back to the northeast I've become a bit of a jacket, layer and general gear whore so it's all fun to me. Obviously its not as linear as just temperature because of other variables like wind, sun, etc so you take those things into account as well. However, I tell ya what I've gotten pretty good at calling it so I'm almost always comfortable. It's all fun to me but our weather here can be so wacky that my goal is always to be as comfortable as possible.

Can't wait to bring out my new Astis mittens which will likely be for 10 degree and colder days hahahaha. However if it's 10 degrees and sunny no way but more likely 10-15 degrees or colder with clouds and maybe wind.

:wink:

:beer::ski:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna