• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

West Coast vs. East Coast Skiing

Cygnet

Certified Ski Diva
The button lifts aren't usually difficult. There's normally a lift person to help you get on. I've fallen off once, pretty near the top, so 'just' (lol) walked up the last bit!!

T-bars, however, are another matter!! Much harder to get on, off, and ride.

I find the main downside of both these types of lift is that you don't get a rest in between skiing down.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not a poma - a t-bar. Picture an upside down "T." One "sits" (don't sit!) on either side of the bar, with the crossbar against the juncture between thighs and butt. Ideally. Usually it's somewhere else due to height discrepancies.

No, no... I get that. I just don't like the idea of sharing with someone who might make me fall. lol

Jilly

Staff member
T-bar, platter lift and yes there is a J bar all pull you up a slope. Don't sit on any of them.

Worst T bar's - Jet T bar at Jay and Sutton. Jet T bar was just that - fast. The Sutton one was a wind up with a rope.

Riding a T bar does take some skill and patience. Riding with kids is painful.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Jet t-bar at Jay used to just about do me in. Especially if I was riding with someone taller and heavier (and that's most people!). Lake Louise poma is steep and long - quite doable for me but I think I would enjoy it more if I were bigger. I truly felt at times I would be lifted into the air! (Didn't happen and I did get to the top - and it serves awesome terrain.)

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually enjoyed my ride on the Poma at Snowmass. But it goes up that big wide open area above the tree line. Beautiful. Some guy a bit ahead of me fell, though. lol

(not my photo)

2014-2-6-Snowmass23.jpg

That was A COOL Ride!! Looked like being on the moon to me

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Not a poma - a t-bar. Picture an upside down "T." One "sits" (don't sit!) on either side of the bar, with the crossbar against the juncture between thighs and butt. Ideally. Usually it's somewhere else due to height discrepancies.
I was on with this guy who was twice my size... we were laughing so hard I'm surprised we made it to the top.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I remember the one at Lake Louise WAY steeper than the photo. Like straight up at the top.....:smile:

Yeah, the photo I posted isn't really an honest one about that lift ;) that photo is from the very bottom of the poma.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some photos I found online of the Breck T-Bar --

On a clear day, almost to the top:
6313989430_4b1b987e41_b.jpg

From the side:

breckenridge-slope_2458712b.jpg

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I remember the one at Lake Louise WAY steeper than the photo. Like straight up at the top.....:smile:

I couldn't really find a great photo of the summit platter at Louise online - the best is really this, it gives you an idea of the steepness and the length of it - but even this photo, it's only about a half or two-thirds of the poma. It's a lot longer than this photos shows. You can see the top of the poma at the tippy top of the summit - and follow the line back down towards the left.

29-oct-2011-39s.jpg

@surfsnowgirl - this picture below is the ungroomed blue part of saddleback bowl - it's accessed by a green groomed run - then you cut across through this blue area. this is the area i mentioned earlier after a snowfall. if it's been a few days without snow, it's soft little bumps. but usually it's still pretty powdery because of wind drift.

saddleback-bowl.jpg

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I couldn't really find a great photo of the summit platter at Louise online - the best is really this, it gives you an idea of the steepness and the length of it - but even this photo, it's only about a half or two-thirds of the poma. It's a lot longer than this photos shows. You can see the top of the poma at the tippy top of the summit - and follow the line back down towards the left.

View attachment 6009

@surfsnowgirl - this picture below is the ungroomed blue part of saddleback bowl - it's accessed by a green groomed run - then you cut across through this blue area. this is the area i mentioned earlier after a snowfall. if it's been a few days without snow, it's soft little bumps. but usually it's still pretty powdery because of wind drift.

View attachment 6010
AWESOME!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly