• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

United Kingdom trip report 6/24 - 7/5

A week from tonight we will be on a plane flying into Dublin. Our friend Tracey and her daughter Brianna with whom we ski with in Vermont will be there and we will meet up.

We fly into Dublin on June 25th and take the ferry over to Wales where after a short taxi ride we will be at our first bed and breakfast. We will have a few days in North Wales. Then we will head down to Yorkshire to meet up with Traceys friend Jill for a few days here and Liverpool, etc.

Then Michael and i will take the train from Manchester to Holyhead for the ferry back to Dublin whew we will have the evening and much of the next day to play around dublin. Likely hitting Guinness and/or the Jameson distillery. We fly back to the states on July 5th.

Tracey is very good at finding castles and quaint places for lodging so i am over the moon excited about it all.

Michael has been to the UK many times. I have been to London and Edinburgh, Scotland and LOVED it all. I have never been anywhere else in the UK so i am beyond excited.

I will post pictures here and there.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Likely hitting Guinness and/or the Jameson distillery.

When I was in Dublin a number of years ago, I got the recommendation that the Jameson tour was better than the Guiness tour if you only have time for one. I was not disappointed in following that recommendation.

Sounds like a fun trip, enjoy!

My friend Tracey and her daughter are already there, we'll see them saturday. In the meantime here's a couple pictures that Tracey posted.

Brianna thinks she's playing with the innkeeper's border collie, but the dog is a trained herder, and she's actually herding Brianna with the "come by" loop. Best. Babysitter. Ever.

First pint of the trip in an English pub. Old Speckled Hen ale.

Chatsworth House, family pile of the Duke of Devonshire, and set for nearly every version of "Pride and Prejudice."

13532999_10210455498527589_8190635430490001163_n.jpg

13466370_10210455498967600_7333923445917238414_n.jpg

I am not sure which I'm more excited about, the drinking proper tea, the scenery or some damn good beer on draft.....

Have some Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert, too.

I got hooked when we were in Scotland last trip. I will be definitely be needing weight watchers after this trip :smile:

Tracey just posted this. Anyone acquainted with the Anglican Church know what this symbol on 19th century headstones means? Don't think I've ever seen it in other parts of the U.K.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
When I was in Dublin a number of years ago, I got the recommendation that the Jameson tour was better than the Guiness tour if you only have time for one. I was not disappointed in following that recommendation.
Sounds like a fun trip, enjoy!
We did the Jameson tour, too, and it was awesome!!!

@surfsnowgirl, your pictures are great! I particularly love the staircase one!

We just landed. I love flying international, fully fed, ahhhh. Is 5 am here, jet lag hadn't hit me yet. Temps are 51 which makes me happy. Will post more later.

Why i love flying international. This is just the beverage service, main meal, coffee and tea service and muffin/juice not pictured.
20160624_190759_resized.jpg

Waiting in Dublin port for our ferry to Wales.

A delicious scone with butter and jelly and my first tea of the trip, ahhhhhhh

20160625_012210_resized.jpg

Finally over the jet lag today, yesterday was brutal. Started off the day with a traditional english breakfast and some fine tea. Its so good to be in a region where good tea is a staple............. Went to Beaumaris Castle, Isle of Anglesey, North Wales. More pictures to come but here is from today. Now I'm going to sleep because I am so full, ate steak pie with sticky toffee pudding for desert. OMG so full.....................

13501767_10210486151773901_5590336510650865522_n.jpg

Here is a rock formation we say on the way to Beaumaris Castle

IMG_0516.JPG

Plus some really cute sheep on the side of the road

IMG_0523.JPG

We have a lot of pictures like this from Anglesey.

Thats exactly where we were. Tomorrow we head to Betws-y-coed for a couple of days. We hike Snowdonia National Park on tuesday.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thats exactly where we were. Tomorrow we head to Betws-y-coed for a couple of days. We hike Snowdonia National Park on tuesday.

We stayed there for two/three nights. It's beautiful, and IIRC it's a center of outdoor recreation in the area.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Finally over the jet lag today, yesterday was brutal. Started off the day with a traditional english breakfast and some fine tea. Its so good to be in a region where good tea is a staple............. Went to Beaumaris Castle, Isle of Anglesey, North Wales. More pictures to come but here is from today. Now I'm going to sleep because I am so full, ate steak pie with sticky toffee pudding for desert. OMG so full.....................

13501767_10210486151773901_5590336510650865522_n.jpg
What a nice pix... is that your new red patagonia?

What a nice pix... is that your new red patagonia?

Thanks. No that's my basic rain coat from Eastern mountain sports. I thought the Patagonia might be too much. It's not much thicket but it's warmer, etc ands i really just needed a thin shell so l chose the EMS coat. DH bought his marmot minimalist coat and loved it.

Had a lovely day in Caernarfon yesterday. Stopped a grocery store for supplies. I swear food is cheaper over here. Had a snack by the water. Then off to Caernarfon Castle which was truly awesome. Stopped in this charming pub for a pint. Stromgbow Cloudy is my new favorite cider. Lovely drive up to Betws-y-coed through Snowdonia National Park. Staying in this utterly charming inn. Love how all inn rooms have a full tea setup including a percolator. Tea is serious business in the UK. Looking forward to a nice hike in the national park today.

Will post some pictures later

Cygnet

Certified Ski Diva
Tracey just posted this. Anyone acquainted with the Anglican Church know what this symbol on 19th century headstones means? Don't think I've ever seen it in other parts of the U.K.

The symbol is the 3 letters I, H, S. There seem to be a few ideas as to it's origin and meaning: It is probably an abbreviation of Jesus' name - in Greek. In greek 'Jesus' is spelt “ΙΗΣΟΥΣ” (ie Iota Eta Sigma) which tranlates into the English alphabet as IHS. Other suggestions are that it is an acronym of 2 Latin phrases "Iesus Hominum Salvator” (“Jesus, Saviour of men”) and “In Hoc Signo” (“In this sign…[you shall conquer]”). A rather unlikely suggestion is that it just means 'In His Service'. The symbol was adopted by the early church and is now common in church art and architecture.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna