• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Type II vs. Type III skiers?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I figured as much, but as a point of "information building"....

Yeah. I do wonder, in retrospect, if maybe I did set the Vivas to type 2 and have forgotte. but I'm pretty sure they're 6.5, just like the rest.

But I remember Phil saying that having the DPSes set to 7 didn't contribute to my injury. So how important is a half DIN? Is it relative to the absolute number? Like, is .5 at 3 twice as significant as .5 at 6?

Jilly

Staff member
I can remember thinking, he shouldn't be coming out of the binding like that. As a CSIA member we are not allowed to touch the students equipment to make any changes. And having watched and done some work in the back shop, I wouldn't. Manufacturer's actually have tests that they want shop employees to take (and pass) to be allowed to work with their bindings.

There is an insurance portion to the work too. What you put down on the form is what they are going to put the settings at. It's not worth lying about either. Those form have to be saved just in case something happens.

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think determining the correct DIN is more an art than an exact science. On the charts used to set DIN at barely 5 foot 6 and about 125lb I’m right on the margins of where the charts point to a 5.5 or a 6.5 DIN. If I go up to 130 lb (and for most of my adult life I’ve been closer to 135) I look like a 6.5. Then there’s the question of what kind of skier I am. If you ask me if I’m aggressive I’ll say no (and always would have) but if you ask me what I like to ski, I’ll (still) say as steep as I can find as fast as I can! I had my DIN raised at one point because I was popping out. But on the day I crashed and fractured my tibial plateau, bindings didn’t release. It’s possible they shouldn’t have because I’m fairly sure it was twisting rather than impact that caused the damage, but still ....

alison wong

Angel Diva
Part of this is an experience thing.
Yes.... I figured that must be it.... I don't think I will ever figure such thing out just by looking at the bindings.... as if I know what I should be looking at!

So how important is a half DIN? I
I am curious to know as well. Because I got new boots and is now 1 size smaller. However, my DIN is only changed by half point. It went from 6 to 6.5 (label myself as type II). My BSL changed from 278 to 266.

Jilly

Staff member
The shorter boot must make more torque on the binding. Someone with a engineering background might be able to explain that better.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been putting myself down as a Type I despite the techs confusion. I ski slowly and cautiously and I've never popped out of a ski accidentally at that setting. I'm skiing green and blue groomers. I could realistically put down II but is the point to set your DIN as low as possible to be safe? I'm not skiing bumps or hucking cliffs. I fall pretty frequently and I'm not on terrain where I'd rather the ski stay on than pop off.

newboots

Angel Diva
No, the point is to set the DIN where it will release the bindings when it should, and hold you in when it should. When you ski challenging terrain, you need the bindings to hold you in when you go over a bump or some rough terrain. But sometimes, with those very-low DIN settings, it hardly even has to be rough.

My dear BF kept telling me that my bindings were releasing prematurely last year. But it wasn't until spring skiing that I felt it. The snow was soft but bumpy - piled up a bit here and there - and I was skiing over a little pile of it perfectly competently when one skied popped off. I didn't need it to release. It didn't prevent a fall (actually, it caused me to fall). That's when I agreed to let him dial it up a little bit.

I'm still pretty cautious. But I'm progressing! And I've had my moments when I'm glad my bindings held me in. Of course, ymmv.

:ski:

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About the age 50 thing, I am under the impression that it's more about the joints and bones and even muscles being more prone to damage, all others being equal. A whole DIN step is a bit abrupt, but often the body does change dramatically, especially between seasons. Menopause (and manopause) is a factor, too, like it or not, sometimes for the better, but sometimes not. I wouldn't change the setting mid-season, but would experiment with it a bit lower the next season.

@newboots, it's fantastic to follow along your progress! As your case demonstrates, the Type ratings are not just about aggression or/and skill, but about terrain and snow quality, too. People barreling down firm groomers but going home when things get rough could be Type II, but medium-speed rotary turns in cream cheese could be Type III or more. Being "cautious" can mean more hockey stops on rough snow, which could call for Type II rather than Type I.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About the age 50 thing, I am under the impression that it's more about the joints and bones and even muscles being more prone to damage, all others being equal.

As someone well over 50, I can say that I know my body better than a DIN chart. A mandatory setting because of a calendar just sets me on fire. (Nothing personal, Fluffy Kitty. My ire is not directed at you at all.)

I am amazed at my friends who are suffering from a variety of ailments, literally from head to toe. Knee injections and hip replacements and spinal fusions and whatnot. Cancer and heart attacks and lung disease. I am so blessed to be healthy.

My 84 year old friend, who I skied with a few weeks ago, simply refuses to let a few aches and pains stop her from doing what she wants. She skis as well she can on whatever she can and enjoys the day. Contrast that to my 33 year old friend who lives a sedentary life and would rather sit in the condo and complain about being bored.

I just want my skis to stay on when I speed up and come off when I fall, regardless of the year I was born.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, the point is to set the DIN where it will release the bindings when it should, and hold you in when it should.

Mmmmm.... If that's the point then I would say Type I is doing the job. I've never experienced a ski popping off during regular skiing or speed changes or terrain changes... my DIN is a 5.5 at I and 6.5 at II. Can you make special requests for like a 6 to split the difference?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mmmmm.... If that's the point then I would say Type I is doing the job. I've never experienced a ski popping off during regular skiing or speed changes or terrain changes... my DIN is a 5.5 at I and 6.5 at II. Can you make special requests for like a 6 to split the difference?

Yes! you can always request where you want your bindings set, you may have to sign something that you wanted it at 6.. (I have to initial I picked the DIN)

newboots

Angel Diva
@newboots, it's fantastic to follow along your progress!

Oh, thank you! I have surprised myself, very much.

I think it's partly due to a couple of really good instructors, being pushed to more challenging terrain by my dear BF (cursing him all the while), getting tips from Divas (and one random stranger) when I've skied with them, and reading everything I could get my hands on. And determination.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My dad and I had this discussion a lot this season. He considers both of us type 3, though I'd always called myself type 2. He is convinced he pre released on a demo because the shop set his din lower because of his age. I on the other hand had been skiing the same din since I was about 2" shorter and probably 40 lbs lighter and wasn't pre releasing. I still say I'm type 2 because I'd rather my skis release in a fall than have them stay on and risk injury. I also had a rep say he will occasionally set dins lower based on skier preference but not higher. As long as it's only a small difference, at the end of the day it's your skiing and your body that is affected so it has to be comfortable for you

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Small BSL usually means higher DIN
Well I was told the combination of my height, weight, age, type of skier and BSL (maybe I assumed a shorter boot sole length would keep the DIN setting lower - haven't confirmed that though) determine DIN setting.... funny thing is these are usually "automatic" calculations and different demo shops have different ways of calculating. . The last demos I tried (Sheeva 10's in tahoe) DIN setting calculated 4.5 but seriously not always....

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Small BSL usually means higher DIN

??? Never heard that? A Smaller BSL is Higher DIN??

I would think the opposite Someone with a BSL over say 320, is usually larger size person w/larger feet/boots/BSL than someone with a BSL of 250?
I never thought of BSL 's as dictating anything other than the binding set up?

The weight/height and aggressiveness of a skier is what I think of when setting a DIN
My BSL hasn't changed more than millimeters with new boots it's been 285-287.

I ski the same but if I weigh more, I want a tad more DIN so no accidental pre-release and as I lose weight I lower my DIN.
I don't agree with the lesser DIN because of my age.. maybe in 10yrs I'll go along with it but right now I still ski like I'm younger. LOL

Here's a DIN Calculator https://www.dincalculator.com/#/

But even that could put your DIN too loose or too tight. You do want them to release when needed

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I don't agree with the lesser DIN because of my age.. maybe in 10yrs I'll go along with it but right now I still ski like I'm younger. LOL

I don't, either. I mean, this makes no sense. Did I all of a sudden cross a magic line just because I had a birthday? I'm a better skier now than when I was younger, so why should my DIN automatically become lower?

I signed a liability waiver that i wanted my DIN set to 4.5 not 3.5 or 4. I'm type III but older and petite with small bsl.

I always claim to be a Type II skier. I'm pretty aggressive, but I've been told that Type III is really more for racers. And I'd like my skis to come off if I fall, too. My DIN is 4.5.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hmmm on the DIN calculator there's a chart that DOES show Highest BSL w/lower setting?

I guess I need a boot person to explain that. all the 315+ BSL people I know have really high DINs
interesting.. bigger feet release quicker?? never would have guessed that

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna