• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in the Mid-Atlantic (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV) for 2014-15

Ski_MoM_VA

Certified Ski Diva
I've been exploring ski areas between northern VA and Lake Placid, NY the last couple seasons. My daughter is in school so I have an excuse for driving north during ski season. I spend a day in what I call "tourist mode" where I ride every lift and get a feel for the place, without really worrying about what type of terrain I'm skiing. It's all fun. Especially for the smaller places where it's possible for me to ski almost every open trail in a day.

:jealous: I still have a long way to go with both daughter and my own skills.:tongue:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've been exploring ski areas between northern VA and Lake Placid, NY the last couple seasons. My daughter is in school so I have an excuse for driving north during ski season. I spend a day in what I call "tourist mode" where I ride every lift and get a feel for the place, without really worrying about what type of terrain I'm skiing. It's all fun. Especially for the smaller places where it's possible for me to ski almost every open trail in a day.
Meant to say "in school in Lake Placid." Small boarding school called North Country School where I learned to ski long ago.
:jealous: I still have a long way to go with both daughter and my own skills.:tongue:
I've been taking full advantage of being able to retire early to be a relaxed older parent. Only started working on my own skiing in 2010 after getting my daughter started at Massanutten ski school when she was 4 for the 2004-05 season. When I learned in recent years is that the Mnut ski school includes several very experienced instructors who can help intermediate/advanced adults improve technique quite a bit by making full use of the terrain available. Of course, since I can take a couple trips out west each season helps a lot to get more mileage.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Since Snowshoe is owned by Intrawest, it's part of the new M.A.X. Pass. But Snowshoe pass holders are not on the list for the upgrade (Add-on) price of $249. But someone could buy a MAX Pass for $699 and get 5 days at Snowshoe, along with 5 days at the other 21 places. In theory, that means if someone was planning ski Snowshoe at least 5 days AND go to Big Sky ($103 window 2014-15) or Steamboat ($139 window 2014-15) for a week, could get 10 days of skiing for $699. Add a driving trip to VT for a few days at Stratton or Killington/Pico, and it would be a good deal.

The MAX Pass is a joint venture between Intrawest (Snowshoe, Tremblant, Stratton, Steamboat, etc.), Boyne (Big Sky, Sunday River, etc.), and Powdr (Copper, Killington, Pico, Mt. Bachelor, Boreal).

Here are the places sorted more or less by location:

Cypress, West Vancouver, BC

Crystal Mountain, Washington
The Summit at Snoqualmie, Washington
Mt Bachelor, Oregon

Big Sky, Montana

Boreal Mountain Resort, California
Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort, Nevada

Brighton Resort, Utah
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Steamboat, Colorado
Winter Park, Colorado

Boyne Highlands, Michigan
Boyne Mountain, Michigan

Blue Mountain, Ontario, Canada
Tremblant, Quebec, Canada

Killington, Vermont
Pico Mountain, Vermont
Stratton, Vermont
Loon Mountain, New Hampshire
Sugarloaf, Maine
Sunday River, Maine

Snowshoe, West Virginia

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like the weekend of March 21-22 is the end of the ski season in Virginia. Although Bryce plans to go another week and finish on Sat, March 28. Massanutten is closing on March 22. Compared to a few years ago, definitely more good ski days in March because of improved snowmaking.

Anyone still skiing in PA or WV?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Montage and Bear Creek are both closing after this Sunday.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Elk website says they haven't even thought about a closing date yet. Definitely going through the end of March. Plattekill may go until late April. Hunter in the Catskills says they got 1-2 inches of snow in the last 48 hours. Seems like any place that is staying in the cold zone in northeast PA, NY, VT is doing pretty well for mid-March.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would bet Montage is closing not because of snow conditions, but lack of people. The PA resorts last year all closed up shop with full coverage due simply to lack of skiers. Montage is pretty far north.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I would bet Montage is closing not because of snow conditions, but lack of people. The PA resorts last year all closed up shop with full coverage due simply to lack of skiers. Montage is pretty far north.
Yep, same thing happens in the NC mountains during years when there are too many warm days and/or rain in March. Did seem like the snowy days in DC/Philly/NJ/NYC made more people think it was still ski season in early March. When I was at Hunter on March 1, it was clear that a lot more people than showed up that weekend.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowshoe will be open until April 5th. Sad to see Whitetail, Roundtop and Liberty close this weekend. I went night skiing to Liberty yesterday and they have pretty decent base.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think we're going to hit up Jack Frost on Saturday and maybe Montage Sunday? One last hurrah?

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're at Canaan Valley in WV and I think they're trying to stay open through next weekend. Afternoon conditions are fairly typical spring mid-Atlantic with a ton of mashed potatoes and pretty deep slush ruts.

It's our first trip here and we really like it! Found a great dog friendly rental too.

Tryin2Ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Had a great time at Massanutten today with @LauraVa . Ended the season on a good note with an excellent morning of skiing with not many there. I started making a lot of skiing progress towards the end of the season so I am bummed it's over so quickly. :frown:
I vow to be in shape for next winter - I can tell a difference compared to last season
(when I was in better shape). Hope you guys have a great rest of the year!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We did end up going to Jackson Frost today. Tomorrow is Montage! I may end up regretting not sleeping in at all this weekend, but I gotta say a season farewell to Montage.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sad to say that today was the last day at both Canaan Valley and Timberline in WV. :-( We did Timberline today just for comparison purposes. We enjoyed both. For next year we're thinking about a Canaan Valley season pass -- just $199 (wow!) through April 15.

It's 3 hours away vs. 2.5 compared to our home mountain of the past couple seasons, but CV has more runs, a bigger variety of terrain, and more modern facilities. Very easy to ski/in out from the parking lot, too. And for $199, no restrictions, the price is hard to beat!

Does anyone else here ski Canaan?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sad to say that today was the last day at both Canaan Valley and Timberline in WV. :-( We did Timberline today just for comparison purposes. We enjoyed both. For next year we're thinking about a Canaan Valley season pass -- just $199 (wow!) through April 15.

It's 3 hours away vs. 2.5 compared to our home mountain of the past couple seasons, but CV has more runs, a bigger variety of terrain, and more modern facilities. Very easy to ski/in out from the parking lot, too. And for $199, no restrictions, the price is hard to beat!

Does anyone else here ski Canaan?
Note that when it's snowing in WV, the drive to CV is likely to take more than 3 hours.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Timberline is having a sale for the 2015-16 season pass until March 31. $399 for a pass plus one night at the Timberline Lodge during early season (until Dec. 25, 2015). List price for the package is $755. Regular season pass price is $635.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga