• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in Colorado: Rent skis there? Take mine?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm taking my first ever trip to Colorado in January. :ski: So .... I had planned to take my skis, probably the 88 width Wild Belles. Some of my Friday ski group said they always rent and never take their gear along.

So what do you Divas do? Thanks for the input!

Jilly

Staff member
Take them. I've always taken my mountain skis. Last trip west...Temptation 88's. So you'll do find. Now if you get a big powder dump...rent!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I always take a pair of skis when flying out west now that I own all-mountain skis that I know are good in assorted snow conditions, including up to about six inches of fresh powder. The trip in 2010 before I bought the first all-mountain skis I rented demo skis all week. Most of the week I rented off mountain and changed every evening just to try something different. I was still learning what worked for me and what didn't. The 3-morning lesson package I did included demo skis from Rossi. Those turned out to be what I bought during the off-season.

Even for ski trips that are two weeks long, I rarely end up renting powder demo skis for more than 3 days. Usually only get the third day because that's when the daily rate is discounted. By the third day I take the opportunity to test out at least two pairs of skis, sometimes three.

After watching my ski buddy Bill ski deep power on his RTM 84s, it became obvious that once I had more experience in powder then my all-mountain skis would probably be fine. Took a few years, but now I'm okay sticking with my all-mountain skis (88 underfoot) on a powder day. Meaning a normal powder day with <10 inches of fresh snow. For more than 10 inches, I'd rent demo powder skis 10-20mm wider.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
As long as the baggage fee involved with taking your skis is less than it would cost to rent skis, I'd take the skis. 88 is about right to be a solid all-mountain Colorado ski.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I always take mine in the US or Canada....

bobolinx

Certified Ski Diva
So interesting to hear all the responses. We're heading to Alta in February and my friend suggested bringing our boots and renting when we get to SLC. We were going to spend the first day in SL recovering from the very late flight, adjusting to low O2, possibly xc up a canyon, and renting equipment. I will look into the cost of just bringing our skis. The last time I visited, 20ya, I just rented, and the skis were way better than mine and not too expensive. Now, I am less inclined to rent especially since my husband can be ready to roll without adjustment issues. Obviously, I'm vacillating on the issue. Have a wonderful trip Abbi.

marzNC

Angel Diva
So interesting to hear all the responses. We're heading to Alta in February and my friend suggested bringing our boots and renting when we get to SLC. We were going to spend the first day in SL recovering from the very late flight, adjusting to low O2, possibly xc up a canyon, and renting equipment. I will look into the cost of just bringing our skis. The last time I visited, 20ya, I just rented, and the skis were way better than mine and not too expensive. Now, I am less inclined to rent especially since my husband can be ready to roll without adjustment issues. Obviously, I'm vacillating on the issue. Have a wonderful trip Abbi.
How wide are your skis? I used to take my Rossi skis that were 75 underfoot when I was skiing mostly on groomers. After that, my all-mountain skis were 88 wide. For a 1-week trip to Alta, rarely have rented more than one day because of deep powder. Have been going annually for about 10 years.

marzNC

Angel Diva
No, but I'm considering upgrading to that. Of course I just got off the Renoun ski thread. Auuugh ... I need to become independently wealthy (says the woman expecting some crazy boat repair bills over the winter)!!!
Keep on eye on Craigslist. Never know, might spot a ski bag that's good enough. I flew a few times with a basic bag with no wheels when I was still working. Won't go near an airport without wheels now. Got the DB Slim Jim recently when packing light.

A Diva was selling a Sportube 2 for a good price. More than you need, but can put bulky stuff in a double Sportube when only bringing one pair of skis. I pack my snow boots, my small backpack, and a few other items in the Sportube on the way out. Even more on the way back when I may stuff in ski clothing that is easily replaceable. But I put things in bags because TSA almost always opens it up. I have the locking pin attached with string so that it doesn't get lost.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Keep on eye on Craigslist. Never know, might spot a ski bag that's good enough. I flew a few times with a basic bag with no wheels when I was still working. Won't go near an airport without wheels now. Got the DB Slim Jim recently when packing light.

A Diva was selling a Sportube 2 for a good price. More than you need, but can put bulky stuff in a double Sportube when only bringing one pair of skis. I pack my snow boots, my small backpack, and a few other items in the Sportube on the way out. Even more on the way back when I may stuff in ski clothing that is easily replaceable. But I put things in bags because TSA almost always opens it up. I have the locking pin attached with string so that it doesn't get lost.

I had a Sportube a few years ago, but it wasn't wide enough for my newer skis! I think I got that on ebay. I figure TSA opens everything! I'll keep my eyes open.

Honestly, I'm watching the weather in Colorado and not seeing much snow. I have an East Coast friend who patrols at Vail; he hasn't even left as he's not needed out there. Since I can cancel everything for no cost (except airport fees), I'm not worried. I'm also scheduled to go to Utah in March, so I can watch the snow there. Same deal with that trip.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Abbi,
I have an extra sport tube that I would sell, only problem is my SO wrote his name and address on it in magic marker! Does anyone have a solution for erasing that. It is a double, so wider skis fit (even my water ski fits!) as well as a ton of other stuff. Make me an offer if you're interested.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Abbi,
I have an extra sport tube that I would sell, only problem is my SO wrote his name and address on it in magic marker! Does anyone have a solution for erasing that. It is a double, so wider skis fit (even my water ski fits!) as well as a ton of other stuff. Make me an offer if you're interested.

Try WD-40 to remove the marker..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna