• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Pond Skimming and Costumes

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm doing it. I thought about it my first year, but didn't do it. I thought about it my second year, and regretted not doing it. Third times a charm, right?
The annual end of season pond skimming is fast approaching (end of season? Boooooo!) And I'm going to try pond skimming.
My buddy is giving me his retired powder skis to use and I believe my brothers girlfriend has an old pair of boots that I can fit into, so I won't have to screw up my good gear (because, let's face it...I'm probably going to get very wet).
The question is...what to wear. I'm not doing it in my normal gear. Do I just find some sweats and a tee or do I come up with a costume? And if so, what costume?

Go!

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
Definitely dress up. I wore my wetsuit. And bunny ears. For some strange reason I didn't think to ditch my poles but I should've. Lean back!
One friend was DuckDude. He wore an inflatable duck ring around his waist with duct tape suspenders. Another friend went as Zorro with a cape, mask, and plastic sword. Tutus are popular. Have fun and post pics!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I admire those who brave the pond (@SheSki ) -- I've seen a lot of Super Heros, Cartoon Characters, a bride and groom, some crazy decorated boxes (car, boat, train) including PBR beer boxes taped together, Lots of tutus and swim suits, one of my favorites, John Mcenroe 70s tennis look a like complete w/ short shorts and lots of balls LOL.

Those who are going to Skim, are usually skiing in costume all day..... FUN!

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right?!

Oh course, he just sent me a message that says 'the problem is, the bug wood skis are almost impossible to turn on piste. So if you want to bleed off some speed, might be tricky. Then again, best after you hit the water.'

I have never done this. If I make it, how the heck do i stop in skis that 'won't turn except in powder'?! Ack! Lol

OMG have so fun. Sou courageous of you to do this, I am too chicken. You are awesome. When is the skim?

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's Saturday. I'm so hoping they have enough snow left! Admittedly, I'm s little nervous!

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and get this! We've had this total waste of a warm winter, it's been 50-70 degrees for days. Saturdays high is 36!

I know..... if only my home mountain had more of a base by last weekend because with the colder temps coming up we'd have been able to hang for another week or two. Irritating.

You are going to have so much fun on saturday...............

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I suspect that even if we can't ski, they'll go on with the parking lot party and I know that will be a most excellent time! I'm looking forward to it.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right?!

Oh course, he just sent me a message that says 'the problem is, the bug wood skis are almost impossible to turn on piste. So if you want to bleed off some speed, might be tricky. Then again, best after you hit the water.'

I have never done this. If I make it, how the heck do i stop in skis that 'won't turn except in powder'?! Ack! Lol

Hockey stop? They don't turn well when skiing on piste, but it doesn't mean that they can't be turned into a stop and this is all you need. You have to go in a straight line and clear the pond, and they seem to be a good fit for this. Good luck and have fun!

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm doing it. I thought about it my first year, but didn't do it. I thought about it my second year, and regretted not doing it. Third times a charm, right?
The annual end of season pond skimming is fast approaching (end of season? Boooooo!) And I'm going to try pond skimming.
My buddy is giving me his retired powder skis to use and I believe my brothers girlfriend has an old pair of boots that I can fit into, so I won't have to screw up my good gear (because, let's face it...I'm probably going to get very wet).
The question is...what to wear. I'm not doing it in my normal gear. Do I just find some sweats and a tee or do I come up with a costume? And if so, what costume?

Go!
Cool! I am planning on watching the pond skim and will cheer you on!

mustski

Angel Diva
Oh, and get this! We've had this total waste of a warm winter, it's been 50-70 degrees for days. Saturdays high is 36!

Good. You have been practicing your skimming! We are having that kind of winter in SoCal also. NoCal is doing great, but we are surfing.

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cool! I am planning on watching the pond skim and will cheer you on!

@Peaheartsmama We Should Come Up With A Plan To Meet up. My ski buddies have 2 spaces in the parking lot party (At the bottom, by the 'pond'). Great group of people.

I'm admittedly a little nervous. I was given choices tonight....the Big Wood Ski (the ones I'm told don't turn...but hey, who needs to turn?) or the Rossi Soul 7. They look rediculous next to my Fischers!

Attachments

• 20160317_004247.jpg
    20160317_004247.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 12

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pictures, please!!! Have fun!!
I am contemplating dressing up for 80's retro day in April, trying to hunt down a neon ski suit for cheap, but fleebay sellers know they are popular, so I might hit our local thrift shop. (The benefits of living in a ski town :becky:.)

@contesstant OMG you should do the retro day, how fun

@BrookeK How did it go..............................

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It went....half way!

My video should upload soon, I'll post it.

Cold. Cold!
So, I used the Rossi Soul 7s @ 180. These are the skis thay were offered to me for Utah, though the general concensus was that 189 woukd be too long and it ended up that I bought the Fischers anyway. BUT I actually think I like the ski as a whole. I did some blues in them, even though they are silly long for me, and they were kind of awesome. Felt sort of like boats, the conditions weren't ideal for them, so I can't explain why I liked them...probably because I just floated over the crud! ...but I would love to ski them in real powder and not east coast whatever it was I was on today.

On to the pond. My turn came and I had a moment of 'why am I doing this?'. I took off and had what felt like some real speed. I was certain I had enough speed to make it across.

Except, I had no idea what to expect when I hit the water. I knew to keep my weight kind of back and stay in a hunch. I wasn't expecting the water to push my legs apart. But it did, which then sent my weight forward and I had this moment of 'Oh, $@!# my life, haha' before I plunged underwater.

Cold. So cold that it didn't feel cold. Every ounce of oxygen instantly left my body. I came up (it was chest high, but I couldn't get my feet down), I couldn't inhale, couldn't get oxygen, my lungs didn't work, my legs wouldn't move, I was vaguely aware that I'd lost my right ski (and later realized the lenses on my.goggles were pushed 3/4 of the way out...the goggles were all deformed, but I fixed them), all I could do was reach for the hoop being reached out to me, and hang on while they dragged me.to the end.

I wore yoga pants and a hoodie over a tank top. What's odd is that once I was out, I pulled off the hoodie, wrapped a towel around my shoulders...and I wasn't cold. I should have been teeth chattering, but I felt rather refreshed.

So next year, I know....sit back more, glue knees together.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna