• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Moving to be closer to better skiing

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Hey, I didn't say any of those things, and I said Boulder, not Denver. :smile: My bottom line is that I think NYC has spoiled me for ever living anywhere that's not decently walkable/bikeable, even if that place does have what is arguably the best skiing in north america. Trust me, I have thought about this A LOT.

Boulder they will force feed you spirulinaa, tofu, and Peet's coffee, and make you drive a prius.

Christy

Angel Diva
Funny, I used to work in a natural food store in the early 90s and I was wondering recently what ever happened to Spirulina. It was all the rage, one of many "miracle foods" (chlorella, bee pollen, propolis, kombucha...) that became popular at one time or another. So you're telling me it's all in Boulder?

Vancouver

If I had to live anyplace besides Seattle, I'd want to live in Vancouver. Too bad about visas and not being a citizen and all that.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
My understanding is that Boulder is ground zero for uber-PC living.

What exactly that means these days I'm not up to speed on:becky:

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Really? I missed all that then. But again, I wouldn't know what is PC nowadays either (except in a work-related HR sense of course!).

Personally I loved living in Boulder. It was sorta kinda like London for the reasons you mentioned. I lived a few blocks from Pearl and could walk into and around Town, and felt safe walking the streets at night. It is a pretty place, with tree lined streets. Not all the shops are high street chain stores, so it maintains some character and individuality. There is usually a festival downtown, and lots of live music. It has a villagey feel, but is large enough to maintain your own identity. For everything else there is a big city very close by. I would have enjoyed living here even without the world class skiing being on the doorstep, that was icing on the cake (with a cherry on top:yahoo:). I find everyone in Colorado to be very warm and friendly.

The surrounding towns are nice too, and have more affordable rents.

The biking, hiking and skiing is so readily accessible that even a slob like me did a lot of it, and I didn't have to put down the alcoholic, caffeine laden, red meat pie to do it. Although grease spots in lycra are a nuisance to remove.

I agree with the other posts, these are hard choices to make, partly because none of them are out and out wrong. Many of our experiences in a new place are formed by the friends we make in the first few weeks, they tend to become the core of our new social circle. Because we pick places that offer us the activities we like to do and will have social clubs/groups that engage in these activities, mostly we can be assured of success in our chosen destination.

So why did I leave Boulder? To live in Breckenridge of course ........ no more driving to the skiing.

LindsaySkiGal

Certified Ski Diva
The guy in SLC decided to stay put so I'm still in PA for now....

but I'm going to be a ski instructor this winter and I'll have a ski cabin to stay at which means skiing every Friday, Saturday and Sunday :smile:

My current plan is to try and find a job in the Denver-ish area after the season is over. *Maybe* if I have trouble finding a job in Denver, I can be a ski instructor at one of the resorts in CO while continuing my job search. I know instructing doesn't pay much but I have savings to offset the costs.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I got my first/only fishing license in Boulder. I did catch and release, though, so I suppose that's not as ironic as I first thought it was. :smile:

Sorry about the SLC gig, LSG, but good luck in the search!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna