• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Moving to be closer to better skiing

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We moved to our little town in Montana via Wyoming after leaving Ann Arbor, Michigan, where we had lived for 20 years.

We had a hard time in Wyoming (we are Episcopalians and did feel isolated in Wyoming--Mormons do socialize with families most of the time and we did not feel "left out" but that there was not a big group for potential friends)

After two years, we moved to Montana--which was the best thing that we have done in our lives!! We love it here and this is home for us. When I go back East I feel like I am inside a miniatrue train village---I want more space around me. I live 20 minutes from our ski hill and we are very happy here!!!

Lots of city folks come here and don't like it. No ethnic restaurants--only local theater groups, not much shopping, simple life style. It is not as exciting as a city.

I LOVED the skiing in SLC--although I ski powder a hundred times more here than there--there are so many people that the powder got skied off before we got to it!! Also, the bright sun is not kind to powder. here our gloomy days keeps the powder fresh!!

But, I am a believer in Bloom where you are Planted--It think you will have a great time in either city and agree that you should jump on the first one that comes available!!! Powder is fun---get powder skis and take a few lessons--you will love it!!!

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
But, I am a believer in Bloom where you are Planted--It think you will have a great time in either city and agree that you should jump on the first one that comes available!!! Powder is fun---get powder skis and take a few lessons--you will love it!!!

What she said.:becky:I was at Big Mountain, took a powder lesson from ElanGirl, had a great time, and stopped saying "who needs this powder stuff...just give me my good old eastern hardpack (aka ice)"
Now it's "when are we going back to BigMt? I feel the need for powder"

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My only 'problem' is that I'm going to need to learn how to ski powder :eyebrows: I'll let everyone know if I make the move (which if I do I'll be nervous about!). If so, I hope to meet all you SLC divas :grouphug:

In the mean time, someone needs to send some snow my way. It's still fall in pgh! :mad:
Wow, that's a rough problem to have! Have fun solving that problem!!!

If you move because of work and its over a certain distance, they might refund the season pass. I know that Tremblant does.

Many ski resorts are good about refunding for good cause, especially in this economic climate with changing jobs. Approach nicely and see what you can do.

FYI, we're going to hit SLC for a vacation this year. Maybe we'll meet you!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My only 'problem' is that I'm going to need to learn how to ski powder :eyebrows: I'll let everyone know if I make the move (which if I do I'll be nervous about!).

That's a horrible, horrible problem to have. I hope you find a remedy for that quickly. :becky:

I know the current economy sucks, but is there any chance that 1) you'd want to go back to your current job in case things don't work out and 2) you're an awesome enough employee that your current bosses would extend an open offer like that if space/budget allowed it?

Finally, a little quiz that I always found entertaining is https://www.findyourspot.com/. I did this 5 years ago, and although there's a create your password thing, I have never experienced any spam or marketing junk from them. I found that it asked some rather intelligent questions that hadn't occurred to me.

Good luck with things!

Christy

Angel Diva
I hadn't done that site in a while but I just did, and I got the same crazy results I did before. Despite the fact I put in things like skiing is most important, big cities are most important, and I only checked regions in the far west, I got Little Rock and Baton Rouge. ???

Spark

Certified Ski Diva
I didn't read all the other posts but wanted to add my story.

I moved from Toronto, ON to Vancouver, BC for my dream job and as a bonus I am now living 20 minuted from 3 local skis hills in North and West Vancouver, 1.5 hours from Whistler Blackcomb and 2 hours from Mt. Baker.

Broke-up with my boyfriend at the time and so I moved out single. It took a year and a couple months to meet the amazing circle of friends I have today and a bit longer to meet my incredible skiing and mountain biking boyfriend.

I was a bit overwhelmed with my job at first, but knowing I could always move back home to Toronto if needed, was great assurance to take the plunge.

Also, getting involved in organizations and clubs in areas that you are passionate about will help you meet more people who will hopefully blossom into some great friends.

I say go for it! I have no regrets over any of the decisions I have made.

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I moved to Telluride from New York almost three years ago, and I've never regretted it. While it does take some getting used to, now being in "town" feels almost more hectic than NYC ever did. (I've got other friends who also moved here from NYC, and they feel the same way.) It's amazing how fast you can adapt to a new lifestyle if it's something you want. I say go for it.

Christy

Angel Diva
*tangent based on TSB's post*
I have no experience actually doing this, but I've always kind of thought that making the transition from a large city to a small but walkable and interesting town like Telluride or Aspen wouldn't really be that hard. I think a lot of us city people tend to do most things on foot in our own neighborhoods anyway, so as long as I could walk to the grocery store, hardware store, restaurants, etc, in a pretty town with historic buildings, I'd think it wouldn't be too hard of a transition. It seems like moving to a suburban environment would be much more of a shock.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
We had a hard time in Wyoming (we are Episcopalians and did feel isolated in Wyoming--Mormons do socialize with families most of the time and we did not feel "left out" but that there was not a big group for potential friends)

LOL, try being a Jew in Wyoming. When I lived there, there wasn't a single rabbi or synagogue in the whole state, and people would say things like, "Gollee, ain't never met a Jew before" ( what, did they think I'd have green skin and gills?) We lived in rural Wyoming for two year when DH was an oil field geologist, back in the mid 80's.

To stay on topic, and making a long story short, we left the SF Bay Area for Eastern Washington 20 years ago, and never regretted it. While we don't live in a ski town per se, there are five ski areas within 70 miles so there are definitely a few options.

There are always tradeoffs, and whether they are negative or positive totally depends on your POV and what you deem as necessary. We started with a 10% paycut, but that was OK for us to have snow, skiing and lots of outdoor recreation almost out our back door.

abc

Banned
We started with a 10% paycut, but that was OK for us to have snow, skiing and lots of outdoor recreation almost out our back door.
But taken into account the living expense index between SF Bay to Wyoming, isn't a 10% pay cut work out to be more like a 20 % pay raise?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
whoa - whoa. Let me tell the long version...

I was in Wyoming for two years, went to the SF Bay area when DH lost his oil field job and we were pregnant; lived in the SF Bay Area for five years ( couldn't wait to leave) and then moved to Eastern WA.

A 10% pay cut to move from CA to WA did not give us a net gain. Most living expenses were on par, and when you are living paycheck to paycheck, as we were in those days, any small gain is quickly absorbed into household expenses and is negligible at best. In some cases the cost of living was higher: an example would be winter heating bills, which don't really exist in most parts of California. Or, the cost of fresh foods, Eastern WA is a long way from temperate agriculture areas. Most things cancel themselves out. You lose state income tax in one place, only to pay higher sales tax in another. The only significant difference in family expenses would be the cost of housing, in my experience.

RockSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So my question, has anyone relocated to be closer to better skiing? Where did you move from/to? Did you like it/ have you regretted your decision?

I moved from Montreal to Calgary about 6 years ago for a job, with my francophone S/O in tow. But said S/O does not want to return to Quebec, not least because of the terrific skiing near Calgary and in British Columbia, and the 6-month season. Not that the skiing in Quebec is terrible to begin with, but he was ready for a change. So I say, "Go for it!"

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My only 'problem' is that I'm going to need to learn how to ski powder :eyebrows: I'll let everyone know if I make the move (which if I do I'll be nervous about!). If so, I hope to meet all you SLC divas :grouphug:

I am still struggling with this "problem" after 1 season out here.:becky: Untracked powder is pretty easy, but the problem is untracked lasts about 5 minutes and then you are dealing with cut up powder, which is pretty challenging to me at least.

One more comment about the dating issue, it is interesting about all the coupled up 20 somethings. I had not even noticed this because there are plenty of singles in their 30's and 40+'s. By that point I guess everyone has had time to get divorced, but also there is a pretty large demographic of transplants in this age group. I have not yet attempted to date so not sure how this will be, but I know a fair amount of other people (non-LDS) in this age group who have sucessfully hooked up out here.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been reading these posts and agree with all of them. I do think when opportunity knocks and it feels right on many levels, why not?

In regards to SLC, as an 'outsider' for 40 years, the issue is less a religious one than a cultural one that needs to be considered, especially in regards to professional career aspirations. So, one needs to consider what your goals are in terms of work-life, not in terms of the single/religious prism. You see, in many fields, SLC/UT is behind in terms of women in the workplace---more specifically, women's opportunities for professional advancement. For example: Government---few females in elected office or leadership. Health industry: males dominate in management. etc. etc. I have met many women who were not prepared for the gender bias in SOME (not all) fields. And some I've known who moved out due to this hard fact.

LindsaySkiGal---since you HAVE your position, then this is a non-issue and you are free to weigh the geographic/cultural and quality of life issues between two great places.

I obviously value UT for the many things it has to offer, having turned down more lucrative positions elsewhere, because more money can't compensate for the loss of proximity to my mountains. But at a professional cost.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
*tangent based on TSB's post*
I have no experience actually doing this, but I've always kind of thought that making the transition from a large city to a small but walkable and interesting town like Telluride or Aspen wouldn't really be that hard. I think a lot of us city people tend to do most things on foot in our own neighborhoods anyway, so as long as I could walk to the grocery store, hardware store, restaurants, etc, in a pretty town with historic buildings, I'd think it wouldn't be too hard of a transition. It seems like moving to a suburban environment would be much more of a shock.

I spent 2 mos in SLC last winter and I agree with this 100%. I think Boulder is now at the top of my personal list of places I'd move to ski. Boulder also seems to have a great tech/startup scene, so I think I could get a job I really like out there as well.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, don't move to UT. It sucks. The mormons are constantly jabbing you with their horns and force-feeding you green jello and funeral potatoes. If you're over 21 and unmarried, they actually make you wear a badge on your arm so you can be indentified easily as an "undateable". The boys are ugly and the skiing sucks. Denver, on the other hand, is super cool. :eyebrows:

Ha, ha, just kidding. But seriously, I'm not going to try to convince you one way or another because honestly there's a chance you'd hate it here no matter what any of us say. For some of us, it's home. For many others, it's not their bag. I think you would have a great experience one way or another, in Denver or in SLC. Just remember, like Rachel said, you won't be alone! The Divas are here and willing to show you around. I never miss the opportunity to meet a new ski friend.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, don't move to UT. It sucks. The mormons are constantly jabbing you with their horns and force-feeding you green jello and funeral potatoes. If you're over 21 and unmarried, they actually make you wear a badge on your arm so you can be indentified easily as an "undateable". The boys are ugly and the skiing sucks. Denver, on the other hand, is super cool. :eyebrows:

Hey, I didn't say any of those things, and I said Boulder, not Denver. :smile: My bottom line is that I think NYC has spoiled me for ever living anywhere that's not decently walkable/bikeable, even if that place does have what is arguably the best skiing in north america. Trust me, I have thought about this A LOT.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna