• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Moving to be closer to better skiing

LindsaySkiGal

Certified Ski Diva
So i've been tossing around the thought of relocating to be closer to better skiing (currenly in PA). I was told that it is very possible that my company may have an opening in either Salt Lake City and/or Denver within maybe the next year. Of course I don't know anyone in either city and i'm single, so it is a bit of a stretch for me.

So my question, has anyone relocated to be closer to better skiing? Where did you move from/to? Did you like it/ have you regretted your decision?

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
not quite as big a move as you're talking about, but we moved from MA to NH almost 2 years ago.

LOVE it here! :smile:

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I moved from DC to Logan, UT 2 years ago.

I do miss city living sometimes, but all in all I do not regret my decision to be so close to the mountains.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I moved from suburban Philadephia to Vermont a couple years ago, and absolutely love it. Vermont is a beautiful state, there's no traffic, and there's great skiing only 7 minutes from my house. Off season is terrific, too. There's hiking, kayaking, biking -- all sorts of outdoor activities. Plus it's not too far from my daughter in NYC.

We're lucky enough to be able to be anywhere. But I'm an east coast person, so Vermont suits me fine.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, moved from Cincinnati to Denver 5 yrs ago this month. Love it here. Besides skiing there are lots of outdoor activities,hiking, bike trails, etc., good theatre, and friendly people. Great weather, lots of sunny days and occasional big dumps of snow.

The front range has access to a variety of ski areas but can get crowded on weekends with traffic jams to and from the slopes.

Even the air is cleaner here than in the Ohio Valley.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
We moved to Maine from Wisconsin in 01 (DH moved here in 00). This was primarily a career move for him, but the proximity to mountains certainly factored into his taking this job! :wink:

Certainly, the skiing has been better than where we had been, and we've enjoyed it very much.

But we'd been in our former city for 20 years, even in the same house. Had friends, activities, etc., long-established, and moved to a town of 2500. It was not an easy relocation (1400 mile move) or transition.

It really is "Starting Over."
Do it while you're young, though. Isn't easy after a certain point in one's life...

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
MSL, I think it's different for everyone. We lived in PA for 30 years before we moved to Vermont. It is a transition. For example, if you love to shop, forget it; but that's one of the reasons we love it so -- no shopping malls and big box stores. That said, you can move while you're young and not have an easy time of it, either. We've managed to make new friends and adjust fairly well, though.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same for me, I'm a Cincinnati native, lived there all my life. When I retired we moved to Colorado.

We would have moved earlier but we were both vested in our jobs and stood to lose our retirement incomes.

There are plenty of organizations here that it didn't take long for us to find friends.

Living here encourages visits from friends and family and it's easy to hop a plane if we need to get back in a hurry.

BlndBmbshllVT

Diva in Training
I moved from a nice upstate NY town that was close-enough to skiing, to Boston for college. I ended up crunching my last fall semester to graduate early and come to Stowe, Vermont to commence my ski bum life. It's *amazing*. Granted I was at a very flexible period in my life where I didn't have a job, or family or anything really to hold me in Boston.. but wow. I can't believe I waited so long!

There's something to be said about any place where everyone loves being there because everyone is psyched for the winter and all it brings, and their shiny new gear. It's something you don't truly get unless you're in a ski town. The ski world is a small one, and you definitely make connections fast. I loved it so much I stayed for the summer, and plan to stay here for many more summers and winters!

While Stowe can be a bit touristy at times, you know it's worth it when you ride the lift with millionaires, and they're jealous that you get freshies on Wednesdays :smile::thumbsup:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
LindsaySG, now is the time to do it. You're young, you don't have hubbie's job or family or kid's school to tie you down. If you have a job to move to so much the better. That will anchor you as you look for an apartment, get settled in, and start making friends.

Denver vs. SLC is a tough call. You have to decide which city and which mountains you'd prefer. Tough choice that I bet many women on this forum wish they had to make!

Good luck. Let us know what you decide. :jealous:

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I,too, moved from Philadelphia area to rural Vermont after living near Philly for 35 years. As retirees ,we had no jobs to go to to make friends. There are no big box stores, as Ski Diva said. No traffic. We love it!

We have been here for 5 years now and have developed a nice circle of friends. We have house guests all winter long and ski every other day. We wonder why it took us so long to make the move. Life is great!

I say that if you get the opportunity, take it. Your quality of life will improve and your chances of finding a life partner who likes to do what you like to do greatly increases.:D

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I figured you'd be hard pressed to find someone in this group to tell you NOT to do it! Those that have, love it, and those that haven't probably wish they could!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
While Stowe can be a bit touristy at times, you know it's worth it when you ride the lift with millionaires, and they're jealous that you get freshies on Wednesdays :smile::thumbsup:

Love it! This is so true of any ski town.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

LindsaySkiGal

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for all the insight! :smile: I'm probably leaning more towards Denver since it is a larger city, but I'll see what opens up next year. As some people touched upon, it would be great to be closer to more people that share the same passion for skiing. Usually here, except for the small skiing community, everyone complains about winter, the cold, the snow etc and gets excited each year at the first signs of spring :loco: which of course is exactly the opposite how I feel :laugh:

abc

Banned
For a single female who's not a Morman, I'd guess Denver holds better prospect socially. However, skiing out of Denver isn't quite the same as skiing out of SLC. Instead of 45 min to the lift, you're talking about an hour or two...

So, keep that in mind.

As for move or not move, that's a no brainer. Change is good, particularly for the young. You don't want to keep thinking "what if", "should've", "could've" for the next few decades.

LindsaySkiGal

Certified Ski Diva
The proximity in SLC is definately appealing, however, the mormon/social aspects concerns me. SLC seems like it would be a great place to live in the short term, but may not be a good place to settle (at least for me from what I've been reading). I might not have a choice depending on what opens up, but I can see myself enjoying either.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I moved to Denver from St. Louis 10 years ago. The funny part about this was I moved here because of the biking and running opportunities not skiing. I had never skied when I moved here.
I only took a lesson because I thought it would be terrible not to try it given that I lived in Colorado.

I rented my house in St. Louis in case I did not like it here. (I sold it after being here less than 1 year). Moving to Denver was the best thing I ever did for myself and I have not regretted it one day.

There is no time like now! Do it!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree, do it if you can. I live in Denver, although I prefer the skiing in Utah. But I've discovered that you can fly to Utah from Denver for the price of a tank of gas. :-)

I will say that the first year will be a shock, as you look around and miss the trees. It's pretty brown here (and SLC). But almost everyone I know who has moved from the East has gotten over that and grown to love the open, sunny blue skies and dry weather more than lush but humid environs.

abc

Banned
I will say that the first year will be a shock, as you look around and miss the trees. It's pretty brown here (and SLC). But almost everyone I know who has moved from the East has gotten over that and grown to love the open, sunny blue skies and dry weather more than lush but humid environs.
My experience was a bit different. (granted, I move to the west COAST instead of the Rockies)

I actually LIKE the brown hills! Different.

But in the end, I miss not the green but the season. And the unpredictability of rain. ;-)

It wasn't until I went back east for a visit that I remember how lush it is. And how lovely that is.

It has nothing to do with my moving back east though...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna