• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Life Hacks for Skiing

alicie

Angel Diva
I just sit on the edge of the boot when putting boots on. Do people put them on whilst still in the car.

Fanny pack makes me giggle (immature much), name is not much better here (bum bags). I don't carry anything unless it fits in a pocket.

Lift pass stays in the lift pass pocket, it never comes out as I think I would either lose it or forget it.

A fun size packet of sweets is always good.

For sun cream, I either have the little bottle, that are like 3 inches tall or the ones that have lip balm on one bit and a sun cream tube attached.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2Ski's Life Hacks for Skiing

1. Carry a ziplock bag in your boot bag. If you are injured, you can get ice from the kitchen or even put in some snow to make an ice pack to reduce swelling.

2. Don't want to carry a bulky tube of sunscreen? Put some in a contact lens case for touchups on the hill. The contact lens case is small, lightweight, and watertight. Also works for Vaseline (my go-to lip protector), hand lotion, toothpaste, etc.

3. Tie a bright bandana or wide bright ribbon on your black Transpack handle so you can identify yours in the large pile of black Transpacks.

Thanks Lilywhite, I will get carabiners for skiing. Best. Idea. Ever.

#1 = BRILLIANT!!!! How many times have I needed this???!!!
#2 I use the solid sunblock sticks instead - I managed to find some cool tube carrying carabiners (from Chums I think), so no chance of it exploding or the top coming loose and oozing sunblock everywhere - I have them attached right to my Camelback.
Aloe-Up-Spf-30-Face-Stick-Sunblock_8377412.jpg

#3 Bright pink luggage tags differentiate my black HotGear bag from all the others. :wink:

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've been wearing a pack for years and never had an issue. Noone has ever told me to have one strap of a shoulder, lifties never said anything. I will try it though but what do you do with the pack when you have poles and need to exit the chair? I prefer to have the bar down also, especially if there are foot rests :smile:.

I think I was just caught of guard, got freaked out. What I have done in the past is have the bottom straps loose so I can swing the pack around and hold it on my lap. I'll give it another test run in a few days. When I start instructing I won't be allowed to carry a pack anyway so looking at this as practice for getting used to skiing without one.
Confused by the question about poles when unloading. Was your pack so heavy you needed two hands to hold it when not using shoulder straps?

Confused by the question about poles when unloading. Was your pack so heavy you needed two hands to hold it when not using shoulder straps?

Sorry my phrasing was likely off. I just meant that sometimes getting of the chair can be a sh!t show depending on who's on the chair with ya. I just didn't want to have to have the bag hang me up cause its on my lap while quickly making sure my poles are in the other hand. Just seems a little chaotic to me. What I used to do, and I mean used to as in last season is keep the bottom strap loose so that I can keep it on both shoulders yet shove it to the side but its still in back of me. This is the easiest for me. This way I don't have a loose pack on my lap to worry about and ski poles, etc.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I got one of those as a freebie but have nothing on jacket to clip it to.

#1 = BRILLIANT!!!! How many times have I needed this???!!!
#2 I use the solid sunblock sticks instead - I managed to find some cool tube carrying carabiners (from Chums I think), so no chance of it exploding or the top coming loose and oozing sunblock everywhere - I have them attached right to my Camelback.
Aloe-Up-Spf-30-Face-Stick-Sunblock_8377412.jpg

#3 Bright pink luggage tags differentiate my black HotGear bag from all the others. :wink:

altagirl

Staff member
I just sit on the edge of the boot when putting boots on. Do people put them on whilst still in the car.

I do - whenever DH is driving, I put my boots on in the passenger seat when we pass Snowbird (basically a couple minutes out from Alta). Mainly because he gets dressed faster than I do, so if I don't start with my boots on, he will be impatiently waiting for me to finish getting my helmet and whatnot on.

alicie

Angel Diva
I do - whenever DH is driving, I put my boots on in the passenger seat when we pass Snowbird (basically a couple minutes out from Alta). Mainly because he gets dressed faster than I do, so if I don't start with my boots on, he will be impatiently waiting for me to finish getting my helmet and whatnot on.

I was thinking space wise, most would struggle with normal shoes in my car or any cars we've hired. Maybe that's why I think it's kind of strange.

RedinChicago

Certified Ski Diva
I boot up in the lodge. We have a bag to lock up anyway and I loathe walking in ski boots. Before I got them fitted it hurt like he!! DH and SD don't mind so I never hear the end of it. The places we ski are small enough that they can go on ahead anyway.

It's been better since I got my boots fitted, but I am known as the goldilocks of gear.

I don't know if this is a hack, but I have all of us in brightly colored jackets. It makes it easier to find each other, especially as we ski at different speeds. I have a Marker one that is one shade off construction worker yellow.

altagirl

Staff member
I was thinking space wise, most would struggle with normal shoes in my car or any cars we've hired. Maybe that's why I think it's kind of strange.

I know my husband thinks it's impossible, but it works for me, just sitting in the passenger seat. The funny thing is that I'd I'm out of the vehicle, I can't imagine sitting down to put boots on. Standing up makes more sense in that case.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Subaru Impreza hatchback, I can't put my boots on sitting in the passenger seat as I feel too crunched and low to the ground (probably has something to do with a car seat taking up a bunch of room in the rear). I like very much booting up by sitting on the open hatchback portion of the car. I kind of slide a toe in while sitting down then stand up and pull the tongue aside while sliding my foot in. I don't mind booting up in the car if it's not a super long walk but occasionally it's nice to boot up in a lodge (mostly I do this at A-basin because I like to get breakfast while I'm at it...)

RedinChicago

Certified Ski Diva
I'm also seeing a lot of kids with lift tickets attached to helmets. Our season passes are wierd because they're on a wicket, but I'd probably do that if they attached to a jacket. Ours get washed a lot.

snow cat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry my phrasing was likely off. I just meant that sometimes getting of the chair can be a sh!t show depending on who's on the chair with ya. I just didn't want to have to have the bag hang me up cause its on my lap while quickly making sure my poles are in the other hand. Just seems a little chaotic to me. What I used to do, and I mean used to as in last season is keep the bottom strap loose so that I can keep it on both shoulders yet shove it to the side but its still in back of me. This is the easiest for me. This way I don't have a loose pack on my lap to worry about and ski poles, etc.

@surfsnowgirl I used to do that (keep the bottom straps loose so I can have the bag shifted to the side when on the lift). It made me feel more secure on the lift so I was not sitting at the edge (or at least feel like I was). I did notice that once I switched from regular Camelbak bag to a ski/snowboard Camelbak, the backpack felt less bulky and I didn't feel like I was pushed too front of the lift seat since the design of the winter pack was much flatter. Maybe you should try a different design of the bag?

Anyway, one ski resort in PA makes everyone do the one shoulder thing and I have been avoiding skiing there since taking the bag off (of one shoulder) and putting it back on after getting off the lift was such a hassle. After every lift ride I had to stop to take off my gloves to get all the buckles buckled and adjust things...uck. I felt more like a snowboarder than a skier. I understand the safety reasons but it was very annoying and I'd rather not have a backpack if they require me to take it off for the lifts.

@surfsnowgirl I used to do that (keep the bottom straps loose so I can have the bag shifted to the side when on the lift). It made me feel more secure on the lift so I was not sitting at the edge (or at least feel like I was). I did notice that once I switched from regular Camelbak bag to a ski/snowboard Camelbak, the backpack felt less bulky and I didn't feel like I was pushed too front of the lift seat since the design of the winter pack was much flatter. Maybe you should try a different design of the bag?

Anyway, one ski resort in PA makes everyone do the one shoulder thing and I have been avoiding skiing there since taking the bag off (of one shoulder) and putting it back on after getting off the lift was such a hassle. After every lift ride I had to stop to take off my gloves to get all the buckles buckled and adjust things...uck. I felt more like a snowboarder than a skier. I understand the safety reasons but it was very annoying and I'd rather not have a backpack if they require me to take it off for the lifts.

That is very annoying to be forced to take the pack off of one arm.

Yeah maybe I should try a different bag, do you have an example of the one you are talking about, the ski/snowboard pack. I think my outdoor one is that type since it came with a bladder. I had my panic moment with the bigger one so perhaps I should go back to the smaller one or just not carry one at all?

snow cat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The one that made me feel more bulky was one like this:
https://shop.camelbak.com/store/ProductImages/details/50002_poppy_l.jpg

And the current one that's flatter is looks like this one:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/05/f5/50/05f5509a185bf9e5a9fa4d17e440b8de.jpg

It doesn't look it but the outdoor one (the first image) has that front clipped on section that pokes way out when you put things in the bag. And that was what was making it feel bulgy on the lift sitting down. But the second one doesn't have that so things either sit at the very bottom (heavy/irregular shaped items) and the flatter things like another layer I'm carrying just sits flat against the back. And for some weird reason, I feel like I carry less things because there isn't as many separate compartments. Plus, I get the option to carry skis/snowboard and other equipment on the bag if I venture off-piste or is just hiking (up a hill or to/from parking lot).

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We started using one of those big blue Ikea bags for taking our ski boots to the mountain. Easily fits two pairs and it doesn't matter if they are wet or dirty when going home. If necessary it is easy to clean. I like my ski boot bag for longer journeys though. But this solution is more comfortable for the usual weekend/holiday skiing :smile:

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't like paying too much for food when we ski, so that's why Italy is my go-to for skiing. Never paid more than 2 EUR for a hot chocolate, 2,30 for a cappuccino. I used to bring a picnic a long, but instead have chosen to ski where food is cheaper. I guess we pay about 20 EUR for 3 of us to eat lunch, which is pasta, drinks and a pastry of some sort. I've googled myself to death to find cheap ski in places, just to keep it all simple.

The handwarmers in the boots is good one - will keep that in mind, should it ever get that cold here!

karrie lou

Certified Ski Diva
I get a REALLY cold backside when I ski or just go out at night in the ski resort. I think it's the extra layer of fat that gets really chilly.
After freezing my butt off last week, I have come up with a solution to avoid the arctic arse. I get the adhesive toe warmers that you are supposed to stick to your sock and I stick them to the outside of my undies - one on each cheek. The result is totally toasty cheeks!
An added side benefit is that if I sit on one of the benches on the side of the runs in the rest areas I melt the hard packed ice on the bench seat! lol

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOLOL. I have done something like this but stick it to my lower back. It seems to help.

BUT a thread on pugski got me onto something enormously helpful: insulated midlayers. They apparently don't make these in women's fit, but they do make them in men's, and the large Arc'teryx pants fit me great. And turn my Sentinel shell pants into cozy comfy insulated pants.

https://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&model=Atom-LT-Pant

They're also available via Patagonia and some other brands, just not in women's fits. They're apparently marketed for fly fishing ...

I have an instructor who apparently also uses heated long johns. I looked at them, but they heat the quads, not the butt ... so, I wasn't sure it would help me. Not sure enough for the outlay. https://www.thermalcoreclothing.com/system.php https://thermal-core-clothing.myshopify.com/

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna