• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Life Hacks for Skiing

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump:
Now that the new season is approaching, I thought I'd bump this up. Anyone have any new hacks they'd care to share?

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for bumping because some of these hacks are great! I will definitely grab some caribiners since my gloves are always dropping.

I usually bring a small pack with me with a bladder, snacks, first aid (inhaler, bandaids, ibuprofen), small sunscreen and leave room for a sweater. Everything else goes in my pockets, or I leave it behind. My nozzle freezes only on the coldest Cali days and if it does i usually tuck the nozzle inside the pack, which is insulated. The platypus is a great idea though. Unless it’s a really cold day here, I usually get too warm skiing and have to take off layers.

Because I’m cheap and don’t have kids, I’ll often park far away from the hill where I have to shuttle and I also rarely get lockers. I’m nervous about leaving a boot bag unlocked although my friend does it all the time with no issue. So whatever I bring to the mountain is whatever I can fit on my back. My car is usually packed already, so other than a few towels, snacks, and luggage, I don’t have the capacity to bring anything too big. I hate putting my boots on in the AM though. It takes a lot of pressure to get my feet into them.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you have several RFID cards for several family members from different resorts? Here’s a tip to keep them organized.

Get a card organizer like this one. https://amzn.to/36aGVm9

Each person must turn in his or her card at the end of the day. You can see immediately whose card is missing.

So much more organized than a stack of cards in a rubber band.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You guys are amazing. I don't carry anything at all but ski clothes and gear, my DL/insurance card/credit card zipped into the pocket (in case of emergency trips off the hill) with my spare tampon (a different kind of emergency) and a lip balm, and that's it. No bags, no snacks, no drinks, no water, no camping supplies, no spare gear (carrying one pair of spring gloves and one pair of winter gloves doesn't count, I don't think), no thermoses, no hot food, no orthopedic or first-aid supplies.

I'm going to go out on a limb and wonder if the dividing line between my minimalistic approach and the uber-prepared approach is having had kids. One hauls around a fabulous amount of stuff when one has small children, and I'm wondering if being heavily laden is something one gets used to. My boot bag must weigh 25 lbs, just with the immediately-necessary ski gear and clothes. I can't imagine adding anything substantial to that.

Hahahaha It's not kids because I carry what you do and I have 2. Those ladies are just super organized! :hail:

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do! I wear nylons under my pants in winter. It helps with the cold.
Panty hose are probably the worst. Nylons trap moisture next to the skin. Moisture=cold. You won't believe how much warmer it is with wicking fabric next to your skin.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great thread, pretty much covering the essentials. I use a plastic small flask for water-----yes water---but it's flat and fits into my jacket pocket. (once when hosting at Solitude, someone saw me chugging from a flask and I had some 'splaining to do).

I've gotten fond of short b/c hikes (about 1 hour or so for exercise after work) and it's not worth taking my big b/c pack for such a short jaunt, so I tie my down sweater around my waist and for the ski down, stuff my skins into the front of the down sweater when I put it on---and ski down. I take only my flask and my phone in the pocket.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna