• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Life Hacks for Skiing

altagirl

Staff member
I'm a minimalist too. I put hand warmers in my boots on the drive up the canyon. And I carry a nose warmer that velcroes on to my goggles. Other than that, just money. Part of the enjoyment of the experience for me is stopping for a hot drink and a bite of chocolate.

I tried a camelback a few times but don't like the extra thickness over my back (even with the tiny flat model) or the frozen hose issues (which I've had even with insulated tubes and trying the blow back trick). I think my problem was that I'd lean back on it and the hose would refill. Who knows, but it froze almost every time and was useless and uncomfortable.

And I have also tried using my boot bag and taking it in to the lodge, but I don't like that either. I'm not into paying for a locker and leaving them laying around is frowned upon, and that area is a madhouse. I prefer booting up in the car and going straight to the lift. And when I stop for breaks it's usually mid mountain, so having a pack wouldn't be of any use anyway.

And I don't even break out my boot bag unless I'm going on a trip or a friend is driving. Otherwise I just have a mental checklist and carry my boots in one hand and helmet with hat, mittens, goggles, neck warmer in the other in it and go. I always keep spare hand warmers and sunscreen in the car.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had a Camelback for a season. Left it somewhere and didn't bother to replace it. My ski buddy carries a fanny pack. He re-uses a disposable water bottle that's small enough to fit in the fanny pack. Fills it when going in for a bathroom break. Works well for him. Since I like to have a small pack for extra gloves, socks, etc. now I have a small container for water in that. The flat kind works for me.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need to find a small pack to ski with this year since I got a go pro. But I dont want anything huge or bulky though, just big enough for glove liners, keys, and the go pro stuff.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I need to find a small pack to ski with this year since I got a go pro. But I dont want anything huge or bulky though, just big enough for glove liners, keys, and the go pro stuff.
I've been very happy with a Dakine Cosmo, 6.5L. Can carry spare gloves, socks, snack bar, small water bottle, Cat Tracks when I'm at a big resort out west. Found it at my local ski shop several years ago.

I have a small backpack by Outdoor something or other but I haven't been wearing it lately. I went to get on the chair lift and it was too packed I guess and when I went to get on the chair it just felt like I was going to fall off. That scared me so I haven't worn it since. I have plenty of pockets in my pants, jacket so I am good.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I went to get on the chair lift and it was too packed I guess and when I went to get on the chair it just felt like I was going to fall off. That scared me so I haven't worn it since. I have plenty of pockets in my pants, jacket so I am good.

You are much safer if you take your pack off one shoulder, swing it around, and put it in your lap.

marzNC

Angel Diva
You are much safer if you take your pack off one shoulder, swing it around, and put it in your lap.
Many places require you to at least one one strap off a shoulder, just in case the pack gets stuck on the chair in some way. Even with a little, relatively flat pack I do prefer to have a bar down for longer lift rides.

I've been wearing a pack for years and never had an issue. Noone has ever told me to have one strap of a shoulder, lifties never said anything. I will try it though but what do you do with the pack when you have poles and need to exit the chair? I prefer to have the bar down also, especially if there are foot rests :smile:.

I think I was just caught of guard, got freaked out. What I have done in the past is have the bottom straps loose so I can swing the pack around and hold it on my lap. I'll give it another test run in a few days. When I start instructing I won't be allowed to carry a pack anyway so looking at this as practice for getting used to skiing without one.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I stopped skiing with a pack a couple of years ago and never looked back. I always ended up being the one to carry everyone's stuff! Eff that. (I also think losing the pack helped my skiing posture) Platypus thingy all the way - fits perfectly in my thigh pocket even not folded. Never have a problem with that. Add a granola bar in a pocket and call it good. I don't take much with me on the mountain, but do take a lot TO the mountain to keep in the locker. Thermos of hot soup, (maybe even a thermos of hot toddies... or margaritas... haha!) a sandwich, some sweets. Sunscreen, etc. Not really hacks, just money savers. Eating on the mountain is FAR too expensive and you can feed a lot with a pot of soup!

Instead of a bottle opener I keep a lighter on me - does double duty in case I need to start a fire on the slopes while drinking my bottled beer. ;)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Several years ago I bought an earlier iteration of this pack: https://www.rei.com/product/822811/camelbak-snoangel-hydration-snow-pack-womens-72-fl-oz

But I recently bought the smallest Patagonia SnowDrifter pack, 20L, and I really like how it's designed - it's a lot of space but very flat against my back; I feel like it does a better job of being "unnoticable" than the smaller Camelbak (which isn't made anymore in any case). https://www.patagonia.com/us/product/snowdrifter-pack-20-liters?p=48190-0 It has room for a shovel and probe, so it has room for any regular ski resort stuff. No external pouch for helmet, but that isn't so important unless you're hiking a good bit. The shape of the pack itself has a lot to do with how it feels on a lift. This one is long, so heavy things will be down low, even better for not messing with your balance.

I once had the strap of my SnoAngel get caught on the chair, but somehow it came loose with just a tug. Definitely ranks high on my list of "do not do again" activities.

The scariest lift experience I've had with a pack is at Silverton. A double, no bar whatsoever, pack with probe and shovel mandatory, and the lift is a lot higher than most. Swinging it back onto your back at the top, where there's a narrow ramp down, is harrowing.

altagirl

Staff member
I actually know someone who got their pack stuck in the chair, went around the bull wheel at the top and created a huge scene with people having to get him untangled. Granted, idiot had crampons attached to the pack, but still. If you have anything that can catch (undone buckles, etc.), be careful. Even a minor pull could throw you off balance as you exit the chair.

And I totally agree with COchick, in that carrying a pack seems to be an invitation to carry crap for everyone else.

This is true because half the time I have DH's stuff in there. I actually have felt sort of rebellious and free sans pack the last 2 times I've skied :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And I totally agree with COchick, in that carrying a pack seems to be an invitation to carry crap for everyone else.

... Say "No"?

Actually, I've offered to carry this and that, but no one has ever taken me up on it.

I definitely could say no but I have been fine without carrying one the last 2 times and since I can't carry one when instructing anyway now seems like a good of a time as any to get used to not carrying one. Now a fanny pack I might get into. I do get thirsty sometimes.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the longest time I couldn't imagine skiing without a pack. Now after the last two years, I'm having a hard time imagining skiing WITH a pack again. At least for "normal" ski days. I haven't really ventured into backcountry yet but when/if I do obviously there will be different choices then.

altagirl

Staff member
For the longest time I couldn't imagine skiing without a pack. Now after the last two years, I'm having a hard time imagining skiing WITH a pack again. At least for "normal" ski days. I haven't really ventured into backcountry yet but when/if I do obviously there will be different choices then.

Yeah, that's a whole different scenario and a pack is pretty much mandatory.

RedinChicago

Certified Ski Diva
Everyone in our family has a large reusable shopping bag for their gear (hats, gloves, base layers, helmets, googles, etc). Dirty clothes come home in a large mesh laundry bag. DH brings a folding stadium chair for getting in and out of gear in parking lots.

I have a collapsible water bottle. even when we're staying in a hotel, we get subway before we go and bring it for lunch. We also bring a thermos of hot water.

I can't imagine not booting up in the lodge. I guess perhaps this makes me a princess but I am ok with that. I like putting whatever I like in my boot bag and walking up to the lodge in my boots in comfort. This has worked for everywhere I went in SoCal and Mammoth and all the places I've gone in the northeast. I don't usually pay attention to what others do and everyone is different but this is what works for us. We stop at the local grocery store either on our way up the night before or in the am on the way to the resort. We grab yogurt and sandwiches for the day. I also bring soup and hot chocolate in thermoses. I usually buy a beer but often see folks drinking beer/wine that they brought so bringing these has crossed my mind also. We go nuts bringing stuff to our usual place in Western Mass or to Mount Snow, Vermont. However, we do bring less when we go to other places but we always bring stuff. Never forget one time at Killington we spent $31 on food and we were like what did we buy and yes I'm still hungry. If we are going to eat out at Killington we'll do so at the Peak Lodge as they have restaurant style eats up there. Assuming we can wrestle a table away from the soccer moms who don't ski and hog the table with the with good views we can get a nice meal, a beer and have a great view. Usually though I refuse to partake in the lodge highway robbery of food purchase and happily bring our own stuff.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna