• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

K2 Pink Chase breast cancer fundraiser at Keystone

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow - this sounds great! I know you won't be able to post your strategies here - but keep us posted with the teams participating and please, please, please provide photos!

PS I think Katy's excuse is lousy! :p

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not involved with this but I have a bit of advice for those who may be interested in doing it, since it looks like we may have enough interest for more than one team....
You may want to post your skiing background, ability and intent.(intent may not be the right word, sorry)

I got the idea from an earlier post that a few who are interested are eager to have strategy and be somewhat competitive, while a few others are fairly laid back and may want to have a team that takes it somewhat easy.

I want to see TR's from everyone!!!!
Go Get 'em!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I'm not sure if "laid back" is the correct term. I almost always ski all day, groomers non-stop, fairly fast. But from getting to know people on this forum, I know that I am not the speediest and could not expect to win. That doesn't mean I'm not going to ski hard.

I will also work hard beforehand to get donations.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I am tentatively interested-- I need to check with my *crew.*

Not the fastest skier (being not generally a front-side skier-- can we arrange for powder and see who gets the most untracked laps, lol?), but it seems interesting.

RockiesGirl

Certified Ski Diva
I can ski pretty fast and hard but definitely need to up the fitness level in the next couple of months if I'm going to last skiing hard all day, safely! I'd like to win but think it's probably unlikely, so I'm up for a great day skiing hard, meeting new people and raising money for a great cause.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I should say that my tentative-ness is twofold. I am fit and would ALWAYS spend a day skiing, so that's not the problem.
:becky:

One, two small children and a husband who travels, so I need their thumbs up.

Two, I really am NOT a front-side skier anymore. Or a Keystone skier, because it often (not always) is crowded and has a lot of man made on the ski back down. So I am envisioning a scraped off, *firm* *white ribbon of death* and wondering how my skills will hold up to the conditions of my (Michigan & NH) youth after 13 years of exclusively skiing the west.
:redface:

SuZieCoyote

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skills

I see this event about raising money and having fun. Winning is less important.

I am an advanced skier. Mostly ski at Breck/Vail/Keystone. Love off-Piste terrain, steeps, bumps, etc., but have never raced. Fast on steeps and groomers, slower in the bumps and trees. Never skied east-coast, so WROD might be a challenge for me. I am fit and can ski all day (will focus on Keystone early season to better learn the runs). I am also very competitive, and understand the drive in others, so I would not want to slow down a killer fast team from their chance to win.

I would be happy to be on (or lead) a team of women who have similar skills. :grouphug:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I am hoping that by Dec. 12 conditions will be better than a WROD.

Will North Peak and Outback be open? I don't know. I remember skiing Outback a couple of years ago where there were giant snowmaking "whales" to contend with, and I certainly wouldn't want to do that in a race.

Does anyone have any anecdotal info on when North Peak and Outback typically open? I'll check our records for the past few seasons and see what I can come up with, but I'm not sure we would keep that kind of info in our stats.

RockiesGirl

Certified Ski Diva
I am hoping that by Dec. 12 conditions will be better than a WROD.

Will North Peak and Outback be open? I don't know. I remember skiing Outback a couple of years ago where there were giant snowmaking "whales" to contend with, and I certainly wouldn't want to do that in a race.

Does anyone have any anecdotal info on when North Peak and Outback typically open? I'll check our records for the past few seasons and see what I can come up with, but I'm not sure we would keep that kind of info in our stats.

I found this article, dated 5 December 2008:
https://news.vailresorts.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=47#

So with good snow they've previously opened expert-only terrain on North Peak and the Outback. Dec 12 is only a week later but this season is already off to a great start in the Rockies...

I'm with you, SuZieCoyote, and it sounds like we're very similar in ability. Would be happy to ski Keystone early with you too.

SuZieCoyote

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a Thought....

I would be willing to design and produce something that says "Ski Divas" we could all wear for the race - perhaps an XL Tee that would go over our jackets or a bandana to pin to the back. I was thinking that maybe if we promised donors of "X" amount that their logo would be on the shirt, this would help us get more support. Or individual donors names could go around the bottom of the shirt, for example. Lots of ways to do it. Not looking to make any $$ - I would donate all the design and silk screen work-up costs. I would only ask for enough to cover the cost of each person's shirt.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
SO cool and extremely generous, SuZie! Let me know if you need the logo and I'll get it to you.

This is really shaping up into quite an event!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
SuZie, that's a fantastic idea!

OK, I'll play . . .

I am an advanced skier. Generally ski Keystone and Vail, some Breck and A-Basin (early and late season). Also a lot of Mammoth Mtn. in CA. Ski at least 75 days a year (only got about 50 the year I hurt my knee). I like to ski powder and trees, don't do bumps due to "bad" right knee from tibia plateau fracture 3 seasons ago. Knee does not slow me down on groomers.

I started skiing on the East Coast where ice isn't ice unless it's blue; otherwise it's "frozen granular" or even "packed powder", :loco: so I can handle hardpack early season conditions. We will begin our ski season as soon as I get the cast off my right arm (hopefully it comes off Oct. 16). I will have a lot of ski days before Dec. 12. I am in good shape from biking and going to the gym. I rarely stop or slow down on a groomer, unless ski traffic requires it. I generally ski from 9 - closing and often fight hard to get "last chair".

We divide our time between Mammoth and the Summit. This year we will be volunteering as on snow helpers for Mammoth's Disabled Sports Program. We want to start "giving back" to the mountains and the sport that have given us so much, and the Pink Chase is another way to do just that. I also want to meet more Divas this year, as the few I met last winter were great. I would be happy to ski with SuZieC and RockiesGirl, or on any other SkiDiva team.

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know that at least one of my co-workers wants to do it too (although she's not a diva). I think that brings our total to 5. I'm tempted to start sending Mollmeister peer pressure emails...

I'm not a good organizer, but I'm good at doing what I'm told, so just tell me what to do. And I should note that I'm competetive not because I try to be, but more as a compulsive tendency (which itri can attest to). So you should count on me to ski fast.

Also, my hubby has volunteered to run support staff for the day, so he'll be carrying food, water, etc.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So the list is now as follows:

Shannon D
Skibum4ever
SuZieCoyote
RockiesGirl
friend of Shannon D (maybe)

If you can get one more, that's two teams!

SuZieCoyote

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another makes 6

My friend Kelly is considering running with us as well.... she's a killer skier and raced for 7 years..... She's working her schedule; will know more next week.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna