• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hunting for a high end insulated ski jacket - roomy XL

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I too just keep telling myself to just lose fat.
Today i broke down and bought a size L jacket
Bey bey medium
Sad day
:-(

It's better to have clothing that fits well and makes you feel good and look good and performs well.

But yeah. Who knows. Maybe things will change and you can find a really nice medium =)

Sparky

Angel Diva
@bounceswoosh - not sure if you saw, or if that's the color you want, but that blue/green Powslayer jacket at evo is additional 10% off now, making it almost 50% off regular price. Not bad considering how pricey it was.

Also, I believe one of Patagonia outlets 40% off sales is still going on. They're pretty good about phone sales, so if there's a past season item you want, call around and see if they have it!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@bounceswoosh the 40% sale is going on in the Santa Cruz store now... As @Sparky mentioned they will check inventory for you ... I bought the torrential rain jacket. Pretty blue color with pit zips $69

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
They also had bibs but I'm pretty petite so nothing in my size.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@bounceswoosh - not sure if you saw, or if that's the color you want, but that blue/green Powslayer jacket at evo is additional 10% off now, making it almost 50% off regular price. Not bad considering how pricey it was.

Also, I believe one of Patagonia outlets 40% off sales is still going on. They're pretty good about phone sales, so if there's a past season item you want, call around and see if they have it!

Yikes. Don't tell me these things!

This one, right? https://www.evo.com/outlet/shell-ja...agonia-powslayer-jacket-women-s-epic-blue.jpg

Thing is, this season was apparently updated. Meaning that there are new features this season, but also that the fit may be different. Knowing Patagonia, is probably different. Bigger, smaller, who knows?

I got an email today that my old Arc'teryx jacket arrived at their service center and will be assessed. But then it said, "PLEASE NOTE: Our warranty processing time is currently between 4-6 weeks. If your request is time sensitive please give us a call."

Context - their decision about how to handle my shell will determine whether or not I consider buying a Patagonia shell (bowl or slayer). Or in other words, whether I should return the shell that's currently in my possession and would need to be shipped back.

I assume, though, that "process" includes everything through shipping an item.

In the one instance I've done this before, I seem to recall that I got a pretty speedy response. I'm trying to decide if I should call and ask how long the eval piece is expected to take, or just sit tight.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Do you have any idea how long that code goes for?

Sparky

Angel Diva

This one, right? https://www.evo.com/outlet/shell-ja...agonia-powslayer-jacket-women-s-epic-blue.jpg

Thing is, this season was apparently updated. Meaning that there are new features this season, but also that the fit may be different. Knowing Patagonia, is probably different. Bigger, smaller, who knows?

I got an email today that my old Arc'teryx jacket arrived at their service center and will be assessed. But then it said, "PLEASE NOTE: Our warranty processing time is currently between 4-6 weeks. If your request is time sensitive please give us a call."

Context - their decision about how to handle my shell will determine whether or not I consider buying a Patagonia shell (bowl or slayer). Or in other words, whether I should return the shell that's currently in my possession and would need to be shipped back.

In the one instance I've done this before, I seem to recall that I got a pretty speedy response. I'm trying to decide if I should call and ask how long the eval piece is expected to take, or just sit tight.
4-6 weeks?! Tell them it's time sensitive, ski season is starting! Lol. Hopefully it works out and you can return the powder bowl she'll and save some money. And get a brand new Arcteryx!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
You probably live pretty close to the store, must be nice! Do you have closet full of Patagonia?!
Are you kidding ? A closet full indeed. Down sweater, down shirt, hooded ultra light down coat, down vest, base layers, insulated ski jackets , long rain coat, rain jacket for a start. Oh and several pieces of luggage! Store is about a mile from my house.....

Sparky

Angel Diva
Are you kidding ? A closet full indeed. Down sweater, down shirt, hooded ultra light down coat, down vest, base layers, insulated ski jackets , long rain coat, rain jacket for a start. Oh and several pieces of luggage! Store is about a mile from my house.....
Haha, love it, so jealous!!!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Call!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, in a problem entirely of my own making:

As several of you suggested, I called Arc'teryx. Just like me, everyone else in the world started looking at their winter gear and sent it in for evaluation. They have multiple "skids" (piles of clothes over 6'), arranged roughly by date. They expect to be able to give me an answer by Nov 14-15.

If I love the PowSlayer jacket, no problem. 365 day return.

If I don't, I'll have to make a decision about the Powder Bowl jacket, which definitely fits. Do I keep it and run the "risk" of liking whatever Arc'teryx offers? That could range from repairing, to me deciding the cost of repair is too high, to them offering me "new old" stock or a current jacket. Or do I return it, even though I got a very good deal on the jacket, and I might not get that deal again this season?

In the meantime, I don't have my ski shell. I do have other options. They all require different layering, layering I haven't perfected yet - but I'll be able to ski.

TL;DR: Send your shell in for evaluation in the spring, not late fall.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Forgot to mention. I asked the Arc'teryx rep about the fit of the new Sentinel vs old. I was told three things that can't possibly all be true.

* The fit is the same
* They made the jackets less straight up and down
* The new model is intended to work for people who don't have long and lean climber bodies

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe they meant the fit is the same, as in how close to the body it fits, but the shape of the jacket is different, i.e. better for curvy folks.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe they meant the fit is the same, as in how close to the body it fits, but the shape of the jacket is different, i.e. better for curvy folks.

Maybe!

Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself. They may decide the fading isn't sufficient and offer to charge me for repairs rather than taking ownership of the jacket wear.

newboots

Angel Diva
Maybe!

Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself. They may decide the fading isn't sufficient and offer to charge me for repairs rather than taking ownership of the jacket wear.

Hive mind of women skiers has been unable to resolve this problem. It is clearly insoluble.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last season's PowSlayer arrived from Evo. I could definitely wear it, but it's tight in the hips. It's also definitely more of a pure backcountry construction, ultra light weight with no backing on the shell. I already have a (different from all these others we've been discussing) jacket like that, and I don't wear it skiing because it's just a little *too* light weight.

So then the question was whether to keep the Powder Bowl or not. It definitely fits; roomy, even. Plenty of room for layers. I hemmed and hawed, but ultimately I have no idea what Arc'teryx is going to do about the RMA, and I like the Powder Bowl, and I got a screaming deal. So I ripped the tags off. I'll be wearing it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna