• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hunting for a high end insulated ski jacket - roomy XL

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear a medium, but it definitely runs large, I should've ordered down a size. Not sure if they keep up the "runs large for size" to other sizes...

Yeah, it's always a crapshoot!

I'm not as big a fan of the colors there. Worth a look if the TNF and Patagonia jackets don't work out.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went to the Patagonia store. They did not have an XL in stock in any color, but I was able to check it out and I could just zip the L over my puffy, so I suspect XL will be good.

I found out that for the whole company they have manufactured three XL jackets in the color I like. Three. This explains so much.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I went to the Patagonia store. They did not have an XL in stock in any color, but I was able to check it out and I could just zip the L over my puffy, so I suspect XL will be good.

I found out that for the whole company they have manufactured three XL jackets in the color I like. Three. This explains so much.
Three? Makes you wonder why they even bothered.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Three? Makes you wonder why they even bothered.

Well, if they hadn't, I'd be down to exactly one jacket to consider ... so I'm glad they did.

The shop rep (who of course doesn't speak for actual production strategy) commented, well, yeah, we sell a ton of Smalls. And it took me until after I left to realize the answer would be, Yeah, I wonder how many XLs you'd sell if Patagonia actually produced them ... let alone stocked XLs in the store so you can try them on! (I looked at several products. Nothing seemed to be stocked in XL.)

Jilly

Staff member
Maybe they think like lulu lemina...if you need that we don't want you in our stuff. I really hope not!!!! It's a huge market!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Maybe they think like lulu lemina...if you need that we don't want you in our stuff. I really hope not!!!! It's a huge market!
sorry I started laughing when I read your post. I'm pretty darn petite and lululemon sizing is way small and too cult like. I'm sick of it. I got rid of most of that stuff.
BTW, Patagonia now has XXS sizing so maybe increasing their sizing on both ends?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well, if they hadn't, I'd be down to exactly one jacket to consider ... so I'm glad they did.

The shop rep (who of course doesn't speak for actual production strategy) commented, well, yeah, we sell a ton of Smalls. And it took me until after I left to realize the answer would be, Yeah, I wonder how many XLs you'd sell if Patagonia actually produced them ... let alone stocked XLs in the store so you can try them on! (I looked at several products. Nothing seemed to be stocked in XL.)
True. I guess I was also assuming that the unsaid follow up was "and they're already sold out". If you can get one you can be pretty darn sure you won't run into anyone else with that color!

Jilly

Staff member
I just noticed that spell check didn't like that name at all. Surprised anyone could figure that out.

I not small, but I'm not average either. I can wear a Salomon Large, but add in another 10lb and it's not going to fit. And no lady should have to wear men's stuff just because the are not size 16 or smaller.

Pet peeve....back to topic!!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
True. I guess I was also assuming that the unsaid follow up was "and they're already sold out". If you can get one you can be pretty darn sure you won't run into anyone else with that color!

Yeah, they are shipping me one. I'll have it and the TNF at the house at the same time to compare.

I just noticed that spell check didn't like that name at all. Surprised anyone could figure that out.

I not small, but I'm not average either. I can wear a Salomon Large, but add in another 10lb and it's not going to fit. And no lady should have to wear men's stuff just because the are not size 16 or smaller.

Pet peeve....back to topic!!

Pretty much on topic. My search would be a lot easier if I were smaller!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We were in the lululemon store in Sun Valley and the sales person started gushing over a totally emaciated woman telling her how cute she was because she was so skinny. We walked out.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I think they are struggling to find a middle ground. For a long time everything was very tailored to the endurance athlete physique and then last year they seemed to resize everything making everything bigger and boxier which people didn't like either. They might be open to feedback?

Jilly

Staff member
I just got an unsolicited catalogue in the mail from Patagonia. I've never bought their stuff so don't know where they got my name.

newboots

Angel Diva
I just got an unsolicited catalogue in the mail from Patagonia. I've never bought their stuff so don't know where they got my name.

These places buy and sell mailing lists, from other catalogs and possibly from one's internet purchases. It's very scary how much they know about us! (Although if all they knew was what we like to buy, it wouldn't be that big a deal. But they know more.)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get mail from a lot of random companies. Patagonia makes sense because I bought something from them under a pro deal one year.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I get mail from a lot of random companies. Patagonia makes sense because I bought something from them under a pro deal one year.
Have you tried the brand Stio from Jackson Hole? I received their catalog today and have never shopped there. But they do have a nice insulated jacket you might like.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you tried the brand Stio from Jackson Hole? I received their catalog today and have never shopped there. But they do have a nice insulated jacket you might like.

I think that came up earlier, and there was some gap, but I'll take a look.

The TNF jacket arrived. It's very nicely designed with LOTS OF BIG POCKETS, but the blue is kinda boring and it seems like it *might* be a little tight. (I only had time to try it with a base layer so far, not a realistic amount of clothing). The insulation is relatively light, so I definitely would be wearing more.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Also Flylow was recommended. I actually ordered a Flylow shell but returned as thought it was too big and baggy on me.. Another indie type brand is Trew.. Boyfriend has a nice one with large pockets and good pit zips

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@santacruz skier - Stio 's only insulated jacket uses down, which is a no-go. Flylow doesn't even bother carrying XL. Trew only has a shell for women, nothing insulated.

So, to reiterate - I am looking for a women's XL insulated jacket, and it has to be synthetic - no down whatsoever. It also needs to be a bright, Skittle-y color.

I have ordered a TNF and a Patagonia that appear to hit all marks, so that I can try them on and compare them.

Part of me thinks "You just need to lose some fat." The other part laughs at the word "just" and points out how well I've done with that in the past.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Sorry I was looking at the Stio Environ jacket and thought it was insulated.. not down- I knew you didn't want down. BTW think the Patagonia might be good. Mine is insulated (not down) and bright teal w lime green hood and zippers. Also good size pit zips and removable hood. Good luck...
Actually I'm wearing in my avatar

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry I was looking at the Stio Environ jacket and thought it was insulated.. not down- I knew you didn't want down. BTW think the Patagonia might be good. Mine is insulated (not down) and bright teal w lime green hood and zippers. Also good size pit zips and removable hood. Good luck...
Actually I'm wearing in my avatar

No worries. FWIW actually, the Stio was only available in XL in one color - not the one I would want. The others, no XL! I swear.

I have high hopes for the Patagonia! I liked it in the store, and could zip it up, but it was definitely too tight (snug around hips even over jeans). The features on both it and TNF are pretty great, so *fingers crossed*.

I currently have something like $1900 of ski gear either at my house (in consideration) or en route. I really, really need to make sure that I take care of all the returns in time!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna