• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hunting for a high end insulated ski jacket - roomy XL

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have terrible time due to some of same body features..

Sorry DH is anti down.. My warmest coat is a down Marmot that is HOT- but needed here on -40 wind chill eastern ski days.... not sure why DH doesn't want down? I don't care if I look like the good year blimp I want to be warm.. in all the years skiing down has been my warmest coat. (no pit vents) I did try synthetic but froze and went back to the Marmot I bought on sale during Diva East- thanks ladies for the enabling. lol..

This past winter I wore my Patagonia wind/rain proof shell and layers underneath alot. It has the pit zips which I love
especially skiing out west where I may hike and the sun seems stronger.

My Instructor jacket is a men's Medium you may want to try on some men's coats?

Roxy Coats seem to be made for us w/boobs too, I've tried on several that fit but weren't on sale and I can't justify 400+ for any clothing. Skis YES clothes nope..

Hm, I'll take a look at Roxy. Hadn't considered that!

Usually men's ends up being too tight in the hip, with oversized shoulders that make the sleeves hang to my knees. Maybe there are exceptions ...

DH is allergic enough to down that if we sleep in a hotel room where there are down pillows in the closet - not even the bed - he will wake up congested. I can understand that he doesn't want that.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ahh that's too bad he's allergic! Nope no down for you!
My men's medium fits my butt too. Darn can't remember the name.. I'll look when I get home.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
my mt has leaking chairs leaky oil.. no white for me.. lol. does look nice. Snowboard jackets do seem to be roomier and have tons of pockets and are long. I hate having the small of my back exposed on lifts. I like the ones that extend over my butt as much as possible. I have a down coat that is like a coaches coat. long. nick named Mrs. Breeze-ly for the really really cold days I pull it out. but its down :-(

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just talked to a rep at backcountry.com who seems to think that with the boxier cut of TNF and Patagonia, those two jackets might well fit. And I really like them on paper.

newboots

Angel Diva

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That looks so gorgeous!

I shouldn't do white, either. Even if the oil drips miss me . . . there's always ketchup, or some other hazard.

Also (as you can tell from my current profile pic), I am a big fan of bright colors that stand out even in whiteouts or flat light.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, as there was only one in stock at backcountry.com in XL/teal, I went ahead and ordered the The North Face jacket. I would have ordered the Patagonia jacket as well to have them both at the same time, but they didn't have my color in my size. So my plan is still to try on the Patagonia jacket in the store Thursday before deciding to order that in teal.

I will also have two insulated bib pants arriving Friday, to join the two pairs I already ordered and am still deciding about. (Based on the sizing guide, I bought them in 1XL, but I'm almost certain the XL will be better.)

Phew. I am choosing not to do the math on how much I've spent ordering things to try on (and how much I'll be out if I fail to return in time).

Sparky

Angel Diva
I personally find that Patagonia tends to run slightly large. I have a Powder Bowl shell and love all the features of it - it has everything, from pockets in all the right places, to pit zips, etc... I also have the shell pants which are a little roomy and long but I love them anyway. They make their Powder Bowls in shell and insulated so hopefully you'll find one that'll fit and in a color you like. I love them, just wish they were slightly smaller, so hopefully they'll work for you!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I personally find that Patagonia tends to run slightly large. I have a Powder Bowl shell and love all the features of it - it has everything, from pockets in all the right places, to pit zips, etc... I also have the shell pants which are a little roomy and long but I love them anyway. They make their Powder Bowls in shell and insulated so hopefully you'll find one that'll fit and in a color you like. I love them, just wish they were slightly smaller, so hopefully they'll work for you!

A friend was just telling me they've slimmed the fit a bit. Fingers crossed.

Earlier this summer I ordered eight or nine pairs of navy blue pants, to keep just one that actually fit. Returning is one of those things that feels like such a chore.

Yeah. And the boxes for the insulated bibs are massive!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like the Burton red one, too. It's rated light on warmth though.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Red isn't going to work for me ... not with everything else I have.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Not sure if you've tried them yet, but I absolutely LOVE my Flylow jacket. I have the Billie Coat which checks off everything on your list with the exception of insulation. However, they have the Daphne Jacket, that I considered as well, and would have gotten if I decided on an insulated coat.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure if you've tried them yet, but I absolutely LOVE my Flylow jacket. I have the Billie Coat which checks off everything on your list with the exception of insulation. However, they have the Daphne Jacket, that I considered as well, and would have gotten if I decided on an insulated coat.

What size? Last time I tried, Flylow sizes weren't big enough for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna