• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How cold is too cold to ski?

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't fit toe warmers in my boots. I have boot gloves, and used those with hand warmers in between them and the shell. I may not have even gotten one run in without those!

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As anyone here who skis with me know, I have circulation problems with both my hands & feet (I sure picked the wrong sport). I wear my Black Diamond Mitts almost except ont he warmest of spring days. Temps in the single digits to teens, there are one hand warmer in each mitt...lower than that and there are at least two. Same said for my boot heaters (HotTronics). They are on at least a temp setting of 1 (on the warmest days) 2 on the moderate days & 3 on the cold days. No way of fitting toe warmers in my boots, but for single to negative digit days w/ wind, I also have the boot gloves. My core & legs stay relatively comfortable..

So to answer the original question: I skied at Beaver Creek on Monday in -10 to -3 temps (depending where on the mountain we were). Big blue skies and no wind. Snow was great (compared to last year at this time) and no one on the hill. My hands & feet did fine skiing, but what did me in was being on the chair lifts. After every two runs, I had to go in and warm up for ~ 15 minutes. Even with that, we still did 8 runs that day (didn't start til 10ish). Could I have stayed out for 3-4 runs at a time? Sure....but frostbite is nasty & I prefer to keep all my toes & fingers, thank you! :thumbsup:

It's not usually the cold temps that get me..but the wind and lack of sun. Esp wind. Wind will get me off the mountain...pretty quick.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not that I'm skiing today, since it's a work day, but today would officially qualify for me as "too cold" to ski. It's -25 with a windchill of -37 up at Tremblant today according to the radio this morning. (That's -13F with a windchill of -35F for you Americnas.) Nope, not for me.

The good news is it's supposed to warm up significantly -- and snow -- tomorrow and Sunday. Fingers crossed.

Jilly

Staff member
Hey Segacs - DH is out there I think. Or at least he's up there! Have to call and see what he thinks!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
How cold is too cold? For me (and I admit to a certain wimpiness when it comes to cold)!today is. Minus 30 C (not counting any windchill) at Tremblant this morning. I stayed home.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FIRST TIME EVER??? Wow, I LOVE toe warmers. I actually like them better in my mittens than hand warmers.

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
today. today is too cold to ski. was 7F with a gusty wind chill. wanted to try out new boots and stayed an hour.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Apparently one answer is -30F to -45F with wind chill! That's how cold it's supposed to be at Wildcat tomorrow and they are closing up shop for the next 2 days saying it's going to be too unsafe for patrons and employees to be out in those temps. Brrrrrr..

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah no kidding. You get frostbite in minutes in those kinds of temps.

It was -31C with the windchill here this morning. I nearly froze my face off waiting for the bus that (of course) never showed up, and then walking to the metro. Public transit stops working efficiently whenever the weather's bad, which is frustrating as anything. But I tell you, despite the sunshine, I wouldn't have wanted to be out on the ski hill today. WAYYYYY too damn cold.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
But I tell you, despite the sunshine, I wouldn't have wanted to be out on the ski hill today. WAYYYYY too damn cold.

Yeah, well, I WAS out skiing. Second day of the bump course – thank goodness it was bumps as they're warming. Unlike yesterday, there was no sun (except for a brief moment) at Tremblant today; in fact there was fog and light snow, making it even colder as damper. Yesterday's temps were about the same (minus 18 C or so, with some, but not extreme, wind) but yesterday there was full sun which made a huge difference. I had to stop at 2 this afternoon as my fingers were freezing! But I'm amazed I enjoyed the whole thing as much as I did. What surprised me when I arrived at Tremblant (north side) this morning was how many people were arriving. As for me, I wouldn't have been there if I hadn't already paid my money for the course, but lots of people were there just to ski. (Not young people either – what a hardy bunch!)

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Friday night it was 40 and melted down to what we Midwesterners call "hard pack" but you lucky people who get nice, real snow would call "ice." The only thing on the hill to grip was any edges left by others turning hard. AWFUL conditions that had my whole body aching after just a few runs from all the jarring, bouncing, and extra hard work to stop. Saturday was more of same, and this close to my vacation, I wasn't about to risk injury, so we had breakfast while entertaining ourselves by watching the bunny hill, and went home. Sunday, it dropped down to about 0 and windy and they didn't blow any snow, so worse than hard pack on a warm day is ungroomed ice (I doubt there was enough base left to run the groomers) in single digits and 25 mph winds. Stayed home. Yesterday, it was more of the same. Had they blown snow (maybe it was too cold or windy?), I would have gone yesterday, in spite of the cold/wind. WCF down to double digits below 0 yesterday and today.

naskis

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well... It was cold today (warmest about 15F)! We got in 5 runs, went inside to warm up, got 6 more and called it a day. But we had fun!

Jilly

Staff member
SkiBam - I hear they didn't run Duncan because of the cold. Tomorrow is to be worst! Kinda of glad I'm working!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Besides Wildcat, have you ever heard of a resort closing for cold temps before?

SkiBam

Angel Diva
SkiBam - I hear they didn't run Duncan because of the cold. Tomorrow is to be worst! Kinda of glad I'm working!

Yeah, I was glad I didn't have to sit on it. Even though it takes longer, it just seems warmer on the Expo and Lowell Thomas. Soleil was closed too. It was truly BITTER!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Besides Wildcat, have you ever heard of a resort closing for cold temps before?
Want a list or just a brief example? :wink: One of the days at Sugarloaf for "Diva East-2011" - no-go. Air temp & wind chill put it at around -45F, which is about their limit. Which seems to almost regularly happen at around this time of year. And will possibly happen tomorrow. Entire region has been under a wind chill warning (not advisory) since daybreak today. Tomorrow and tomorrow night will be the coldest times.

Vista freak

Angel Diva
Apparently one answer is -30F to -45F with wind chill! That's how cold it's supposed to be at Wildcat tomorrow and they are closing up shop for the next 2 days saying it's going to be too unsafe for patrons and employees to be out in those temps. Brrrrrr..

Yeah, I'd have to agree that's too cold-- even if I bought a lift ticket.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
MSL - isn't this White White Week??
Ha! Sure is. And it apparently is called that for a "reason!"

Just checked my perpetual calendar, and this is but one day off of that legendary cold day @ Sugarloaf in 2011 when we were SOL for lifts, etc. Just too brutal. Same exact forecast today!

And it seems to happen almost "on schedule"/like clockwork, every year right around this time.

Wind Chill Warning Now In Effect Until 7 PM Est This Evening The Wind Chill Warning Is Now In Effect Until 7 PM Est This Evening. - Locations Northern New Hampshire And The Mountains Of Western Maine. - Hazard Types Dangerously Cold Wind Chills. - Wind Chill Readings As Low As 43 Below. - Timing Through Today. - Impacts Dangerous Wind Chills Will Make It Hazardous To Go Outside Without Proper Protection. - Winds Northwest 10 To 20 Mph With Gusts Up To 30 Mph. - Temperatures 3 Below To 17 Below Zero. PRECAUTIONARY ACTIONS A Wind Chill Warning Means The Combination Of Very Cold Air And Gusty Winds Will Create Dangerously Low Wind Chill Values. This Will Result In Frost Bite Or Lead To Hypothermia Or Death If Precautions Are Not Taken. If You Must Go Outside Dress In Layers And Keep All Your Skin And Your Head Covered. Protect Livestock From The Cold And Bring Your Pets Inside.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga