• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How cold is too cold to ski?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I know we discussed this a looooong time ago, but I thought I'd start a new thread since it's been a while. Because it's minus 10 this morning, and I've decided to wait til the temp is in the positive digits before I go out to ski.

Yes, I've skied when it's below zero. And yes, I remember a couple years ago when, during Diva East at Sugarloaf, it was minus twenty something and they closed the lifts.

Just wondering -- how cold does it have to be for YOU to either give up or delay a ski day?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^ Ha - ah, memories. Actually, though, it wasn't the ambient temperature so much as the wind that did the shutting of lifts. There is simply a safety cut-off number for safe lift operations. And when they hit that number, there's no choice. (OMG, that day was legendary-brutal!)

In lighter winds, I have totally gone out (and stayed out, with prudent breaks) in -10 there first thing (warming, eventually, to a balmy zero). I have skied in colder temps elsewhere, around -15. One run and in. -10 is my personal cutoff temp, I think? Again, it really is wind-dependent.

The wind chill on 1/1 increased from -15 to -27 over the course of the day, with dropping temperatures. I made it for 5 hours with one indoor break. It was....cold....

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
-10 for me, depending on the wind as well. Skied at 4 degrees (at the top) last week at Waterville but with the wind it was -29 (so they said). It was bone- chilling cold!

Ellen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've skied in Quebec when the high for the day was -17F and the winds were so bad they closed the highway between Montreal and NY state at La Prarie because of wind blown snow. Fortunately I never knew the actual wind speed or wind chill but it was COLD. Ever inch of my body covered, a warming break about every 2 hours, and I lasted all day. And I had a great time.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
So did I, on 1/1. It was relatively empty (considering it was first day off holiday blackout for this level of passholder), skied on lifts all day, had wind-blown drifts up to our knees all day on skier’s left of EVERY run, just could NOT STOP, until the “gas ran out.” Best day yet this season!

(appear to have minor "frost nip" on my chin, though - need better face mask!!)

MissySki

Angel Diva
I only really get to ski weekends and holidays, so if I'm planning on skiing a specific day, I'm going to ski no matter how cold it is. Since I only get to ski these times, it's actually been really nice when it's super cold because it keeps the crowds inside! :smile: This happened last year on MLK weekend actually, we went with some friends who didn't dress right despite my warnings the day before we went, and they along with most of the holiday crowd remained in the lodge and DH and I relished in it outside haha

Jilly

Staff member
Like MSL I was out New Years Day. I have frost nip/burn where the face mask got iced up. Have it every time as its actually an old frost bite area. It'll peel off by tomorrow!!

-26C right now at Tremblant. Not there today, in my nice toasty office, but.....I would probably go out for while. But being a season pass holder you don't mind going out for a few turns. Tomorrow is another day!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Like MSL I was out New Years Day. I have frost nip/burn where the face mask got iced up. Have it every time as its actually an old frost bite area. It'll peel off by tomorrow!!
Ha. Mine just crusted up as of this morning, should peel by Sunday. Need to get busy with finding something a little more effective? (I hate having all breathing orifices covered fully when I'm actually skiing > probably the issue. Fine when on lifts, though.)

cleopatra

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Depends directly on the quality of snow. Last year we had a 100cm day with -25c + wind. Everyone was coming home with frostbite that day. I had to work but got out a couple days later when it was -18c +wind. Did one long loop and had to warm up, called it quits after 3 runs. I am not cut out for the cold like that (despite being a Canadian prairie girl). If there is no new snow, I skip it completely after about -15C. It's just too easy when you have access to the mountain everyday.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I, too, might've braved it today if I didn't have to work (and if I weren't still sick, damn cold that won't go away). It's about -25C plus windchill. Layers, layers, layers on a day like today... no exposed skin, toe and glove warmers for the extremities, and lots of coffee breaks.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We ventured out one day when the high temperature of the day was -9F, with a wind chill of -37F. The snow was the consistency of a styrofoam cup. It was awful.

abc

Banned
When they stop the lifts :-)
No need to stop skiing. Just bring out the xc skis!

Just wondering -- how cold does it have to be for YOU to either give up or delay a ski day?
I switch to xc skiing when it's below 20F. I like xc skiing more than downhill so if condition is good for both, I go for xc!

Since I don't sit on my tail bone up in mid-air for 10 minutes for every 5 minutes of skiing, I can easily tolerate much lower temperature when xc skiing. Also, good xc trail systems are in the woods so wind is much less of an issue. Dealing with pure temperature without windchill factors, I can comfortable ski into the teens, and "less confidently" into the negative territory. I say less "confidently" because unlike downhill skiing, I can't quickly cruise back into the lodge when I feel cold or tired. So I don't venture too far away when it's dangerously cold.

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No need to stop skiing. Just bring out the xc skis!

Ugh. I hate xc. Or at least I don't like it much. I ski about 10 km (=once) every other winter. Last winter should have been my "10 km winter" but my knees hated it and after only 0.5 km it took weeks before my knees recovered. I might try again this winter now that my medication seems to be ok.

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If the lifts close. Otherwise I don't mind bundling up, a smear of vaseline under buff/mask/goggles to guard against frost nip if they move and expose my skin, flask of hot chocolate laced with a little sambuca or brandy for a quick nip between runs and myself and OH are happy little bunnies on almost empty slopes. Happy days.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna