• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How cold is too cold to ski?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went and since I was there, along with a few die hards who said once you got to the lift the snow was lovely. it was But it was -14F, warmed up to -9 LOL . Yes, I looked like my photo. the snow was LOVELY. I skied for a little over and hour then quit.

There is no wax for snow this cold! But the snow sure was nice and it definitely means No crowds.

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm from the land of celsius so had to convert. There's some skiing going on in seriously cold weather here!!!The coldest I've skied was -35 C(-31F) on a glacier in France about 10 years ago.Never ever again.I'm sure I remember the snow being sticky-we lasted a couple of runs and then went down into the valley where it was warmer(relatively)!

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use really cold wax and don't have issues. Cold comes with the territory here for at least a few weeks every year. Unfortunately not timed right this year, it came really early. But that's an El Niño winter here.

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only lift open at Gore was the one to the bunny slope. We were snowed in yesterday and wanted to check out the snow for at least one run after yesterday’s big dump. Two base layers, plus a fleece, hand and toe warmers, a balaclava and a neck gaiter... and we were totally fine. We did only two runs but would have kept going if the Gondola was open. It just wasn’t worth it with only the bunny slopes available. So I guess we’ve figured out our limit.

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I remember one time as a kid on the glacier in Sölden the temp was -27 degrees Celsius, so around -14F. Don't think I was cold while skiing (those were the days of super puffy ski suits :becky:), but I pulled off one of my gloves to take a picture. Could instantly feel my fingers stiffening up and the LCD screen of our little camera was blurry because of the cold. I do like my temps a bit warmer though, after being a summer person for the last 10 years... I've seen some numbers in this thread that I'd definitely consider too cold to ski :brr:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m hanging out with coffee for a while! The trees are whipping behind my place which is down in town. I looked at the WebCams. The chairs are not even on the wire for the six pack right now. The wind is whipping snow around at the summit and the Jackson Gore base. I’m here for most of the winter so I can wait! It might moderate a little later and it should rise from the current -6° to the teens, not including the windchill. And of course there was rain predicted for tomorrow or Thursday! :hurt:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Does anyone not remember Diva East 2011 at Sugarloaf?
:brr:
Actually, those kinds of temps are semi-typical here for that time of year. Like now. Only 2 lifts were on wind hold yesterday. (I'm surprised.)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
For at least 2 of the days, I don't believe we got above 0F.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I certainly remember the posts about it and was happy not to be out there! Since then, I skied in -14F, which was surprisingly comfortable, but I had many, many layers and accessories to keep me warm. And I was on vacation, so you suck it up and do things that I wouldn't choose to do at home . . .

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's what I love about a season pass. I'm paid at this point, so I'm not trying to make it pay. 3 runs and done may be all it can be.

That's where I was this morning. Yesterday the lifts were all shut down - too windy, and too cold - and this morning they had one lift running for the first hour. I was on it, only to discover that the wind had scoured all of the rises down to ice and blown the snow downhill. So it's a few gnarly high-edge turns on ice, and QUICK! drop the edge angles and lengthen those turns out as soon as you hit the drifts. Not a day for cruising. My balaclava was freezing solid on every trip up the hill, and my eyes were watering behind my googles. And after three runs I thought "Why..." and I bailed out. If the snow had been better I would have stuck out the super cold temps. If it hadn't been so cold, I would have stuck out the moderately crummy variable conditions. The two together...this was day 19 for me, and while I don't think that's nearly enough skiing to have under my feet by late Jan, it's more than enough to have amortized the pass.

kiki

Angel Diva
Last year it was -18 C and that was pretty much my limit. Bought another midlayer and face mask that day.
But I drive 3 hrs to get to the ski hill and don't know for sure how it will be till i get there, so i usually ski no matter what, just change where on mountain i hang out-- some areas are different for wind or rain or mist etc

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna