• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Has anyone had a problem with the Squire bindings locking in?

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will tell you that the Griffon is hard to get in and out of because of the direction that the heel piece angles down at where as the squire issue has to do with the depth of the heel cup. They redesigned the heel piece for this year, they knew it was an issue. .

I guess that explains why my Squires don't seem to have an issue. They're this year's stock.

mustski

Angel Diva
Mine are this year's stock also and they still have the problem. I originally posted them after trying them for the first time.

mustski

Angel Diva
Yay! Good news! My new boots arrived and fit right out of the box. My Squires locked no problem with the new boots. The problem must have been caused by the worn heel plates!:ski3:

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
mustski, That is good to here! I took my skis to have the bindings put on them today and am hoping I have no issues with the squires. Since the boots are also new and fit great, I feel pretty lucky. I know how my old boots fit, when they were in good shape and the new boots feel very snug, no heel slipping and after I put the custom footbeds in them from my other boots, they felt near perfect. Tomorrow I will see how the bindings work. Fingers and toes crossed in hopes all is well.

mustski

Angel Diva
good luck! A good day is when everything works well, a great day is when we have fun testing them out ... a perfect day? Add fresh powder and good company!

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I had no fresh powder, but southern Indiana did get a half inch of snow on top off the quickly disappearing man-made snow, that a least made it look a bit better for awhile. I have to be happy to have something to ski on so near to home. Being almost the last day of our season here, and a weekday, there were few people there. As for the new skis, I am very excited about them and had no trouble with the Marker Squires. Whew! I was concerned, but they seem much like other Markers I've had in the past, only more lightweight. I didn't ski very long and as I said, the snow conditions are not so good, but it gave me a good idea of what to expect on good snow. I am going to love the Nemesis and look forward to really playing with them. :ski2:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: I bought Squires at 50% off from evo.com at the end of last season and had them mounted to my Celebrities. I was happy because the Squires are nice and light, and they seemed to work fine for me on the Gypsies. They are definitely hard to get into - even after all snow is cleared, I stomp in and they often only engage half way, so that the boot is attached but I can see the brake wiggle when I push my heel down. Depending on the situation, I can either stomp it in fully or might have to release and start again. And sometimes, it works just fine. Argh! The shop that mounted my bindings says they are correctly mounted and that the heel plate on my boot should be replaced. I took my boots back to the fitters and they were willing to sell me replacements, but said they were only about half worn which in theory shouldn't be a problem, but Squires are known for exactly this type of misbehavior. He said that the new ones are supposed to be better, but it's an ongoing problem.

Questions for those working in ski shops:
1) If I click in partly, then stomp down and click in all the way - can I trust that? Is it safe? I never ski until I've verified that pushing my heel doesn't cause the brakes to wiggle.
2) Even though my heels are only half worn, will replacing them help? I already have the parts, and they weren't very expensive. The boot guy said the sole and toe are just fine - just the heel is worn. Okay, I'm sort of talking myself into going ahead and replacing them - is there any downside to this, besides spending $17 a bit early?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally got to test my Squires out in fresh snow at Mammoth this week and had no issues at all with them. Even clicking in with a little snow on them or on my boot soles. They are 2012 demo version. I wonder if the demo ones are better??

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@bouncewoosh - $17 is pretty easy to take. I’d say do it. I’d also say to look to get rid of those bindings. Period. Is it worth it to buy something else that will not do this? It would for me. There are a lot of other bindings on the market, and I have not in many years heard of one being as balky as this model is.

Frankly, if I had these kinds of issues getting into my bindings, they would be Gone.
Why take a chance? What happens if you release in deep snow and have to try to get back in with that kind of pressure/stomping requirement? Fuggedaboudit.

Start with the inexpensive and hopeful total fix; if that doesn’t do it, ditch the doggone Markers.

mustski

Angel Diva
I replaced the heel pieces on my boots and it partially solved the problem. On the groomers, I lock in fine. It's a bit of hard push but I don't have to do the double stomp. In powder, it's a total PITA... scraping my boots totally clean while everybody else locks in a skis off. AAARGH. I have the demo model. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to switch out to Solomon Sth 12 driver. Can a different set of bindings be easily mounted on demo rails? Does anyone know how demo bindings work? I'm afraid to have the skis redrilled.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have two pairs of skis with Squires - both bindings practically brand new. I *could* afford to replace them, but ugh. I shall simply refuse to fall in the powder so that I don't have to worry about clicking into them in those conditions! ... I'll swap out those heel pieces tomorrow.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I had a set of Marker bindings. Once. Never again. (It was awhile ago, long before this troublesome series - I see *some* things don't change. :rolleyes:) I dealt with it all for a couple of seasons then sold the entire package, skis and all. Good riddance. I am a flyweight, and my Atomic and Look bindings require minimal clean-off and barely a push to lock in. (And I do not release unless absolutely necessary, have never had a pre-release.) Re-drilling is not a major problem if done properly. Move on. Spare yourself this BS.

Ellen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I almost got the Squires last winter for new Kastle FX 94s. Reading this thread, I am glad I didn't. I ended up trying something new for me and got Knee Bindings. I have been very happy with them.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a set of Marker bindings. Once. Never again. (It was awhile ago, long before this troublesome series - I see *some* things don't change. :rolleyes:) I dealt with it all for a couple of seasons then sold the entire package, skis and all. Good riddance. I am a flyweight, and my Atomic and Look bindings require minimal clean-off and barely a push to lock in. (And I do not release unless absolutely necessary, have never had a pre-release.) Re-drilling is not a major problem if done properly. Move on. Spare yourself this BS.

I am more like heavyweight, and Markers have historically been pretty good to me. I will report back on the results of replacing the heel piece.

Monki

Certified Ski Diva
I just got the blue and green Squires--2012 clearance sale...
Mixed review here, maybe I'll get lucky with my pair :-) If it does become a problem, can the skis be remounted with different bindings without any problems?

mustski

Angel Diva
I just got the blue and green Squires--2012 clearance sale...
Mixed review here, maybe I'll get lucky with my pair :-) If it does become a problem, can the skis be remounted with different bindings without any problems?
You can always switch out the bindings. It will mean a redrill but any reputable shop can do that well and it won't affect the skis performance. It may affect it's resale value if you plan to sell the skis and upgrade in a couple of years. My Squires worked well for awhile after I put new heel pieces on it, but now they are back to the same problem. Apparently they can't handle even "a tiny bit" of wear. One binding is worse than the other. Once I get new boots (this year's agenda), I will probably switch out the bindings.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Reporting back: replacing the heel piece seemed to make a huge difference for me. The heel was about half worn down, several millimeters. But it will be interesting to see if it still seems just as good in soft snow.

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got the Squires too... no problems so far, but my boots are pretty new and have no wear on the heels.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga