• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One strand? That's hysterical. You and my sister could garden together. When her kids were little she planted a garden but got discouraged when her sweet corn got no bigger than baby corn (like in Chinese food).

I'm not even exaggerating. Granted, they were supposed to be a smaller variety - but that was supposed to mean squat, not nearly invisible!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also planted carrots for the first time this year. Like @altagirl said compared to other things I planted not nearly as many seeds germinated as I planted but I do have some growing. Hopefully they get bigger than yours @bounceswoosh ! few days ago I pulled up what I thought was a radish. From what I could see of the top of it it was way bigger than radishes should get but it turned out to be a turnip. It definitely could have grown for a while longer but I have plenty more that I'll leave in to get big. I am going to have WAY too many turnips.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally got around to planting the new beds around my shed. I decided to do a 'perennial bed' with hardy perennials that might be pollinator friendly. I went to the local nursery and was overwhelmed at the choices even though I had a rough idea in my head what I wanted. I am going for a lush perennial border in a variety of hues, but I realized that I'm just really bad at visualizing garden stuff so it will probably look a mess. I hope it looks ok, but I don't have pictures now because it started pouring right after I planted.

Some of the plants I chose: Rudbeckia, Coreopsis, Salvia, Penstemon, Nepeta, Torch Lily and Creeping Phlox. Here's to hoping that the family of rabbits that lives under the shed doesn't destroy them all! I planted the phlox despite rabbit issues in the past, they seem to love it, but its so pretty and if it survives I would be really happy. Anyway, I bought really small plants so I didn't spend too much money and since they'll grow and fill in anyway, so it won't be a huge loss if some of the plants don't work out.

newboots

Angel Diva
I
Some of the plants I chose: Rudbeckia, Coreopsis, Salvia, Penstemon, Nepeta, Torch Lily and Creeping Phlox.

Those will be gorgeous! I'd drop some nasturtium and marigold seeds in there now to fill in before the perennials get big enough. Not that anybody asked my opinion . . . I had to leave my huge, bountiful, kind of crazy perennial garden, and only have small borders here, most of them planted with rows of identical hostas (aaak!).

Anyone want some plain Jane hostas? I have about 20 I'd gladly dig up!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Marigold is good to ward off pests, right?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, but I checked. It doesn't stop the rabbits, according to The Internet.

Fox pee is probably the answer for rabbits.

Although we have a ton of rabbits in our yard (dogs are only out there in brief spurts), and they haven't yet climbed up the 2' walls of our garden boxes.

newboots

Angel Diva
actually... l have been looking on CL for hostas

We should talk! If I ever head out that way . . . I pulled out 6 or 8 last year, gave some to a neighbor, put the others by the side of the road. I still have plenty! The other overflow here is day lilies. The previous owner transplanted her overgrown plants here, and now they are taking over. I mean, I love hostas, especially the interesting ones, but rows identical plain green? Down one long side, all around the tiny patio yard, along the driveway. Oops. </'nuff bitchin'>

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our yard was pretty much a blank slate when we bought our house two years ago. Well, except for a few overgrown yews that had taken over most of the yard. Those are gone now. Last summer I was focusing on the hardscape- terracing the side yard with dry stack rock walls to make it more usable, in the process creating winding pathways and planting beds. I guess I am still working on that- there are more walls to be built, flag stone to be laid around the fire pit, etc. But this is the year of the planting. As I figured out just what was sun and what was shade last year things started to take shape and some planting started- some scavenged hostas and daylilies and a few purchased perennials. Now I need more green and colour to break up the expanse of rocks and dirt. Hostas are one of DHs favourites. And I need to teach my silly mutt not to plow through everything blindly. I tried putting up low fences to discourage him, but he just leaps over them with a smile on his face like I was just too kind to make such a fun obstacle course for him. Sigh.

I might try some gabion baskets for some of my walls this year. It will give me a way to use the smaller rocks that are left floating around and less scavenging for larger rocks. But I will still looking on CL for free perennials and rocks all summer I think.

newboots

Angel Diva
But I will still looking on CL for free perennials and rocks all summer I think.

Ex-husband's family has a house in Marshfield; maybe I could get them to carry a bunch of hostas along one weekend. Your dog probably couldn't hurt these; they're bulletproof, like those daylilies. If you like plants that spread rampantly, you might scare up some lilies of the valley for deep shade. They do look a little ratty as summer wears on, but they're a delight in the spring.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those will be gorgeous! I'd drop some nasturtium and marigold seeds in there now to fill in before the perennials get big enough. Not that anybody asked my opinion . . . I had to leave my huge, bountiful, kind of crazy perennial garden, and only have small borders here, most of them planted with rows of identical hostas (aaak!).

Thats a good idea! I have a bag of nasturtium seeds. Of course, I haven't had luck getting them to flower because some unknown foe was eating the leaves. I assumed slugs or rabbits, but couldn't identify or prevent it. But who knows, maybe they will survive in this bed. It wouldn't be the first time, I have a phlox plant that is giant in one section of the yard that nothing eats and yet the two I put in the front yard are constantly being eaten by rabbits.

Fox pee is probably the answer for rabbits.

Although we have a ton of rabbits in our yard (dogs are only out there in brief spurts), and they haven't yet climbed up the 2' walls of our garden boxes.

I just found out that the rabbit(s?) that live under the shed had baby rabbits. I really, really, hate rabbits. A few years ago one tried to dig a burrow in my raised bed! And I'm pretty sure that a tree we put in a few years ago died last year from the rabbits eating the bark around the base. I feel bad for kind of hoping that the neighborhood rabbit-eater cat gets the babies. You know, for population control purposes. Actually, we have a ton of coyotes around us and I have seen them in the open space behind our house but I'm not sure they would go over my fence. They certainly don't seem to be making a dent in the rabbit population on our street!

But I will still looking on CL for free perennials and rocks all summer I think.

Does your town or region have a gardening club that might be on facebook? Or even just a group for gardening? Because we have one and people are always offering up free perennials when its time to divide. I have gotten irises, strawberries, joe pye weed and catmint that way!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG baby rabbits. They infest our front yard. I don't know where they come from, but they like to blink at us. You can walk right up to them, and they don't exhibit any fear. Or maybe they are terrified into stillness; who knows. I've told them repeatedly that if they don't develop a healthy fear reflex, they're not going to make it - but they don't listen.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My toddler can get within 2 feet of the rabbits in our neighborhood. Literally no fear, because they have no predators probably.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga