• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

newboots

Angel Diva
I want to post about my fettuccine carbonara recipe with fresh local asparagus and local shiitake mushrooms, but this is gardening, not a locavore thread.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You know, I don't think we've ever had a "favorite recipe" thread ...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, what exactly does "bolting" mean for chard? Mine popped up again this spring. Historically I've only seen huge leaves growing from the base. Now there are stalks with multiple leaves for each stalk, but no flowers yet. Is that bolted? Still tasty?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bolting = flowering.

Since your chard is not flowering, it should be quite edible! Once it shoots up a budding flower, it will become tough and bitter.

If it starts flowering, can I cheat death by just cutting off the flowery parts?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On closer inspection this morning - it's just about to flower. Not sure these photos show it clearly. I then chopped off the offending flowering part. Maybe it will buy me an extra side dish. Ripping them out will give me more room to plant summer crops.

Anyway, I pulled up a garlic bulb "before it's ready" and sauteed the garlic slices with a pile of chard leaves, all in bacon fat. Delicious. The house does still smell quite strongly of raw garlic .... no vampires here!

20170523_081947-1612x1209.jpg 20170523_081952-1612x1209.jpg

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Carrots are my nemesis. They seem to take forever to germinate and then forever to get to harvest. I love their frilly little tops, though, so every year I try.

Christy

Angel Diva
I never used to have an issue with them but last year and this they indeed take forever to germinate, and most don't germinate. Perhaps they don't enjoy my crammed bed as much as I do.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never used to have an issue with them but last year and this they indeed take forever to germinate, and most don't germinate. Perhaps they don't enjoy my crammed bed as much as I do.

I enjoy it! It's beautiful and cheery.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Hmm, well maybe since they are root veggies they don't have enough room for their roots to grow with all the other stuff? I love the look of that planter though, very lush!!

newboots

Angel Diva
Hmm, well maybe since they are root veggies they don't have enough room for their roots to grow with all the other stuff? I love the look of that planter though, very lush!!

I thought that might be it, too, but wouldn't they germinate but refuse to grow big, if it was only about space?

I always had a bad time getting carrots to germinate.

altagirl

Staff member
I don't know what the deal is with carrots either. I always get a handful of (delicious) carrots, but for the number of seeds that I plant, they don't seem to germinate well. I don't know if it's the amount of light or what.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried carrots for the first time last fall. Tons sprouted, but the biggest were maybe the size of a medium diameter yarn.

They did come back (maybe the same ones) this spring and seem to be getting a little bigger.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I tried carrots for the first time last fall. Tons sprouted, but the biggest were maybe the size of a medium diameter yarn.

They did come back (maybe the same ones) this spring and seem to be getting a little bigger.
One strand? That's hysterical. You and my sister could garden together. When her kids were little she planted a garden but got discouraged when her sweet corn got no bigger than baby corn (like in Chinese food).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga