• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can tell you that we don't have a dog and the bottom of every arbor vitae I've ever had has been brown. I'm probably going to dig the ones we have up, too.

LOL. That's ... reassuring?

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
It's been pouring here for most of the past 42 hours and I've been concerned that the baby "crops" were getting beaten to death, but I'm relieved to see now that all are looking happy. I planted quite few flower seeds Saturday before the deluge began so I'll be anxious to see how they do. I, too, have not had a lot of luck with flower seeds in the past....

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last season's chard came back and is loving the moderate temps, rain, and sprinkler system!

oau4Api.jpg

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Weirdly, I have lots of carrots growing now from the seeds I planted last fall. I haven't pulled any yet to check them out.
oddly, I was just reading an article about this....if they are planted in the fall, they grow all winter below ground and are much sweeter. Where did I read that??? I'll see if I can find it.

You girls have been busy! I'm lucky I've gotten down five yards of mushroom compost out of 20, and planted my verbena among the rocks near the pool. Oh, and edged most of the landscaping beds. I'm still trying to organically kill Canadian thistle that's in my actual food garden, and I gave up and bought concentrated glyphosate and painted it on the leaves with a paintbrush to minimize overspray. I know, I know, I'm so disappointed in myself but those darned horses just keep eating it and depositing the seeds in my mulch...

newboots

Angel Diva
The big problem with glyphosate is the massed spraying on whole fields of GMO (glyphosate-resistant) crops. Your painted thistle will not cause harm! That's the right way to use it. Sparingly, when nothing else works, painted on. Hardly ever.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Meanwhile here in Colorado, we're not supposed to plant tomatoes until after the coming weekend. Bummer - it's been raining constantly and it would be great for the growth. But I've been bitten by early planting twice - no more!

altagirl

Staff member
I planted more perennials in my flower beds that I built last year. Most of what I planted last year came back, but I replaced a few things and added where it was too sparse. It was tough finding shade loving, semi drought tolerant plants last fall!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My garden is going gangbusters with all this rain.
wZ6q4xb.jpg

My spinach is doing awesome, but I don't think I gave the mesclun greens enough space next to them, woops.

v8eHbdc.jpg

Someone's gonna be eating a heck of a lot of arugula pizza! (ME)
I'm actually gonna convert this bed into a strawberry and perennial herb bed. I have chives, thyme, oregano and sage along with 3 old strawberry plants and 10 new ones. In the corner I have arugula and radishes but once they are done I'm going to add some more strawberries. I figure if I plant enough of them, maybe I'll get 1-2 strawberries before the squirrels do!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We got a very late season snow storm that overproduced a few days ago! In some ways, it was to be expected because Colorado. But, we haven't had this much snow this late in the season in a really long time. My garden is currently looking a shambles after almost a foot of heavy dense snow fell on it. All of my frost tender veggies were still inside, so there's that at least, but I had gotten a bit cocky and planted out a few annuals that probably won't survive despite getting covered with blankets and such. And my poor peas which were doing so well are looking mighty mangled, despite getting covered by a blanket draped over the trellis to help keep the snow off.

Not to mention the trees around my yard which have lost multiple branches from the heavy snow on leafed out branches!

I'm a big fan of snow, but this late season stuff gets me all kinds of conflicted inside.

newboots

Angel Diva
I know how frustrating that must be! Would you believe it snowed in South Carolina April 19th the one year I planted early (lost all).

Oh no!
We aren't supposed to plant before Memorial Day, but nowadays most of us start May 1 or mid-April. Zone 5.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My tomatoes are out on the deck sunbathing now. I'm hoping that the rest of the snow melts off today so we can do some yard and garden clean up. I dug under the snow yesterday and harvested some mangled but still tasty arugula and had some delicious homemade Prosciutto and Arugula pizza, mmmmm.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna