• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boot fitting cost?

Jilly

Staff member
Same thing with snows. I put mine on rims, then it can be done at the same time as a oil change. Otherwise, its remove, balance and install. Over 4 years, you've paid for the rims.

I guess the thing is, are boots more expensive at these shops than here in Canada? (Minus the exchange rate) Good technicians are hard to find, so maybe the price is added to the original cost of the boots and you don't see it.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good technicians are hard to find, so maybe the price is added to the original cost of the boots and you don't see it.

Good question.

At both the Colorado fitter shops where I've bought boots, the current-model-year boots are definitely full MSRP.

At one of them, if you're tight on money, I've seen him give you suggestions on the boot you should find in the used market. I don't know how much you end up paying for fitting that way.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My last boots were only $475, excluding the custom insole which I already owned. But since I have this really boring foot, all fitting, including coming back a year later for a tweak, was included. I now have 297 days on them and they are all only on the second ratchet of the buckle, same as the year I got them. I went into the shop expecting the boot alone to be $600, and I went up a model from what was originally proposed because it looked like the materials sold wear better. They put me on some machine for cant assessment, didn't need anything.

So it's fully possible to get a boot that'll do you for years without pawning your engagement ring.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also got free fitting and lifetime adjustments which is usually called a guaranteed fit from a local shop in Boise Idaho. I didn;t have to get custom footbeds from them but I did. The boot fitter was there to help me choose the right boots so not much needed to be done to them to make them fit. It wasn't the end of the season so i paid full price but I also got to choose from a wide variety of boots and not what was left at the end of the season. I was really happy with the process and service. I actually joined this site when I was getting ready to get new boots and solicited lots of advice to know what to do. In the end I was really pleased with it all. I know I spent less than $1000 but can't remember, maybe $600. I ended up with Nordica Speed Machine 90-100 but that was about 7 years ago. Here's the thread if you are interested: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/im-getting-new-boots-and-am-scared.11845/

I bought the new incarnation of the Nordica Speed Machine this winter. I have awful feet with lovely things like bunions and a Morton's neuroma. We also updated my 15 year old footbeds. I was in and out several times tweaking things and might mess with the heel fit this year. Low $700 range and totally worth it to me. My Technicas, which were also custom fitted no longer were comfortable with the changes in my feet over the past seven or so years. I was taking one boot off mid-morning to be able to keep the neuroma from killing me. Hope you find what you need!

newboots

Angel Diva
We also updated my 15 year old footbeds.

Don't rush into these things.

Seriously, though, Abbi, I'm glad you are kind to those feet! It's expensive, but I realize I only have two and I need them both!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought the new incarnation of the Nordica Speed Machine this winter. I have awful feet with lovely things like bunions and a Morton's neuroma. We also updated my 15 year old footbeds. I was in and out several times tweaking things and might mess with the heel fit this year. Low $700 range and totally worth it to me. My Technicas, which were also custom fitted no longer were comfortable with the changes in my feet over the past seven or so years. I was taking one boot off mid-morning to be able to keep the neuroma from killing me. Hope you find what you need!

@Abbi maybe I was unclear. I did get what I needed back in 9/2011, 6 years ago!!!

I'm glad to hear you also liked the Speed Machine and hope you like then as much as I do.

@newboots you are too funny. Having custom footbeds for 15 years is pretty typical I think. They cost a lot but are meant to last a LONG time. Mine are 7 years old and still look new to me. Fingers crossed they will last 15 years as well.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Abbi maybe I was unclear. I did get what I needed back in 9/2011, 6 years ago!!!

I'm glad to hear you also liked the Speed Machine and hope you like then as much as I do.

@newboots you are too funny. Having custom footbeds for 15 years is pretty typical I think. They cost a lot but are meant to last a LONG time. Mine are 7 years old and still look new to me. Fingers crossed they will last 15 years as well.

No problem and I totally got the time frame ... or why I called my Speed Machines the 'current incarnation'. I understand they actually dropped off the boot line for some time and re-emerged in a new form.

I got 15 years out of my last custom footbeds!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga