• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boot fitting cost?

Aquata

Diva in Training
Hi everyone...I have a question about boot fitting and cost. I'm a fairly new skier, I just learned in March 2014 and this past year was my first full season. I've improved a lot in my ability, but I've been using a set of old rental equipment that I bought for $200 when I started...needless to say, the quality isn't the best but it was good enough for me to learn on without investing a ton of money. I bought new skis that I had been eyeing last season on clearance in the summer, but now it's time for me to think about boots. The boots I have are definitely holding me back-I'm typically in a lot of pain after a half day of skiing.

I've never set foot in a real ski shop, I know practically nothing about this. I'm going to go to a local boot fitter who seems to have a good reputation, but before I do that, does anyone know the approximate cost? This is something I've been saving up for. I have about $400 put aside for boots currently, but I don't want to make an appointment and then not be able to afford the boots. Will most shops be able to keep within my budget if I tell them it's around $500? Does that sound like a reasonable amount, or too low?

Also, if I also purchase the bindings in the shop with the boots, do most places usually install them for you? I would call and ask, but of course they are closed today on the day when I'm trying to figure all of this out.

Where do you live/ski?

I literally just went through this yesterday. I had 2 year old boots that I was able to salvage so my cost was lower than many. I had a boot fitting with Nick Blaylock at Mount Snow in Vermont. He appears on top bootfitter lists.

https://www.bootfitters.com/testers/nick-blaylock

Nick made me custom footbeds, tweaked a bunch of stuff on my boots and my total cost was $280.

My past 2 boots cost me around $300 give or take and that doesn't include any customizing that may need to be done. Some people are lucky enough to wear boots and just go but many people need customization and if you are like me you need lots of customization.

I am only going on my 4th season skiing so I will defer to the expert divas for the nitty gritty.

Aquata

Diva in Training
I live near Boston, so I probably ski in the same places you do. I was going to go to Ski Stop in Westwood, MA, since they seem to have a good reputation but it seems like the place you went to would be an option as well.

$300ish would be awesome, but I would still love to hear feedback from other ladies on what they have spent recently. I just want to know what I'm getting into, before I show up to a place with not enough money.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This cost totally depends on what boots you purchase. Bootfitting and custom footbeds add to the cost. Be sure to take your skis with you. especially if you want the bindings mounted and then the new boots checked with you wearing them in the bindings. Many bootfitters want to see the set-up to dial things in to their best posssible fit.

Aquata

Diva in Training
This cost totally depends on what boots you purchase. Bootfitting and custom footbeds add to the cost. Be sure to take your skis with you. especially if you want the bindings mounted and then the new boots checked with you wearing them in the bindings. Many bootfitters want to see the set-up to dial things in to their best posssible fit.
Yeah, I get that the cost depends on a lot of things. But I guess what I'm asking is, does having a budget of around $500 sound reasonable?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

Boots are expensive, that's for sure. You might get a deal by getting a pair from last season. That's what I did, last April. I think I paid just a bit over $400. I already had custom footbeds, so I didn't have to pay for those. If you get them, too, it could add to your cost.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi everyone...I have a question about boot fitting and cost. I'm a fairly new skier, I just learned in March 2014 and this past year was my first full season. I've improved a lot in my ability, but I've been using a set of old rental equipment that I bought for $200 when I started...needless to say, the quality isn't the best but it was good enough for me to learn on without investing a ton of money. I bought new skis that I had been eyeing last season on clearance in the summer, but now it's time for me to think about boots. The boots I have are definitely holding me back-I'm typically in a lot of pain after a half day of skiing.

I've never set foot in a real ski shop, I know practically nothing about this. I'm going to go to a local boot fitter who seems to have a good reputation, but before I do that, does anyone know the approximate cost? This is something I've been saving up for. I have about $400 put aside for boots currently, but I don't want to make an appointment and then not be able to afford the boots. Will most shops be able to keep within my budget if I tell them it's around $500? Does that sound like a reasonable amount, or too low?

Also, if I also purchase the bindings in the shop with the boots, do most places usually install them for you? I would call and ask, but of course they are closed today on the day when I'm trying to figure all of this out.
Welcome!

When I started skiing more regularly, my first pair of 4-buckle boots were bought during early season sales at a ski shop in the NC mountains (3 hours from my house). What I got was "new old stock," meaning they were boots from a previous season. I spent about $300 back in 2006, including after market footbeds (like Surefoot).

You should call for an appointment with the boot fitter. Have you found the info in the Gearipedia about boot buying yet? In general, the more you tell the boot fitter, the better help you can get. If your budget is $400, I'd say that to start with.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
$500 is a decent budget if dedicated to boots and footbeds. Cost of the boot is foremost. Bootfitters vary in the way they charge, and might do alot for you as a service if the boot is purchased from their shop. Footbeds range in style and cost as well. ( custom footbeds really add to the boot cost, but if you're lucky may not need too much tweaking.) It's a fun experience though!

Christy

Angel Diva
Are you asking about boot fitting, or buying boots? These are usually separate things. My own fitter does a fitting for $60, and if you need special work or custom footbeds it's more. He doesn't sell boots. There are local shops that sell boots but the way it works is their sales people will sell you the boot that is right for your foot, but you still need to make a separate appointment for a real fitting, where they will make any necessary tweaks, mold your liners (if applicable), talk about footbeds, etc.

What I did not knowing if I needed boots was made an appointment with my bootfitter who runs his shop out of the ski/boot shop at the mountain. He was my guy from beginning to end and if I'd needed new boots he would have been the one to recommend him. If I'd just gone in there without an appointment I would have just gotten anyone that was available but I wanted Nick so I made an appointment.

The guy next to me that ended up buying a pair of boots was paying $600 as my guy (who seems to run the show) told his sales person what the price was. I am not sure how advanced the boots were and he didn't seem to have any extra work done but boots can be pricey.

My boot fitter didn't charge me for the fitting itself but only for the custom footbed and labor. My total cost for this was $280 which would have been on top of any boot I purchased. Fortunately I didn't need to buy boots so I got off cheap. As others have said above sometimes the bootfitter is able to find new/old stock (brand new boot from last season) that was in back which can help with the cost.

I had planned to spend around $750 if I needed boots and foot beds/customization. However, I got lucky since I was able to take the boot out of the equation. I think $500 is more than a fair price to go in there with an expectation to pay but I'd let them know up front that's your budget. Depending on the boot you may not have enough to have a foot bed made or much custom work done but you can do that stuff as needed once you ski in the boot and see how it and your feet do.

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
I have a similar situation to Christy. My fitter doesn't sell boots either. But at a first visit he will advise you what boots would work for you. I bought my boots, not knowing that. The shop would tweak and do a few things, but not much. Barry's work double the price, but I can wear. I have major construction work, new foot beds and aftermarket heaters put in.

But I know the next time what boots to look at.....#### that could be next year...

So your budget of $500 might be good if you don't need custom footbeds, or can find some of last year's left overs. You could always try the "superfeet" off the shelf first and next season get the foot beds.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Hi @Aquata! Welcome!

I just had my first real boot fitting too and I was really worried about the cost as well. I had heard anything from $400-$1000- YIKES!

I made an appointment with my on-the-mountain boot fitter who works out of our shop. From what I understand the fitting is usually included in the cost of the boot if you buy the boots from them, but custom work- plaining, footbeds, etc. are extra and charged by the hour (at our shop at least. I think some places may do this by the individual item).

Anyway, an hour long appointment, thermo-molding of my boot & liner and I walked away spending $270 with tax. I was overjoyed (I had expected ~$400). A big part of the reason for that great price was that I bought boots that were last year's model. So they were already 50% off retail.

Another thing that helped was that I brought my SuperFeet insoles with me. Luckily my feet aren't too weird, so I don't need the full custom insoles; the stock SuperFeet do the trick. That also saved money. If you have insoles already in your boots, bring those with you and if the alignment works, you may save yourself the cost of having custom insoles made for you.

I would suggest- make an appointment with the boot fitter and then be upfront with them and say "this is the budget I have for this right now. I don't need the latest/greatest boot from this season, I just need what is going to fit me the best. Can we do that within my budget?"

I found being upfront about my budget limitations meant that they were more inclined to look for what they had that would work for me from last season's stock rather than immediately go to this year's stuff (Note that may not may not be possible depending on your shop's inventory). Also, as I was trying to decide between two different models, the boot fitter in his expertise, knew that one model would needs more 'tweaks' for me than the other. That would mean more spent down the line. So we were able to pick one that fit my foot and my budget. Win-Win and I'm a happy camper!!! And hopefully a more happy camper once I get to ski in said boots!

Good luck!

Aquata

Diva in Training
Thanks everyone. I didn't know separate foot beds were really a thing, so that was super helpful. I'll make an appointment and go in with a budget of $500ish and see what they can work with on that. Even if I can just get new boots initially, I am sure they will be better than what I have been skiing on. If I have to do the more custom stuff later due to budget, I will, but it's good to know I can do them separately. I know the ski shop I'm planning on using sells boots as well. I'm also planning on getting my bindings done there. I'm really excited to upgrade my equipment and I'm glad I'm doing it in the fall/early winter so that I can hopefully afford to have really nice gear for most of this season. Thank you!

Sounds like a good plan. What are your new skis?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
The fitting, in your case, will largely be comprised of looking at your foot structure and stance, asking you lots of questions about your skiing and bringing out a number (hopefully!) of contenders.

Remember that a properly fitting boot is NOT going to feel cushy and comfortable but near-uncomfortably snug. Also remember that the boot flex will feel softer at room temperature than it will at 10-20F.

Modifications, if needed, come afterward. Foot beds are a supremely good idea for just about everyone. Good ones last a long time.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, the insoles that come stock with boots are essentially garbage. But I would think you could put custom insoles into your budget for a later date and buy some Superfeet as was mentioned above for now.

I think MOST shops will tweak the boots they sell as part of the purchase process, included in the retail price of the boots, with any fairly involved modifications being an additional cost. I have a feeling at your level of skiing, they are not going to do many major mods, if any. (I had major mods done multiple times by the shop I bought my boots and Zipfit liners from in Mammoth, for no charge. So, ask!)

With all that, I think $500 is a workable budget but definitely ask if they have any previous year's stock available that would work for you. Also, ask if there will be a charge to have additional tweaking done throughout the ski season.

And, yes! Inquiring minds want to know what skis you bought! :becky:

Aquata

Diva in Training
Thanks everyone. I know ski boots won't be super cozy and comfy, but I also don't think it's normal that I'm in so much pain sometimes that I have to stop skiing for the day. I know the boots I have now are basically garbage, or at the very least, definitely don't fit properly.

I got Line Tease skis, 157cm. I can't wait to ski on them this winter. My old skis were only something like 140cm super beginner skis, so I'm really looking forward to being able to actually improve once all of my new gear is set up. The old stuff was great to learn on but is now holding me back from getting better.

tease_C14_02.jpg

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually, properly fitted boots can be quite comfy and can keep your feet warmer. Not comfy like slippers, but comfortable enough to ski in for a day without dying of pain or having to constantly loosen them before each chair ride. A lot of pain can come from a foot moving around inside a boot that is too big or poorly fitted.

Those skis are beautiful! Don't know much about them but yes, you will progress a lot on skis and boots that allow you to!

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My boots cost $475. They were the "current" year at the time, bought in a shop with a fitter. I looked online afterwards, and the shop beat every online store even though it was October and the boots were current models.

I did not get in-shop heating and molding, as I just can't figure out what my "ski stance" is in October standing on a rug. They adjusted the cuff tilt and had me stand on some pad that evaluated where my weight was with some screen that reminded me of mood rings. I needed no stance adjustments. I had no weird knobs on my feet. They then told me to go ski them and come back in ten days for adjustments. I already owned custom insoles. The boots were evenly SNUG all over. To the point that as I stood in them tuning my skis (it was October), I couldn't take more than ten minutes before I WANTED THEM OFF!!!! Not pain, per se, just absolutely suffocatingly SNUG.

Finally started skiing in them, knowing that I needed ten days before complaining. And, never went back that season. Put over 70 days on them. The next season, skied them two or three days, decided that one toe was bugging me. Went back, 14 months after buying them, had them blow out the boot shell a bit over my right toe and reposition the toe buckle slightly because one notch was too tight and the next was flopping and the twist for micro adjusting wasn't sufficient. He just did a slight plastic reformation and that was enough to allow me to tighten the buckle so it stayed closed without cutting off circulation. No charge. Initial fit was good enough that now after two seasons, 153 days, they are still fitting well. That has been helped by a boot feature called an adjustable last. Basically, they were snug when they were close to fully "wide" and I've just turned that screw to tighten the last a bit as the liner compacted. The length of the boot has always been short as can be seen by me still needing a toe blown out after a season (basically I endured a whole season of toe unhappy before I decided that the liner was not going to compress anymore). I can foresee that sometime this season I may need to throw in a thin insole to take up some space. So, cost for boots and adjustments, $475. Initial cost for custom insoles was around $100 back in 2005-ish. It always kills me to pay that much for insoles, but those have over 600 days on them.

Jenny

Angel Diva
That has been helped by a boot feature called an adjustable last. Basically, they were snug when they were close to fully "wide" and I've just turned that screw to tighten the last a bit as the liner compacted.
That's cool - what brand are they?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna