• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boot fitting cost?

Jilly

Staff member
He told me what boot to get. As a pro, I can get a deal through the CSIA. So needed to know model and flex. He was bang on with it. I did need to square off the toe area though. But less work than was on the old Technica's. So the best bet is to see him first.

For example, I and Mr. Lizzy always thought he was an Atomic man. Like it's tattoo'd on a body part. But the first boot he recommended to Lizzy was a Lange. So he knows his boots.

https://skiconnexions.ca/

MsJen

Certified Ski Diva
Boots are going to be expensive in WB no matter where you go there. The place is just expensive. If it's the fitter I know, for your $ 400 you will most likely be getting custom insoles too. And actually his price hasn't risen in 4 years. One thing about Barry is that you can buy your boots anywhere, he will work on them. But it's nice to have his recommendation before you buy boots. He can do wonders, but if the boot is too big or just wrong it's could be more expensive to buy another pair.

If she's talking about Barry Ellison, yes. That is all he does. Fit is guaranteed though. Last year he worked out a local shop at WB. I might see him this weekend at the sample sale. He hasn't left yet for BC.

Yes, I'm talking about Barry. I actually didn't know what the general costs associated with fitting and boots were, so I had a budget of about $750 and after he said $400 for the fitting consult, I was a bit surprised but I am willing to pay for the expertise and guidance. I guess I just didn't expect to be paying $800+ for ski boots. No doubt it is important to get something that works well but I don't need anything that is top of the line, or even in season given that I'm a low-level intermediate and I'm just hoping to invest into improving my skiing!

So I guess my question is, should I keep my appointment with Barry and just outline the above and see what he can do (but bearing in mind that others have mentioned that resort destinations are more pricey and be prepared to pay); or should I get pre-fitted (I'm not sure if that is even a thing? locally in Australia or Vancouver where I'll have a few days) and then bring myself and boots for a consult with Barry for the customisation? He seems really lovely and I just don't want to be wasting his time.

Thank you for everyone's input. I might just need to start saving more now :smile:

MsJen

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you @sihbusky - unfortunately I am from Australia so I won't be able to head to PA!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hank you @sihbusky - unfortunately I am from Australia so I won't be able to head to PA!

I mean, it's your decision and I'm sure Australia is nice or whatever, but you're going to miss out on seeing a LOT of cement factories on your way to icy ski slopes studded with graffiti and light beer cans. :becky:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No doubt it is important to get something that works well but I don't need anything that is top of the line, or even in season given that I'm a low-level intermediate and I'm just hoping to invest into improving my skiing!

So, this *may* allow you to get a cheaper boot. It sort of depends. There's a correlation between stiff boots and high end boots, and those stiff high-end boots are more expensive. As a low-level intermediate, it is likely (but not necessarily) the case that you aren't going to be able to flex one of those high-end boots, so a less stiff boot may in fact be a couple of hundred dollars cheaper.

Note all the qualifiers. Also, a stiff boot does not necessarily mean you are an amazing skier, nor does a softer flex mean you are a poor skier. But softer boots tend to have more "comfort" features (like the fuzzy interior that I hate), whereas stiffer boots tend to have more "performance" features (more points of adjustment, for example).

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
$400 for a fitting consult? Jinkers, Daphne. You could buy a pair of ZipFit liners for $400 and pretty much never have to worry about boot fit again.

IMHO: Don't make a guru out of a bootfitter. Or at least when you go to see the guru, be an informed consumer. Do some research on your own based on your foot size and type. Try on as many different boots as you can, and read up on liners.

Fitters will tell you, for example, that a boot is "narrow" or "low volume" because that's what the company says it is. But not all low volume boots are equally low volume. Last year I went from shop to shop until I'd tried on nearly every single "low volume" boot on the market. Some were nowhere near snug enough; most were underwhelming. Finally one was perfectly snug and the difference was dramatic. I wonder if a fitter would have put me in those boots. Or what boots I'd be in if the fitter I saw didn't happen to be an Atomic dealer?

(Atomic Hawx Ultra, btw, for anyone with super narrow feet.)

MsJen

Certified Ski Diva
I'm hoping that I have a "normal" foot and I can get away with a softer boot. I believe that the $400 cost custom footbed and modifications to the shell. It's tough to find all the information and everyone's needs are so different that there is no hard or fast rules. I guess that's where the high price comes in for a consult. I'm more just hesitating at the price of boots and still in a bit of shock (as I've rented the last few times and forgotten how costly owing is...)!!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also got free fitting and lifetime adjustments which is usually called a guaranteed fit from a local shop in Boise Idaho. I didn;t have to get custom footbeds from them but I did. The boot fitter was there to help me choose the right boots so not much needed to be done to them to make them fit. It wasn't the end of the season so i paid full price but I also got to choose from a wide variety of boots and not what was left at the end of the season. I was really happy with the process and service. I actually joined this site when I was getting ready to get new boots and solicited lots of advice to know what to do. In the end I was really pleased with it all. I know I spent less than $1000 but can't remember, maybe $600. I ended up with Nordica Speed Machine 90-100 but that was about 7 years ago. Here's the thread if you are interested: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/im-getting-new-boots-and-am-scared.11845/

Last edited:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On reflection, I did go through two pair of boots before I found the ones that worked, and that totaled about $800. So from that perspective, $400 for a guaranteed fit would have made sense.

Jilly

Staff member
The $400 Is not the consult....its the work. That's what I paid Barry the first time to fix a $400 pair of totally wrong boots. I wore those for 4 more years. I could have just bought another pair of probably wrong boots again. He did a lot of work and the footbeds. My new boots required less work so less cost. We just don't have enough of these kind of guys. There is another guy in Toronto. Dedicated ski shops are getting hard to find that can fit.

MsJen

Certified Ski Diva
I also got free fitting and lifetime adjustments which is usually called a guaranteed fit from a local shop in Boise Idaho. I didn;t have to get custom footbeds from them but I did. The boot fitter was there to help me choose the right boots so not much needed to be done to them to make them fit. It wasn't the end of the season so i paid full price but I also got to choose from a wide variety of boots and not what was left at the end of the season. I was really happy with the process and service. I actually joined this site when I was getting ready to get new boots and solicited lots of advice to know what to do. In the end I was really pleased with it all. I know I spent less than $1000 but can't remember, maybe $600. I ended up with Nordica Speed Machine 90-100 but that was about 7 years ago. Here's the thread if you are interested: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/im-getting-new-boots-and-am-scared.11845/

Thank you for the help!

Jilly

Staff member
I don't know of any ski shop that I've frequented in Quebec or Ontario that offers free fitting. DH had work done on a pair years ago. It was extra, Ski Max at Tremblant. I'm sure the places in Ottawa are the same. But maybe the boots are priced less.

I know of lots of people that use Barry. One couldn't ski after lunch as his feet/ankle hurt too much.

Anyways, I'll get off the soapbox.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know of lots of people that use Barry. One couldn't ski after lunch as his feet/ankle hurt too much.

I hope you mean that he couldn't ski after lunch *until* he used Barry.

I don't think anyone is saying that you *shouldn't* do a separate fit after buying boots - just discussing their personal experiences and providing information about what they've paid. Which is what the OP requested.

Jilly

Staff member
Yes, trying to type too fast on a tablet.

What I saying is those who get work done on their boots at the store where they buy them and not have to pay extra - are really lucky. I don't know of any shop in about a 4 hour range from here that doesn't charge extra for work done. Simple buckles maybe not, but toe blow outs, etc...$$.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, trying to type too fast on a tablet.

What I saying is those who get work done on their boots at the store where they buy them and not have to pay extra - are really lucky. I don't know of any shop in about a 4 hour range from here that doesn't charge extra for work done. Simple buckles maybe not, but toe blow outs, etc...$$.

Oof. I didn't realize that. It seems common around here - but of course there's a huge, dedicated skiing population. I didn't realize how lucky I am.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe its a Canadian vs US thing? Both the bigger ski shops in Boise that I talked with guaranteed the fit; one required that you bought custom footbeds and the other didn't. I agree the $400 fitting would scare me away unless I had tried all the other options first.

Here in the US its the same when you buy tires for your car, the shop you got them at will do lifetime flat fixes and free rotations.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga