• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Abandoning/pushing beginners

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually don't encourage anyone to ski. I tell people it's great sport and if they are interested they should try it with instruction but this is where I stop. I am friends with one of my colleagues, she is relatively new in the country and never skied. I am always tempted to invite her up, but I don't want to feel responsible. If she injures herself and will be out of action as a result, our boss will eat me alive.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
not to derail the thread and go back to an earlier conversation in the thread - but are a few of you (@nopoleskier @surfsnowgirl ) saying that there are places where they don't really show the alpine responsibility code?

it's everywhere here - it's on the day lift tickets, at the top of runs, just on random signs everywhere...there's no way not to know the code. I thought that was a big thing that was at every resort (for liability reasons too). like @Jilly mentioned - it's on quite a few paper products too...not napkins though :smile:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
not to derail the thread and go back to an earlier conversation in the thread - but are a few of you (@nopoleskier @surfsnowgirl ) saying that there are places where they don't really show the alpine responsibility code?

it's everywhere here - it's on the day lift tickets, at the top of runs, just on random signs everywhere...there's no way not to know the code. I thought that was a big thing that was at every resort (for liability reasons too). like @Jilly mentioned - it's on quite a few paper products too...not napkins though :smile:
At Heavenly and Northstar it's on the inside door of every bathroom stall! And it is on napkins (serviettes) and about everywhere you look. And they do enforce reckless skiing/riding as mentioned in one of my posts.

I was just saying I wish everywhere had a giant board with stats of people who had their lift tickets yanked.

I've seen the code in various places including lift tickets. I just wished every mountain enforced it more. There's just too many people imo that are flying around recklessly and I just wish the reckless people had it "jammed down their throats" a little more.

I know the code is printed in most places and how can someone not know that code. However, it just seems to me there are a lot of skiers out there that don't know or care that they are a danger to themselves and others.

That's all I meant and was saying.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Heavenly doesn't list dates and names... It's a really large board with a number that keeps changing..

Heavenly doesn't list dates and names... It's a really large board with a number that keeps changing..

I really just meant a vehicle such as that to show everyone the code is a real thing and there are consequences if you violate it. That's great heavenly does that.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I've also seen at European ski resorts employees with bright yellow ponchos that say something like "speed police" on the back of the poncho.

I've also seen at European ski resorts employees with bright yellow ponchos that say something like "speed police" on the back of the poncho.

That's cool. I heard Jiminy Peak in western Massachusetts has speed patrolers as well. Great idea.

Jilly

Staff member
At Whistler they actually use off duty RCMP officers as speed police. You get a warning first, second time your ticket or pass yanked. There are all kinds of signs saying slow area, or speed zone.

I like the idea of a notice board with numbers, no names though.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Really? I've never seen that anywhere in France, Austria or Italy!

I like the idea though, you see a lot of people out of control, going too fast and endangering/scaring slower skiers.

I've been 'buzzed' by some arsehole before, because he obviously thought I was going too slowly, scared the crap out of me!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Really? I've never seen that anywhere in France, Austria or Italy!

I like the idea though, you see a lot of people out of control, going too fast and endangering/scaring slower skiers.

I've been 'buzzed' by some arsehole before, because he obviously thought I was going too slowly, scared the crap out of me!
Sorry don't remember where but yes have seen rhem. Maybe wengen switzerland or zermatt? Most recent trips were chamonix.. Maybe there?

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe, I've not been to Switzerland or Chamonix. Let's hope the idea catches on in more places!

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I must admit it's something I've never seen in the Espace Killy but it is something I'd like to see more of as people really do need to be educated around skiing to the conditions and their ability.It's a stereotypical cliche but all of my close calls have generally been with out of control young men.I've reported people to patrol at home and it seems that here in NZ we are trying to get the message across.If you are skiing fast in a crowded beginner/intermediate area then you totally deserve to have your pass pulled.There's a time and a place.One other thing that does drive me crazy is freestyle boarders and skiers doing tricks off of the side of a piste and re-entering the piste mid trick with no regard for the people already there.Cant they just keep it in the park or when there is space.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One other thing that does drive me crazy is freestyle boarders and skiers doing tricks off of the side of a piste and re-entering the piste mid trick with no regard for the people already there.Cant they just keep it in the park or when there is space.

That is what happened to @Skisailor two years ago at Big Sky ... with severe consequences.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Yes at my Home Mt. IMHO definitely Not in enough places.. But several of the experienced Instructors Brought this up at our Open House meeting this past Sunday.

There's always going to be people that have no clue about them and unless it's posted in many places sadly others will get hurt. To many come to the Mt w/friends that 'teach' them to ski but do not tell them the code. Dangerous For Sure!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna