• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2014 Cycle Stoke Thread

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am really struggling with tight turns/switchbacks. Especially turning to the right and especially going downhill. Owner of the bike shop told me to point my hips the direction I am turning and of course look that way. (Much like riding a horse. You don't really steer a horse with the reins.) Any other advice?

Might be time to head down to Park City and ride some of the practice courses down there. Because that's exactly what I need!

Rode through a large stretch FULL of gnats today. Came home, blew my nose and gnats gnats everywhere! :scared:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know if Snowbasin is considered a downhill resort, but I'm assuming so. You can ride the gondola up and bike down--I guess that's kind of a clue, isn't it? Or you can do like Matt and ride up and ride down!

Tips on steering--woot!! Thanks!!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I am really struggling with tight turns/switchbacks. Especially turning to the right and especially going downhill. Owner of the bike shop told me to point my hips the direction I am turning and of course look that way.!

Well that doesn't make sense to me. I always put it context to hips inside or outside of the corner. Hips to outside, belly button facing "into" the turn.
See the tips thread. I just added some stuff about switchbacks.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
He's saying the same thing, just in a different way. If the belly button is facing the turn, the pelvis (hips) will do the same. But hips to the outside was not mentioned and might be a rather large part of the equation :thumbsup: He did admit he's not good at putting into words what he's explaining. Said his wife is really good at that and mentioned he might try to have her do a clinic. I hope she does!

altagirl

Staff member
He's saying the same thing, just in a different way. If the belly button is facing the turn, the pelvis (hips) will do the same. But hips to the outside was not mentioned and might be a rather large part of the equation :thumbsup: He did admit he's not good at putting into words what he's explaining. Said his wife is really good at that and mentioned he might try to have her do a clinic. I hope she does!

Agreed - I've heard it both ways, and heard coaches arguing about whether you should say hips or belly button - to me, "hips" made a lot more sense and was the cue that originally clicked for me. I'd heard the belly button cue and even though logically - how are you going to point your belly button in a direction other than the direction of your hip points (bones)? - one clicked and the other didn't. So when I was coaching, I'd usually start with the terminology that worked for me - which is to imagine headlights on your hip bones and think of lighting up the trail you're following with them. That seemed to work for most people in my experience, but others like the "point your belly button where you're going" thing. Whatever makes it make sense to you.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I didn't understand the hips outside the turns for the longest time. Additionally, it's more obviously exaggerated in high speed cornering than in a switchback although the principal is the same. Honestly, I didn't get it until I did the ICP clinic with Kat Sweet teaching last year. Between Kat's "fart over a cliff" drill and static holds in the position for cornering, that is when I got it. The static hold blew my mind and made about 10 light bulbs go off in my head. ohhhhh THAT'S what they are talking about....

My observation is that if you can get the body bike separation thing dialed in at slow speed, that is one of the keys to descending switchbacks.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What is this "static hold" thing? I am intrigued.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I will have to see if I can find images. It is a very cool technique. It is not commonly used in clinics as it is time intensive.

altagirl

Staff member
Just holding basically an assisted track stand in the cornering position? I think that helps a lot too. I like doing that in cornering clinics. Once you get that counterbalance you can see why it works as you only need a teensy bit of assistance to hold it (and can work towards track standing with that bike body separation).

And my cue with the hips is that it's like you're closing the car door with your hips because your arms are full. That one I'm not sure makes sense to everyone, but it feels like that to me.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
That's a good visual Connie. Nothing like more tools in the tool box.
Ok, so here's not great photo of a cornering static hold. The idea is that the bike can get pretty far over, with the rider counterbalancing. It is a very good opportunity to not only feel the counterbalance but also the add in the hip rotation in a controlled environment. A rider should be able to balance perfectly counterbalanced, and let go with their hands, balancing on their feet.

you can get bike way over with the rider way counterbalanced. This is not a great example but it's all I have.
IMG_1685.JPG

altagirl

Staff member
And I am curious as to what the Fart Over the Cliff is? :rotf:
Hah, it world really be the same as shutting the car door with your hip. But like, I have to fart, so I'll point my behind over the outside edge of the switchback (cliff).

(I've coached with Kat before too, she's awesome)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just holding basically an assisted track stand in the cornering position? I think that helps a lot too. I like doing that in cornering clinics. Once you get that counterbalance you can see why it works as you only need a teensy bit of assistance to hold it (and can work towards track standing with that bike body separation).

And my cue with the hips is that it's like you're closing the car door with your hips because your arms are full. That one I'm not sure makes sense to everyone, but it feels like that to me.
I didn't understand the hips outside the turns for the longest time. Additionally, it's more obviously exaggerated in high speed cornering than in a switchback although the principal is the same. Honestly, I didn't get it until I did the ICP clinic with Kat Sweet teaching last year. Between Kat's "fart over a cliff" drill and static holds in the position for cornering, that is when I got it. The static hold blew my mind and made about 10 light bulbs go off in my head. ohhhhh THAT'S what they are talking about....

My observation is that if you can get the body bike separation thing dialed in at slow speed, that is one of the keys to descending switchbacks.

I'm going to have to play with that on this massive uphill with switchbacks on Thursday.
Thanks for the tips.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
the best way to practice for switch backs is small tight circles, out of the saddle, around cone. You practice slow riding, leaning the bike in counterbalancing and looking with eyes and hips

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm thinking that mastering this (body bike separation) will help improve angulation and upper/lower body separation on skis, by building on one's proprioception. I've always heard that mt bike is the best off-season ski conditioning.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga