• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2014 Cycle Stoke Thread

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Idea taken from an EpicSki thread for cycle stoke pictures. The one on EpicSki tends to be mountain bike biased but lets get some cycle stoke going for cycle enthusiasts of all kinds. Photos or videos of you and your riding buddies...
Road, Mt Bike and (dare I say it) Dirt Bike
I know we have some dirt bike divas here :wink:
Here are a few shots of a ride we took a few days ago on Emigrant Trail near Truckee.

LL

LL

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like a blast!!!

I just ordered a new Trek Lush S full suspension 29'er so hope to have some pics soon! Bike will be ready next week :D Am I ready for said bike? Not so sure but at least I'll have something that won't jar my teeth out when attempting rocky terrain, and that I can grow into! Getting tubeless tires for it, too :D

Several of our Divas will appreciate the fact that my husband has biked with Jim Forster (4ster) now that we're living in Utah. Found out he knows quite well a family who was in our wedding in Lake Tahoe--such a small world! Hoping to build my skill and strength enough to tag along with the boys on one of their rides. For now, I am so fortunate to have met some amazing women already who let me tag along and provide encouragement. Some seriously cool gals who are fit and strong and provide great motivation--and of course they all ski :clap: Can you say season pass to Snowbasin for skiing and biking? Yes, please!

Can I just say Utah is freakin' AMAZING! Ogden is the perfect sized town with plenty of things to do! :jumphappy:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm looking forward to seeing more of your adventures from Utah!
Bring it!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just need to remember to drag out my camera (or phone.) It is so awesome here!!

altagirl

Staff member
I just need to remember to drag out my camera (or phone.) It is so awesome here!!
Same here.

I went mountain biking at the Canyons most of the day today, and then did an hour road ride around PC... It was awesome, but I took zero pictures... Oops.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was riding in Winter Park! I even stopped to take a picture of a couple - but didn't take any pictures of myself.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same here.

I went mountain biking at the Canyons most of the day today, and then did an hour road ride around PC... It was awesome, but I took zero pictures... Oops.

I was told to ride Park City for smooth, super fun single track! Need to head down there one of these days.

Yep we are a "Dirt Bike" Family....DD recently on her 50. probably needs a bigger bike now, and out grew her boots!
View attachment 2905

That looks fun! The bike does look a tad small :tongue:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like a blast!!!

I just ordered a new Trek Lush S full suspension 29'er so hope to have some pics soon! Bike will be ready next week :D Am I ready for said bike? Not so sure but at least I'll have something that won't jar my teeth out when attempting rocky terrain, and that I can grow into! Getting tubeless tires for it, too :D

Bikes aren't like skis. I don't think a bike can be "too advanced" for the rider. I'm still a luddite and skeptical of this new-fangled 29 inch tire bidness (for myself!), but @RachelV swears by her 29er. which I think she got when she moved out here to Colorado.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, I know a bike can't be technically "too advanced" (unless someone doesn't even know how to shift!) but I hope I can do the bike justice. :D Very excited about it. My husband just bought his own 29er and he really likes it!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, I know a bike can't be technically "too advanced" (unless someone doesn't even know how to shift!) but I hope I can do the bike justice. :D Very excited about it. My husband just bought his own 29er and he really likes it!

I have an Ellsworth. It is a million times better than I am. But you know what? It fits me like a glove, and I get a big sh*t-eating grin whenever I ride it. If I feel self-conscious about such a nice bike for such a mediocre rider, I tell myself that some people have the skills and lungs to ride a cheaper bike well; me, I have limited skills and lungs, so I need all the help I can get!

Plus, it's hawt.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Bikes aren't like skis. I don't think a bike can be "too advanced" for the rider. I'm still a luddite and skeptical of this new-fangled 29 inch tire bidness (for myself!), but @RachelV swears by her 29er. which I think she got when she moved out here to Colorado.

I do love my 29er. I didn't mountain bike at all until I moved out here a few years ago, and I'm still pretty intermediate by anyone's standards. I demo'ed both a 26" bike (why does no one say 26er?) and a 29er when I was bike shopping, and I ended up with a Giant Anthem 29er. The ride is way flowier and smoother than the 26" bike, and it just rolls over everything. Maybe going uphill is a little harder, I dunno, but it feels fine to me. Also tight switchbacks have been a bear to learn. Love the bike overall, though... just super flowy and really fun.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's not true. A bike set up can be too advanced and some of the higher end bikes come with a more aggressive set up. And 29'rs are amazing for the right terrain. Those things climb like a billy goat.

I bought a bike off Ebay a few years ago so I could turn it into a SS. The man I bought it from said.
"I'm not sure why my wife won't ride it. I bought her a really expensive bike"
When I got on it and started riding it I could see why. It had a super aggressive set up that could real out a new biker. I knew to drop the seat and get back during down hill sections.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an Ellsworth. It is a million times better than I am. But you know what? It fits me like a glove, and I get a big sh*t-eating grin whenever I ride it. If I feel self-conscious about such a nice bike for such a mediocre rider, I tell myself that some people have the skills and lungs to ride a cheaper bike well; me, I have limited skills and lungs, so I need all the help I can get!

Plus, it's hawt.

Yeah, that's me! Limited skills and my lungs are still acclimating to the altitude! :thumb: It sure is fun riding and that's all I care about!

I do love my 29er. I didn't mountain bike at all until I moved out here a few years ago, and I'm still pretty intermediate by anyone's standards. I demo'ed both a 26" bike (why does no one say 26er?) and a 29er when I was bike shopping, and I ended up with a Giant Anthem 29er. The ride is way flowier and smoother than the 26" bike, and it just rolls over everything. Maybe going uphill is a little harder, I dunno, but it feels fine to me. Also tight switchbacks have been a bear to learn. Love the bike overall, though... just super flowy and really fun.

I'll have a comparison to offer when I finally get to ride my 29er since I've been on a 26 inch, just haven't ridden much technical stuff on it. My understanding is the 29ers climb much more easily. And switchbacks are just difficult! When I pedaled the 29er around the parking lot, flowy and smooth is exactly how it felt, and it also seemed like it would turn more easily. I think the geometry of it is just that much better than my old bike that it is going to make a lot of things a ton easier. At least that's my hope:becky:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's not true. A bike set up can be too advanced and some of the higher end bikes come with a more aggressive set up. And 29'rs are amazing for the right terrain. Those things climb like a billy goat.

I bought a bike off Ebay a few years ago so I could turn it into a SS. The man I bought it from said.
"I'm not sure why my wife won't ride it. I bought her a really expensive bike"
When I got on it and started riding it I could see why. It had a super aggressive set up that could real out a new biker. I knew to drop the seat and get back during down hill sections.

Maybe she had no skills whatsoever? I suppose a racing bike could be too tricked out--I bought a one-up-from-baseline full suspension (meaning, the intro full-suspension bike had lesser components but is still a $2000 bike, so not a $700 bike with upped components. Mine was $2500.) Anyway, it's not a race bike, but I could trick it out to be one if I want I suppose. Seems like if I went with less, I'd just be riding similar to my $600 bike I bought 7 years ago. I could have gone cheaper with a hardtail, but the hardtails beat me up--I'm too old for that anymore!

altagirl

Staff member
I don't know that I'd call it too advanced though. XC race bikes require a certain body position, but that's more about flexibility and the ability to be comfortable in that position than skill. It also just means that you are more interested in efficiency than comfort. I don't think that necessarily correlates to skill either. I think it's more about finding a bike you can be comfortable on and understanding your priorities.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to put a beginner on an XC race bike from the start if it fit them and matched up with their goals and terrain. You can endo any bike, and learning the skills to avoid that is key no matter what you are riding.

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I guess I don't really think of bikes as "advanced" or "beginner" - just suited for different purposes. I endo'd my downhill bike the first time I rode it, and that has the slackest geometry around - I just wasn't used to the massive brake rotors. And that's after riding mountain bike trails for years.

I think of bikes more in terms of price and what you get for the extra money. More expensive bikes aren't more "advanced", but they typically shift better (especially under stress), are lighter, have less suspension bob, stuff like that. Those are things that are at least as valuable for a newbie as for an advanced rider. A super aggressive ride wouldn't be my choice, and it's not because I'm a beginner.

The difference, I suppose, is: As an advanced rider, I know that I don't want an aggressive geometry, and I know enough to recognize it or at least ask about it. A beginner wouldn't. God if I had a nickel for every time a man picks out a piece of equipment for a woman, and it's not the right match .... I'd be rich!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SnowHot : lovely pics. @contesstant : congrats on the new bike, from pics of the Ogden area that I've seen, you're in store for lots of fun adventuring.:thumbsup: I hope to ride with you gals one of these summer days.

abc

Banned
Same here.

+1

Yesterday I led a ride for my club, in which everyone was wearing a shi$-eating grin the whole way. There's some cool scenery too. But we were MOVING. So no pictures.

We even TALKED about the great scenery at our lunch stop, and then at the finish...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna