• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. Fluffy Kitty

New ski tuning advice

(I know I'm repeating a lot of suggestions...) Do check the flatness as others have suggested, but, otherwise, I would not change anything until you've skied them a few days, see what the quirks are. Since you demoed them before you made your choice, I'd say definitely don't change anything...
  2. Fluffy Kitty

Why ski resorts are dying

:smile: Totally. I have a pet peeve, about the fact that the crowd is always larger on powder days. Those are the worst days for beginners to learn or for intermediates to really get the appetite to come more often. I see all these people struggling in tracked-out Cascade Concrete Crud, the...
  3. Fluffy Kitty

Ski Nightmares (literally)

[Not exactly a nightmare, because it ends during a positive moment, but the "series of obstacles" theme is common in my dreams.] I arrive at the mountain, and drag the equipment into the lodge. I notice how much softer my new skis are compared to my old ones. I glare at the “rocker” on the base...
  4. Fluffy Kitty

Snow!

I want photos! From Big Sky: Ramcharger, on live video at https://bigskyresort.com/webcams, and you can see the snow fall!
  5. Fluffy Kitty

Snow!

Now at Willamette Pass! Time to put on the snow tires! And Timberline base:
  6. Fluffy Kitty

Snow!

Rain will be here in a few days, but, for now, there is nothing more exciting or beautiful... From Bachelor:
  7. Fluffy Kitty

Snow!

Well, a small smattering at the peaks... Bachelor: Hood/Palmer:
  8. Fluffy Kitty

How many of these "old school" ski areas have you skied?

They have snowmaking equipment, but I don't think it's been used for years. Same with night-skiing lights.
  9. Fluffy Kitty

Ptex tips for DIY base repair?

Hmmm... It should be hot enough in a few minutes. Some irons can take 5-10 minutes, and you should be able to "smell the heat". If it's not heating up enough, it's probably defective. You can see if Tognar can send you a new one. That should not be happening regardless of the candle. It may be...
  10. Fluffy Kitty

My Last Day of the Season

It is my last day of the season, and the forecast calls for rain. Then snow. Then both. Then rain. “The devout do not complain,” I remind myself, and pack the car with snow gear and rain gear and layers and NotWax. It is raining. Even past the 5000 ft marker, it is raining hard, and the...
  11. Fluffy Kitty

Curing the backseat blues

@Skisailor and @liquidfeet, if I may butt in, would you consider taking this conversation private? I respect both your opinions a great deal, and generally appreciate having a diversity of views. Still, as much as I would like to see a public debate, I'm sensing there is something that may be...
  12. Fluffy Kitty

Self Arrest Techniques?

Last weekend, I tripped and fell onto my front side on a steep trail, with my head pointing downhill. At first, I was pretty relaxed about it. It was a bit icy, but I had a lot of contact on the ground. Surely, I thought, I would come to a stop soon enough. However, about ten yards down, I...
  13. Fluffy Kitty

Rusty edges :(

@mahgnillig, I wouldn't worry about the rust unless it is red and "blooming". Black discoloration and flat red rust will not affect the skis' performance, and the red stuff will definitely wear off within a few runs, black stuff after several days on the hill. Red rust in areas where there is...
  14. Fluffy Kitty

Mogul skiing

I suspect you are more advanced than I am, so you may know all of these, but I also suspect you are talking about no ordinary moguls. Here is a thread with a lot of helpful tips for tackling mogul fields; some are technical, some are line choices, and some are psychological...
  15. Fluffy Kitty

What does your number of ski days say about you?

How about: "You could have been a trustafarian, but foolishly decided to take on yet another thankless job so that you can help people who are endangered by a newly-hostile sociopolitical context, and now you can't even count on weekends, and your fancy snow tires are seeing more dirt than...
  16. Fluffy Kitty

New skis wonky in hard snow

I'm going to offer the completely opposite recommendation. Sometimes, on ice--and "true ice" is always uneven, never completely flat--if you find that you cannot get "off edge", it's because you actually do not yet have a good edge hold; the little ripples on the surface are repeatedly tossing...
  17. Fluffy Kitty

Advanced skier but still get on hill panic attacks

FWIW, I become incapacitated every time I fall, especially if I hit my head, however lightly. I've never had a real concussion, but I act a little bit like I've had one, sometimes even if I didn't hit my head on the snow: shivering, weak legged, fearful, unable to plan my line, unable to...
  18. Fluffy Kitty

Ski socks

I am a Eurosock Superlite fan, too. Very thin, good support, and warm enough. I like it that it's all synthetic (allergies and such), and I like the smoothness, in contrast to other Eurosocks; my feet and legs can be very sensitive to seams and padding. The only problem with the Superlites is...
  19. Fluffy Kitty

Please Help

Here are some suggestions on the psychological front, to add to @liquidfeet's lovely suggestions. Not all of these will help, but one of them might. 1) Practice deep breathing during your regular life, like, all the time: sit comfortably, close your eyes, and breathe slowly and deeply...
  20. Fluffy Kitty

Help Needed: About to Give Up

That sounds good. It occurs to me, alpine skiing started out with a bunch of people hurtling themselves down the hill strapped to misbegotten wooden planks on seriously ungroomed snow on unrefined terrain. If they figured out a way to enjoy it, surely you can, too, with your superior equipment...