• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rusty edges :(

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I certainly hadn't had an issue before in the Tahoe area... I don't think they salt the roads much here (probably something to do with keeping salt out of the lake). We've had roof racks for years on multiple vehicles and no problems, which is why I didn't give it a second thought. Maybe "Salt" Lake City should have given me a clue, lol!

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@mahgnillig, I wouldn't worry about the rust unless it is red and "blooming". Black discoloration and flat red rust will not affect the skis' performance, and the red stuff will definitely wear off within a few runs, black stuff after several days on the hill. Red rust in areas where there is little contact with the snow, of course, should be smoothed out down to the black stuff, as it can grow, but I would leave the black stuff and stains alone. Trying to get it off may do more damage to the edge than the rust itself; better to wait until the whole edge is re-sharpened.

That said, you could try a coat of liquid or paste universal wax like Swix F4. I have also seen people recommend Zardoz NotWax. I couldn't tell you how effective these are because I carry my skis inside the car, more because the roads kick up a lot of dirt around here. I also bring the skis into the motel room every night and dry them out; in fact, this might be the key for you, since a sure-fire way to get rust on edges is to leave wet skis in the car overnight. (You can bet same applies to the internals of the bindings, although there is a lot of grease in there.) Even if the skis are dry, the air can get pretty moist overnight, and that is a bigger threat to steel than droplets of water. (Remember experiments of leaving nails half in water? They rust the most where air and water meet and above, where there is moisture and air.)

Incidentally--for dirt-scratch prevention, and not for rust prevention--when I have to use roof racks, I put little plastic bags over the tips. The kind that newspapers are delivered in works well, and are long enough to be held down where the skis are held together.

I suspect tape by itself won't be that useful, as the water can seep in and actually stay on longer. This can also happen with boxes and bags, so make sure they are dry. If you are wrapping your skis in bags, I would definitely not leave them in the car overnight; wet bags will promote rust for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga