• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. snow addict

Sad news from opening day at Solden in Austria

So sad and unnecessary. Early November, not silly teenagers, experienced people, not tourists, but locals who should have known better. Just why??? Since when is going off-piste on steep slopes after heavy snow and winds in early November with thin to non-existent base a good idea? Stay safe...
  2. snow addict

hardpack/ice ski

Your boots won't work with alpine bindings. If you want skis for icy conditions, get some carving skis, any advance level skis should do really, but lean towards SL rather than GS, when it's icy you will appreciate a tighter radius and you don't want a ski that might be too soft. You can go...
  3. snow addict

Touring bindings: ATK Raider 12

Despite having a BSL on a short side (275), I never really experienced any issues related to delta on alpine bindings. The biggest delta is on my Look Pivots 14 bindings that is about 7-8 mm and they never gave me reasons to complain. However, with majority of pin touring bindings (which I think...
  4. snow addict

How steep is steep?

It does sound exaggerated a bit.
  5. snow addict

So, are my quads supposed to be getting tired and sore?

Keep your downhill thigh high. Don't let your butt drop towards the tail of your ski. If it starts dropping, you are sitting on a ski and doing too much work to turn.
  6. snow addict

So, are my quads supposed to be getting tired and sore?

If you are out of shape, or just had too much to ski, you should be having aching glutes or hamstrings. If your quads are burning it usually means that you are sitting on your downhill ski, get up, stand on this downhill ski, don't sit on it. Your skiing will improve and your legs will be...
  7. snow addict

Between sizes for AT boots

Funnily enough last Thursday I went to a "big-box" store to take advantage of sales and get a new transceiver since mine started behaving strange, and saw Gea's on sale too. I liked how narrow they are and got a pair. They fit really well out of the box and I decided not to mold the liners. I...
  8. snow addict

Help Needed: Help Understanding Correct Stance/Posture

I though we were talking about a body. COM is the point on an object at which the weighted relative position of the distributed mass sums to zero, i.e. it is the point on our body about which it rotates. It cannot be by definition outside of our bodies, because then distributed mass cannot sum...
  9. snow addict

Help Needed: Help Understanding Correct Stance/Posture

I generally agree with what you say about heel lifts - they do not work for everyone, but COM is actually fixed in our bodies, we can move it by flexing etc., and it will change it's spatial position, getting higher/lower etc., but it will still be in the same spot in our bodies. My...
  10. snow addict

Drifting ski - causes?

Yes, probably the liner wasn't sitting properly in a shell. But at the time nothing felt wrong, just one ski had its own path even that I was going through all the right moves. Could be brakes too, now that it was mentioned. Resolved easily in the end, but yes, I usually put on boots in a...
  11. snow addict

Drifting ski - causes?

I had something that could be described as a "drifting ski" with my DPS once. It was really weird: I could feel my foot flexing the boot, all the right moves were seemingly there but it was as if there was no connection between boot/binding/ski and my left ski was just dragging along. It was...
  12. snow addict

Technique question for firm groomers

My physics is quite rusty and a 15 year old should be able to explain it much better but there is a very good website with a brilliant section on skiing: www.mechanicsofsport.com
  13. snow addict

It is just that your reference to friction is not very accurate. And knife, steak and spoon example is wrong in the context. You can apply sufficient pressure on your edges and you will stop spite their small surface, and you can slide very far and very fast bases, so surface has no role in...
  14. snow addict

Surface texture does affect the friction force, but surface area is irrelevant. It's not me, it's the law of physics.
  15. snow addict

What type of skier are you? [Funny]

And without full English :)
  16. snow addict

Not really, the force of friction will be directly proportional to the applied load and independent of the contact area. Cutting steak has nothing to do with friction, you can cut steak because the smaller surface of a sharp knife will exert higher kinetic force in a concentrated area.
  17. snow addict

Which altitude? The temperature should be 91-96 C, ideally 95. I use a Bialetti moka pot in the resort and coffee comes out perfect. We are at 1550 meters, but even in a little bar at 3330 meters they serve very good coffee.
  18. snow addict

95 degrees (Celsius) for coffee and only 70-80 degrees for green tea, all usually easily achieved at most resorts altitude. 100 C waster should never be used for coffee, it destroys the flavour.
  19. snow addict

Only black tea requires 100 C water to brew, all other teas actually taste worse when are made with water that hot. The same goes for coffee. It needs 95C for a good taste, above it will be rubbish. So the solution is simple: avoid black tea when in the mountains but all other beverages won't be...
  20. snow addict

Moment Hot Mess

Wow! These top sheets...