• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Moment Hot Mess

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Y'all, I had a list and I was checking it twice, and then DH insisted on stopping by the Moment factory in Reno, NV so he could demo the PB&J again... So I went ahead and picked up a pair of the Hot Mess for funsies and WOW. I was NOT disappointed.

About me: 5'8", 190-ish, intermediate skier looking to progress.

The skis: 2017 Moment Hot Mess, 172cm, 91mm underfoot; the 2017 version is a redesign (for the better, imo) of the 2016 version, with a wider waist width and more tail rocker

The conditions: It's the storm of the decade (no, really), and we were only able to go out for half a day, but we found lots of powder, chop, and crud. It was epic, to say the least.

The review: First off: this ski. It is beautiful. It's so beautiful that when you first see it, it's like walking into a coffee shop to meet your Okcupid date based on a picture and hoping they're not a total dud. Good news: NOT A DUD. Beauty, meet brawn. I rode this ski through everything: groomers, cruddy bumps, chop, even a little bit of powder. It was super responsive, moved quickly edge-to-edge on the groomers (I bet it's the mustache rocker), busted up the crud and chop like it wasn't even there, and floated nicely in the powder (I didn't do very well in the powder, but I think that has more to do with skier error than an inability on the ski's part :wink:).

As some of you may know, I have been searching for the perfect one-ski-quiver (OSQ), and I've been Goldilocks-ing like you wouldn't believe. My goal was to find a ski that's not as stiff as the Volkl Kenja, but stiffer than the Blizzard Black Pearl. Something that could handle any and all conditions while still being hella fun. And, if possible, I prefer to help out an independent, locally-sourced ski company. The Moment Hot Mess hits all of these. All. Of. Them.

I know the Santa Ana 93 has been getting rave reviews this year, and I'm going to go out on a limb (I haven't tried the SA yet) and say that the Moment Hot Mess is a serious rival. If you can, demo it - I don't think you'll regret it at all.

HOT-MESS16-17_1024x1024.png

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Great review @ski_hat . Are you @ Heavenly now? Curious where you took the skis out? Milky Way? Waterfall or Gunbarrel? Trees off Olympic? Trees off Ellie's? Think I'm going up Sunday or Monday and stay until Friday. Well most likely be at Northstar but going to Heavenly Jan 29-Feb 5.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
And you're not kidding about the storm of the season. I just saw on the news they're expecting 6 to 13 feet of snow in the next 5 days.... and some rain in between.

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@santacruz skier thanks! the skis made it easy to review :-D

We did the boulder bowl quite a few times (visibility wasn't too great), and then managed to go up the north bowl lift to upper north bowl -> olympic downhill -> nevada trail -> boulder bowl. We avoided the trees, since we're not quite at that level yet, but there was powder everywhere. :snow:

Please be extra careful driving up - I'll be writing up a conditions report soon, but the tight turns along the mountains + heavy winds (especially at night!) are super scary. Also watch out for flooding!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yes thank you.. not sure which day we're going. We won't be going at night as schedule is very flexible. I live in SC and we are expecting copious amounts of rain so BF may want to stick around and check his roof for leaks...
Don't think I've skied Boulder Bowl as slow lifts down there, but have skied the area under and to skiers left of North Bowl bumps and Nevada woods.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sweet pair of skis! Enjoy & thanks for updating us.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Another one I have to try! The list is getting longer and longer......

Great review!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Caressing, y'all. Apparently people do this to gorgeous cars in parking lots?

@Kimmyt has a picture of herself in bed with her new skis ;-)

I find nothing wrong with ogling, fondling, or caressing beautiful skis. The only reason I don't do it is because I don't want the owner to think I'm about to walk away with them.

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SkiGAP this year's hot mess is basically the "little sister" of the PB&J - thinner, lighter, and softer, but with the same shape. I don't think it's a lot softer, but the lighter core and thinner waist definitely have some effect.

Hope that helps?

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
@SkiGAP this year's hot mess is basically the "little sister" of the PB&J - thinner, lighter, and softer, but with the same shape. I don't think it's a lot softer, but the lighter core and thinner waist definitely have some effect.

Hope that helps?

Yeah that definitely helps. Was just thinking of length, with the PB&J one can go up a size.

Not that I am in the market for skis!

And yes, the HM topsheets are fantastic

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SkiGAP it's worth noting that the PB&J waist width is 101mm, whereas the HM waist is 91mm (at 172cm)...

Not that I'm an enabler by nature or anything :wink:

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the review! Have had this ski on my radar for the last year or so as a replacement for my Elysians after they wear out. Did not realize that the 2017s were updated, so that is especially good to know!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I emailed a local retailer to see if they demo them but sadly they don't demo. They said they were pretty hard to get a demo on (I suppose unless you live near Reno where they do factory demos). They're so pretty though....

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I emailed a local retailer to see if they demo them but sadly they don't demo. They said they were pretty hard to get a demo on (I suppose unless you live near Reno where they do factory demos). They're so pretty though....

In the past, Moment has gone around the country to various mountain demo days... Maybe email them to see if they'll be in your area this season?

Road trip to NorthStar, visit @SnowHot ?

Omg if y'all go to Northstar, I, too, will go to Northstar!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga