• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Closing dates 2017

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It's awfully good PR. It doesn't look like they got the most snow of the Tahoe resorts, and Mount Baker has gotten considerably more than them, so really their snowfall amount isn't that amazing. Although maybe they're holding onto it better? In any case people are going to remember a resort that stayed open all year.
And some other resorts have to abide by Forest Service laws /regulations even if they have as much or more snow. You're right. Squaw does not have the most snow in Tahoe but does have many north facing slopes.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Well, my ski buddies and I closed down Tremblant today. We were there for opening day of the season - and closing day. The latter was better conditions than the former, but not nearly as wonderful as it was last Thursday (and I'm told Friday) when spring conditions were spectacular. Lots of rain yesterday, making for conditions that were a tad slushy despite cool temps. But a fun day nevertheless and some good runs. @Jilly, sorry we weren't able to meet up. Hope to get at least one day in at St. Sauveur - we'll see.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Closing dates for Tahoe resorts (that have been announced so far):

APRIL 23
Boreal Mountain Resort
Diamond Peak
Northstar California
Sugar Bowl
Royal Gorge

MAY 29
Mount Rose Ski Tahoe

JULY 4
Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows

What I find particularly interesting is that some resorts are having to close not because they don't have snow -- which they do -- but because they don't have enough seasonal workers. From UnofficialNetworks.com:

My News 4 spoke with Annora McGarry from Granlibakken who said the resort hires students from the J1 program which is a visa program that allows students from all over the world to come work and experience Tahoe for a few months. Tons of ski resorts participate in the program but did not expect the season to last this long so as the international workers head home they are becoming increasingly short staffed to the point where closure is the only option.

Granlibakken, Donner Ski Ranch, Homewood Mountain Resort, Tahoe Donner Downhill and Tahoe Cross County Ski Area are all closed as of Sunday.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

APRIL 23
Boreal Mountain Resort
Diamond Peak
Northstar California
Sugar Bowl
Royal Gorge

MAY 29
Mount Rose Ski Tahoe

JULY 4

What I find particularly interesting is that some resorts are having to close not because they don't have snow -- which they do -- but because they don't have enough seasonal workers. From UnofficialNetworks.com:

My News 4 spoke with Annora McGarry from Granlibakken who said the resort hires students from the J1 program which is a visa program that allows students from all over the world to come work and experience Tahoe for a few months. Tons of ski resorts participate in the program but did not expect the season to last this long so as the international workers head home they are becoming increasingly short staffed to the point where closure is the only option.

Granlibakken, Donner Ski Ranch, Homewood Mountain Resort, Tahoe Donner Downhill and Tahoe Cross County Ski Area are all closed as of Sunday.
Yep that's true...and they're boasting over 700 inches .. Crazy!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Also, Kirkwood's last day was yesterday and Heavenly is scheduled to close April 30.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Granlibakken and Homewood are both not much above lake level, and the snow's melting fast at that elevation, anyway.

Christy

Angel Diva
Sun Valley also relies on the J1 visa program for workers, and I believe the students can only be here for 4 months.

There's a lot of reasons resorts close with plenty of snow, but I suspect they publicize these other reasons more than "we just don't make enough money because most people stop skiing in spring," which is also true.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's a lot of reasons resorts close with plenty of snow, but I suspect they publicize these other reasons more than "we just don't make enough money because most people stop skiing in spring," which is also true.

Also the cost of resort insurance coverage extension, if allowable, doesn't balance with how few skiers there are.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva

APRIL 23
Boreal Mountain Resort
Diamond Peak
Northstar California
Sugar Bowl
Royal Gorge

MAY 29
Mount Rose Ski Tahoe

JULY 4

This is almost always true of the Alberta resorts - they close because the workers' contracts are up, and they don't have the staff to keep it open. I know Sunshine closes the 3rd week of May, but people are skinning up and skiing well into June.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm hoping to ski into June. Not too frequently, but a day trip here or there would be fun. Also thinking about Mammoth at end of May. I was intrigued by a post someone made about skiing in the morning and cycling in the afternoon. My kind of day!

Christy

Angel Diva
I start to find it a little confusing when I pull up the house in ski pants after a ski day and wonder when the landscapers will be mowing next, and thinking that I have to hurry to shower and get to the Mariners game that evening. That's April I guess.

newboots

Angel Diva
Killington is still open, and I just bought a ticket for tomorrow. I see Day 28 coming on! Let's hope I can handle the conditions. Getting up at 5!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna