• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Closing dates 2017

Jilly

Staff member
We have an opening date thread every year, but what about closing.....is your season done because the local spot is now closed.

Ontario seems to be closing up. A few are still open. But rain is expected all week. Also no snow in the back yard gets people thinking about other sports. Apathy seems to be the problem too. March school break is over, so winter must be too.

Yes, we know those out west have at least 2 more months or more. K-ton must be expecting a late date too.

Where do you stand?

3 more weeks for Tremblant. Closing day currently is Easter Monday.

newboots

Angel Diva
I noticed that Okemo rescheduled one of its late events until a couple of weeks later. Killington is expecting a long season, but after this warm spell we shall see.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The southeast is done, meaning NC, VA, WV. Getting a few days of cold weather and even snow in WV helped keep skiing going into March weekends, but it was a struggle. Snowshoe had the most terrain open in the last few weeks.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The last day for Alta is April 16.

No extra late April weekends this season. Supreme and Cecret will remain open the last week of the season, instead of closing a week before 7-day operations end as has been the tradition. The reason is that work towards replacing Supreme and Cecret is expected to start relatively soon.

In general, after April 16 there won't be any lifts running in Utah except at Snowbird.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fernie is Apr 16. That's late for them, but they always try to stay open for Easter, and this year there's enough snow that I don't think it'll be an issue. Castle Mtn extended their season to Apr 9. Wapiti in Elkford had planned to be open until Apr 2 but are currently closed pending lift repairs, so we'll see.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Tahoe resorts closing late April - July 4.......

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Do you have a more exact list? Looking for cheap and cheerful to take my 2nd timer niece after Easter Sunday...
From what I hear for Tahoe resorts:

Northstar - April 23
Heavenly - April 30
Kirkwood - April 16

Squaw - July 4
Sugar Bowl - Apr 23
Sierra at Tahoe - Apr 23
Mt Rose - May 29

You should go on to individual websites and check as dates seem to be changing .

marzNC

Angel Diva
Do you have a more exact list? Looking for cheap and cheerful to take my 2nd timer niece after Easter Sunday...
You can start by looking at OnTheSnow. But as mentioned, closing dates change so always best to double-check before making travel plans.

https://www.onthesnow.com/lake-tahoe/projected-closing.html

Plus, best to ask around to get a sense of exactly which lifts and trails are likely to be open the last few weeks of a season. Just as early season skiing may mean a few WRODs, late season could be disappointing if you need greens that are at the the lower elevations near the base of the mountain. Out west, they won't be doing any snowmaking during late season. As happened in the southeast and mid-Atlantic to in late Feb to extend the season into March.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
You can start by looking at OnTheSnow. But as mentioned, closing dates change so always best to double-check before making travel plans.

https://www.onthesnow.com/lake-tahoe/projected-closing.html

Plus, best to ask around to get a sense of exactly which lifts and trails are likely to be open the last few weeks of a season. Just as early season skiing may mean a few WRODs, late season could be disappointing if you need greens that are at the the lower elevations near the base of the mountain. Out west, they won't be doing any snowmaking during late season. As happened in the southeast and mid-Atlantic to in late Feb to extend the season into March.
Yes... good idea to provide the link. I have the app on my iPhone and that is where I got my information from. Also, @HeidiInTheAlps you need to check each resorts website for up to date information and status report. For instance, currently Heavenly and Northstar is around 95%-98% open. They just received over a foot of snow in the last few days. @marzNC has a good point about checking to see what's open as far greens, etc.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Resorts tend to have limited late season operations. Even though they say lifts will be spinning until x date, often that means weekends only. So it'll be limited lifts opening (or, you need to down load) and limited days.

Jilly

Staff member
Sometimes it's not about the snow conditions, but the number of people coming out to use the facility. These places are businesses and having employee's standing around at lifts is not cost effective. I remember a few years ago when Tremblant closed the Soliel side in early April. Conditions were great, it was the number of people not there that made the decision. But, the sun came out, the temp's warmed up and there was a crowd. They called in staff and opened the chair and slopes at 11am.

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes... good idea to provide the link. I have the app on my iPhone and that is where I got my information from. Also, @HeidiInTheAlps you need to check each resorts website for up to date information and status report. For instance, currently Heavenly and Northstar is around 95%-98% open. They just received over a foot of snow in the last few days. @marzNC has a good point about checking to see what's open as far greens, etc.

That was my plan, but was wanting to chart out what might be possible. Honestly, I hoping for Donner Ski Ranch with the beginners I will have with me. That would have been golden...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
That was my plan, but was wanting to chart out what might be possible. Honestly, I hoping for Donner Ski Ranch with the beginners I will have with me. That would have been golden...
Ooh doubtful about Donner Ski Ranch. Did you check Diamond Peak, Boteal, or Soda Springs?

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooh doubtful about Donner Ski Ranch. Did you check Diamond Peak, Boteal, or Soda Springs?
Boreal and Soda Springs are closed, and Diamond Peak. Easter is the last day. I want to go the day after.

Mt. Rose has a spring special, lift ticket, slice of pizza and can of coca-cola for $30, maybe they'll bring that back after Easter? That would be sweet - Thursdays are $29, Tuesdays are two for 1... so that helps, but no slope side lodging :( spoiled person that I am.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Ha. Mt Rose is awesome but definitely no lodging close by!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Go to northstar.. or Squaw . Both have slopeside lodging.

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And Donner Ski Ranch, doesn't list any dates!

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Go to northstar.. or Squaw . Both have slopeside lodging.
Might stay in Incline Village if I ski Mt. Rose. Or Reno... return to the Residence Inn in Reno where I was stranded last January waiting for Donner's Pass to open.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly