• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2014 Cycle Stoke Thread

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm thinking that mastering this (body bike separation) will help improve angulation and upper/lower body separation on skis, by building on one's proprioception. I've always heard that mt bike is the best off-season ski conditioning.

I guess I'll find out if this is true for sure!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not really sure. I'm getting the feeling that it would make sense. Geargrrl, AG, bounce, what do you think?

altagirl

Staff member
If you get all nit picky about it, there are differences, but when I'm in the zone cornering on my bike, it feels a lot like powder skiing to me. I think it helps.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I had two fun rides with DH this weekend. He's nursing a slight knee tweek so these rides were test. For those of you that have SO's, you know how some rides are great and some, well, not?
We had a blast. He was taking pics of me.:love:

IMG_1941-edit.jpg

IMG_1937-edits2.jpg

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have been thinking about this thread, as well as some of the other "parallel" stance sports that Diva's participate in -- biking, horse back riding, roller blading... besides the body separation /proprioception @VickiK mentioned, they all add the element of "speed" and moving forward or projecting down a specific line of travel.

To me, projecting your line ahead at speed is also another skill set (I'm sure there is word for this?). To be able to anticipate what is ahead and react accordingly at speed is another element common in skiing and all the sports listed above -- to find your line jumping a horse, riding motocross or bike trails around corners up and down hill, or navigating uneven terrain or crowds on roller blades all require your brain to anticipate what is happening ahead and your body to react. In essence these sports require you to "read" the terrain at speed and to then react with your body/ balance in anticipation of changes in direction or in avoidance of objects. Thinking these sports assist off season skiers in keeping the mind sharp translating the terrain while at speed.

on a more humors note, @contesstant @SnowHot here is the same 50cc dirt bike DD rides, surfed with DH tonight I rode my beat up cruiser bicycle, DH riding the 50 on the trail back.... see the 50 really is big enough for everyone!

DSCN0059.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2014-6-24_22-10-25.png
    upload_2014-6-24_22-10-25.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have been thinking about this thread, as well as some of the other "parallel" stance sports that Diva's participate in -- biking, horse back riding, roller blading... besides the body separation /proprioception @VickiK mentioned, they all add the element of "speed" and moving forward or projecting down a specific line of travel.

To me, projecting your line ahead at speed is also another skill set (I'm sure there is word for this?). To be able to anticipate what is ahead and react accordingly at speed is another element common in skiing and all the sports listed above -- to find your line jumping a horse, riding motocross or bike trails around corners up and down hill, or navigating uneven terrain or crowds on roller blades all require your brain to anticipate what is happening ahead and your body to react. In essence these sports require you to "read" the terrain at speed and to then react with your body/ balance in anticipation of changes in direction or in avoidance of objects. Thinking these sports assist off season skiers in keeping the mind sharp translating the terrain while at speed.

on a more humors note, @contesstant @SnowHot here is the same 50cc dirt bike DD rides, surfed with DH tonight I rode my beat up cruiser bicycle, DH riding the 50 on the trail back.... see the 50 really is big enough for everyone!

View attachment 2913
I'm impressed he can ride that tiny bike one-handed! With a surfboard in the other--that takes some serious balancing skills!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yes I'm impressed too! no clutch so really just need the one hand for "gas" - I ride my bike the same - one handed with the board tucked under the other arm..... once your riding it fine, its the starting and ending that require the balance !

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've noticed that I'm much more comfortable on my motorcycle in curves this summer. The only thing I can think of is that my improvements in skiing have translated to the motorcycle.

I also noticed last year that my skiing was better at the start of the season, presumably from downhill mountain biking in the summer.

I like this feedback loop!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Hey ladies I messed up my original post to this thread by getting photos messed up on my Google account. I will repost to the best of my ability as soon as I can.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
(post recreated)
1. I'm instructing for my local club. The mother organization even provides uniforms. How cool is that?
image+%25285%2529.jpeg

2. Our women's rides "Biking Betties of the Inland NW" are really taking off. We are doing 2x monthly rides. This event is put on as a joint effort between the women of Evergreen East, our local pro who is a Liv/giant ambassador, and The Bike Hub, awesome LBS.
10271434_10152445402798685_5974701822854369127_o.jpg

3. I am having a great time riding. It has been quite a journey rebuilding confidence and relearning riding in the past two years. I'm making leaps and bounds. I have done a private session with my coaching partner who is way advanced from me. We've been working on high speed cornering, pressuring and pumping the bike, using momentum and power strokes and a few other fun things.

10339324_10152445402128685_5603524445361000411_o.jpg

2014-04-30+18.57.31%255B4%255D.jpg

geargrrl

Angel Diva
More stoke for ya without pictures for now:
So for as long as I've been riding, I don't do jumps,drops,tabletops....all my prior efforts to learn have resulted in frustration or injury."just ride off it" "pull up on the bars" wasn't cutting it and I have a shoulder that will probably need surgery someday. So, with all the good stuff going on this year, I'd drawn the line. Then came the Sugar Showdown. This is a two day event run by Kat Sweet at Duthie Park over by Seattle. The park is totally designed for learning bike skills of all sorts.the focus of this clinic was jumping, cornering. My friend Kirsten was going and I thought to myself, " this is going to the place to learn it if I'm going to do it". I do really well in those kind of structured learning environments where you get spoon fed the pieces and there is a high student/coach ratio.

It felt pretty weird to fill out the form as riding experience 15+ years! jump experience! zero. Plus I'm a coach!!?? How crazy is that!
I'm really proud of myself. There are five graduated drops in the first leaning progression and and I got up to #3, which is more than half our group did. I did the smaller drop of the three on Voodoo, cleared the step up, did the wall rides, and got the hang of the tabletops.

There was tons of media there, filming for the MTB4her site and for a documentary being made by Sisterhood of Shred. I hope there are some good photos of me. I don't have big plans to go city this stuff. I just want to understand as part of my teaching tool box, and to play around at out local area. Today is practice and the competition.

5aha8uvy.jpg
yqe4ytaj.jpg

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@geargrrl - did you happen to meet Lauren Heitzman at Sugar Showdown? I met her at Winter Park, and based on her FB posts, she was there, too.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is so cool! I wish I could find some good clinics in my area--I'm sure they're out there, just don't know how to find them.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually, I'm in the Ogden area now! Guess I need to update my profile :becky:
thanks for checking into it!

Oh, right, duh - I thought there was something weird about you being in California. In that case - they also run one in Park City.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant aren't you still weird having moved to Ogden? :wink:
We will miss you at the diva thing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga