• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Yowza! Thundersnow!!

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boy, when our storm finally arrived in Park City, it came in with a bang. Literally! About 3:45, the storm came over the ridge and started blowing and dumping. And, we had thunder and lightning to go with it!!! We had to initiate lightning stoppage procedures on all the lifts. I hadn't seen that in the 3 years I've been here. When I left at 5:15, the lifts that run at night were still stopped.
As usual, some guests complained to us that we shut down. Gee, there's lightning in the area (we all saw one strike in the area between Deer Valley and Park City Mt. Resort). What shall we do?? Shut down the lift for the safety of everyone, guest and employee alike, or do we keep it running so someone can play Russian roulette with the lightning while riding the lift? Duh. I don't get some people. Just like the folks who complain about wind holds - if you want to be on a chair that has a 2 ft swing in all directions, be my guest!!!
Anyway, it was a fast dump and lots of blowing snow. Made the commute home interesting. At times, I couldn't see anything, just blowing white snow. I'm home now, happy to think that I don't have to work tomorrow :smile:

crittermonster

Certified Ski Diva
We had thunder-snow here in Chicago during our big blizzard. It actually scared me to hear the wind...thought the house would get damaged somehow. One of our trees did shed a few branches but it'll be spring before we figure out just how much.

that Thundersnow weirded a lot of people out. I've heard it only once before.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG. We had thunder snow in VT on Saturday night. Mr. Serafina and I were having dinner at our inn, and I kept seeing these blue-white flashes on the window. I assumed there was a cop with lights on at the scene of an accident around the corner, or maybe directing traffic with the sleet and ice, but no - the waiter told us it was LIGHTNING. They opened the windows so everyone could hear the thunder. It went on for about 30-40 minutes!

I also saw on a video from weather.com taken in Chicago that there was thunder snow - they have Jim Cantore absolutely *freaking out* because of that stuff.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
It hit Maine at around midnight on Saturday night, but only for about 15 minutes. However, definitely cloud-to-ground strikes, as one of them nailed an on-mountain transformer at Sugarloaf, taking out power to a cluster of on-mountain condos, the mid-mountain lodge and...the Superquad. Not fixed as of lift opening time on Sunday (alas). Fixed by 10:30, however. Very unusual phenomenon, I'd only experienced it once before, many years prior, at Alta - storm came in fast, with lightning starting to strike while we were on a chairlift. :eek:

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was 10:30 pm Saturday for about 10-15 minutes in Franconia, NH. DH slept thru it. Other guests did not. With the first combo lightning/thunder I wondered if it was cop lights/snowplows, but the sound was decidedly thunder - and then it kept going - with a little sleety sounding precip. A first for me!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga