• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Yet another length conundrum; for a short height

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Hi all!

Wish I had joined this earlier, such wealth of information!

I'm a former border turned skier after bunch of surgeries; so a very cautious skier... Not inclined to break my rather 'expensive' surgically altered body, haha. (ACL/MCL, long spinal fusion and yanked a tumor off my spinal cord)

I can do greens and gentle blues (and gentle glades like ones at Jay Peak on the lower mtn) and had small breakthrough this season trusting myself to go faster and found my current skis aren't adequate.

I'm 5"1' and 125 lb., and my current favorite ski is Rossignol Trixie (which I know is a junior ski) at 148 cm. I thought I was OK with the shorter length but am noticing instability and chatter when I gain speed.

I've tried Sassy's which I really liked so I found and am about to buy 2020 Sassy model at 160cm. I know the BlackOps have replaced the 7 series which Sassy was, but don't like the BlackOps top... I did demo Rallybird at Jay on a powder day-162cm but that's 102 underfoot and I don't really need that in the North East ice coast.

So, the Sassy is going to be my powder-leaning ski, but also want a narrower waist for icy days.

Now for my question:

How are the newly redesigned Experience models? I'm thinking about 82 Basalt which I read is stiffer than older experience models, but am hesitant. Tried a 2019 Experience model and it felt too soft and unstable. I'm eyeing the 151/159 cm lengths. Has anyone ridden older vs latest Experience models and give me some insight?

Thanks!

newboots

Angel Diva
Congratulations on getting back out on the snow! It sounds like you've done your research and are just narrowing down to the best options. I'm not familiar with Rossis so I can't comment on those.

I'm so glad you're upgrading to adult skis. There are important reasons not to use junior skis! The bindings are important; not just the skis. Neither are as strong as adult skis. You want good bindings that are designed for adults, even though you're a smaller adult.

And -

:welcome:

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
The Sassy is more of a free ride ski. The Experience is the all mountain ski. Thst's the one you want. 82mm or wider. 154-160.
Oh yeah, I know Sassy is freeride, but am found of the heavy rocker on tip/tail... just like my snowboard, which was also a Rossy.

Turns out the store I found the Sassy at won't ship to US, so looks like I'll probably get the Experience first, and wait on a wider waist for power-ish days.

I'm getting the Indy pass again for next season and will hit few big resorts that do get powder. Jay Peak was phenomenal last weekend, and when we hit Cannon and Waterville Valley we had one powder day at each resort.

Thanks, I'm probably going to get the 159cm, 82 basalt.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Congratulations on getting back out on the snow! It sounds like you've done your research and are just narrowing down to the best options. I'm not familiar with Rossis so I can't comment on those.

I'm so glad you're upgrading to adult skis. There are important reasons not to use junior skis! The bindings are important; not just the skis. Neither are as strong as adult skis. You want good bindings that are designed for adults, even though you're a smaller adult.

And -

:welcome:
Thanks!

I just wish my feet were tad bigger. Mondo 22.5, so limited in boot choices. I discovered cabrio type boots last season and won't go back to traditional warp arounds... now realize I'm essentially stuck with Dabello boots. Full Tilt also makes cabrio style but their adult range doesn't start until 24.5 :\

newboots

Angel Diva
Thanks!

I just wish my feet were tad bigger. Mondo 22.5, so limited in boot choices. I discovered cabrio type boots last season and won't go back to traditional warp arounds... now realize I'm essentially stuck with Dabello boots. Full Tilt also makes cabrio style but their adult range doesn't start until 24.5 :\
Roxa makes a cabrio boot now - I think it was new this year. Although the brand is somewhat unknown, they are a factory that has made boots for other manufacturers for years, and finally developed their own. Very nice boots.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Did you look at Corbett's or Asogear? Or were you looking in Europe?

I'm a Rossi Girl....that Experience will serve you well at Jay!
Didn't know about Asogear. I will buy from anyone that has my size so thank you for sharing!

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Roxa makes a cabrio boot now - I think it was new this year. Although the brand is somewhat unknown, they are a factory that has made boots for other manufacturers for years, and finally developed their own. Very nice boots.
Oooh good.

TBH....having done manufacturing- this sounds good. Often the folks actually making parts know all the ins and outs, just can't show it off

Jilly

Staff member
Some Canadian sites that I know of:

https://www.monodsports.com/rossignol-women-s-experience-82-w-basalt-w21 Might be too long??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193935760839?hash=item2d2778ddc7:g:RNsAAOSwbahgQTGp not the same skis, but look at that price, with bindings...

https://kunstadt.com/collections/al...12konectgwbinding?_pos=8&_fid=583987413&_ss=c Not sure about shipping. This is a brick and mortar store.

Have fun.....

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thanks!

Roxa are cabrio, too, and I feel the same way. Don’t know about their little sizes, though - my feet are bigger than yours.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Roxa are cabrio, too, and I feel the same way. Don’t know about their little sizes, though - my feet are bigger than yours.
No more reverse birthing feet!I thought i received the wrong size the first time I put my Panteras on. I love the tethered 'wire' ankle buckle set at 45 degrees... really helps lock down my hypermobile ankles.

I also have wide feet (they really look like cabbage patch doll feet...) and a congenital bunion on one foot that is now getting use/wear and tear related changes and pain on normal daily movement.... so I also need wider last. And probably need to address the bunion soone. My body seems to be against my desire... so I'm just,... molding around the best I can by forcing my parts to listen to ME.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Well... ordered and received the Rossi experience 82 basalts. Bindings got delayed in route.

I was going to maybe hit a mtn over this weekend with our touch of snow on the NE-ice coast. But, UPS had other things in mind.

I do have other Look bindings that will fit on the rails on the experiences...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga