• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wow it has already begun!

NannyMin

Banned
Well I just turned 33 and today I was referred to as an "older lady"! I was asking an employee at A-Basin about the availability of PSIA Level III instructor, the employee got on his radio and asked if there were any Level III's for and older lady. He was irritated that I was insisting upon the level. :rolleyes:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Next thing you know they'll be saying, "Can I ride the lift with you ma'am?"

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had something similar happen when I go my hair cut. After the cut, the stylists in the salon all were saying how much younger the cut made me look. I used to be told that my haircuts made me look older!

Also, I noticed that people are calling me ma'am more often. I just don't consider myself old.... only 32.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not skiing related, but funny nonetheless:

My bf's sister is heavily into half-marathon running. She usually places pretty high (I think top 5) for women in the ones she runs. A few years ago she was running and passed a guy and a younger kid. The guy says to the younger kid, 'Are you gonna let that old lady pass you?'

She's all of maybe 32, with two very young kids. So what did she do?

Got a t-shirt that says on the back 'Don't let this old lady pass you'.

I think the whole thing is alternately funny and awesome, particularly the shirt!! :D

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Apparently 32/33 is the age. I haven't been asked for my ID at a bar or restaurant (doesn't count if they're carding everyone at the door) since I turned 32. Hmmmm.....

Wait 'til you ladies turn 40! Life get's even more interesting then! :D

altagirl

Staff member
You know what's funny - I'm 33 and I hadn't gotten ID'd in about a year and then I dyed my hair from blonde to dark red/brunette and suddenly got ID'd twice in two days that first week. Maybe that's why I like it... My husband and friend we were at dinner with were even annoyed that the waitress ID'd me, but not them. :p

I was asked for ID at the grocery store the other day (Whole Foods) and it made my day! (I turn 48 in September) :D

I get some pretty funny looks from the coaches and kids when I venture into the terrain park, that's for sure. I'm gonna feel better when my skills increase and they can say Wow! Look at that 'ole lady get some air!

abc

Banned
I once got asked out by a high schooler! That was when I was in my late 20's and I simply didn't have a good answer to his invitation!

Frankly, I've been looked at less than my age for all my life all I ever want is to "look my age", even now, at the ripe old age of 40+!

Maybe when I turn 70, I'll get over it. (not too good a chance, my mom can't get senior discount without showing her id, and she's turning 70 this year!)

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a minor skiing accident in my early 30's (not that long ago!) and I was looking over the patroller's shoulder as he was filling in the form, and he wrote 'middle aged woman' in the description of the incident!

I know I don't look my best when out skiing, but I do think I look younger than my age, and since when is early 30's middle aged!!!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I once got asked out by a high schooler! That was when I was in my late 20's and I simply didn't have a good answer to his invitation!

Hee hee. A few years ago, I was a ball girl at the Legg Mason Tennis Classic here in DC. I got a kick out of it when the other ball kids asked me to play cards with them, and my teenage partner and I "shot the moon" in Hearts or Spades - whichever one it is that you shoot the moon in - to win the hand. Sadly, that's the only time that I've successfully shot the moon. :o

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hee hee. A few years ago, I was a ball girl at the Legg Mason Tennis Classic here in DC. I got a kick out of it when the other ball kids asked me to play cards with them, and my teenage partner and I "shot the moon" in Hearts or Spades - whichever one it is that you shoot the moon in - to win the hand. Sadly, that's the only time that I've successfully shot the moon. :o

It's hearts - to "shoot the moon" means that you take all the pointed cards (all the heart cards and the jack of spades)... generally to win hearts you want to take as few cards as possible. Yes I was a hugely addicted card player (hearts and spades) when I was first in college. I haven't played in ages now

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always cringe when my supervisor tells me that the student asked for a "mature woman" as an instructor! And I am 63!!

But, last year, I walked up to my student who shouted, Great, I asked for an old Bag and it looks like I got one! She then proceeded to tell everyone that we met that we were two Old Bags!

They tried to ride me in ski school---but, one advantage of being 63 is that you can freeze the younger instructors with THE LOOK.

And, I am amazed that someone was irritatated that you wanted a Level III instructor----it costs us almost $1000 to take the exams to be Level II and III---and it is really a lot of work. I am so much better an instructor now than I was at Level I. Why shouldn't the public be aware of that? It is the same price whether you get a first year instructor or a 25 year veteran with a Level III. Why not get experience and skill?

Ice Queen

Certified Ski Diva
I was about 35 when someone referred to me as middle aged. He was one of my students, probably early 20's. People that age think anyone over 30 is middle aged. What's average life expectancy right now for women, 80? Therefore 40 is middle aged. But 40 is good, that is the age at which I realized I didn't really care what people thought of me, and also that I was not going to put up with jerky behavior from anyone just to be polite. It's really very liberating, I like it a lot.

NannyMin

Banned
I recently got braces and now I'm having the opposite problem (not that I'm complaining...). I get carded every single time now!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga