• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's clinics, '19-'20

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So much fun today! Conditions were beautiful, no slush or ice. I haven't posted the last couple of weeks because I didn't have much to report, I've had a cold and been sluggish/not psyched about skiing but I think I really figured out the problem today. My skis are too soft and too short. I demoed the Black Pearl 82 in a 159 today. I'm currently on the Head Pure Joy in a 153. Holy smokes, I think my speed limit went up 10 mph because I felt so freakin stable on the BPs.

We worked on side slips and falling leaf down one run and then turning on a steeper trail keeping our hands on our knees. I loved this drill, it really helped me work my legs TOGETHER and to stay forward. I actually found myself doing this when I didn't have to on more steeps just because it felt more secure.

My instructor also pointed out when I was shopping for turns and had us work on short radius turns through whatever pile was in front of us. I'm really glad he pointed this out because it was a lot more fun to ski the piles and not try to pick through them. I think I needed to hear from someone I trust that I can ski that crud. It helped.

I free skied with a friend after my lesson and she said I looked like a whole different person out there. I think a lot of variables came together for me today but it also confirmed that it's time to get on a better ski.

newboots

Angel Diva
@Mistletoes - that’s exactly how I feel about MY BP 82s (159!)

Today I had errands and almost didn’t ski. I did ski, and ended up trying 3 new black runs by myself (I don’t do that!). I was
Flying down a wide blue trail that, 10 days ago, I only skied very cautiously.

Some of my improvement is due to skiing with instructors (my sister-in-law, and @nopoleskier) and to a daylong clinic I took Sunday. And much, of course, is time on snow.

But some is due to these BPs! When I first got them, the only description of the difference I could articulate was (1) easier in crud) and (2) “I don’t know why, but I have more fun on these.”

Good enough!

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@newboots you sound a lot like me! I wasn't blown away with the BPs at first but found the more I pushed them, the more secure I felt. I also skied a black run today free skiing ( I almost never do that) and actually had fun. I can't underestimate instruction because I know that's huge but I now realize what it's like to hit the speed limit on a ski and it's no fun!

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After a week off back to lessons today on my new skis :ski: Practically a private lesson since only two of us showed up. We skied hard starting with the steeper blues then progressing to blacks and a double black (it's Western NY but still steep to me!). I can feel that my upper and lower body separation is getting better and I can look further down hill and ski faster.

My main issue is rushing my turns. My instructor even pointed out that I'm getting real good at it (not a good thing). For some reason I thought I should be slowing down at the top of my turns but I learned that is all wrong. I should be allowing the acceleration to happen and trust that I'll slow down at the bottom of the turn. I really have to think about this because my body wants to rush it but I could definitely feel the difference today and will have this on my radar.

We also practiced falling leaf which I'm getting pretty darn good at!

Our instructor also taught some strategies for skiing in low visibility (it was foggy) by staying closer to the trees or snow guns but me mindful of softer piles on the edge of the trails. On the last fun, easy run of the day I really felt like an athlete getting angles and carving my skis on soft snow that would've tripped me up last year.

Like2Ski

Angel Diva
Brief report:

Met up with @Like2Ski at Suicide Six in Woodstock, Vermont, for today's WOW (Women Only Weekend). A good time was had by all! We had a lot of attention and personalized instruction with ratios of 1:2 instructor:student in the morning, and 1:3 in the afternoon.

I worked on upper body separation and flexion/extension, and managed to carve down a non-steep hill at the end of the day. Discovered some new muscles in the latter activity. @Like2Ski worked on her turns and looked amazing, considering how long she has been skiing seriously.

The weather was, um, cold. It was -6 when we arrived, but did warm up as the day progressed. It was a day for bulky layers, though, and that helped quite a bit.

Must run. Getting into the bath with Epsom salts. A requirement for these worn muscles and joints!

I never responded to this but I absolutely loved the Suicide 6! What an absolutely adorable ski area with the best food I’ve had in ages. And what a pleasure and a treat to meet @newboots!

DJ, our instructor, was very capable and supportive. I would definitely like to take more lessons with her. I will definitely be back to the S6.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did a women's 2-day ski camp a few weeks ago - it's taken me a bit of time to absorb and apply what I learned, but now realising just how helpful it was. We worked a lot on making turns in steeper, tighter terrain (aggressive, committing pole plants, getting the body down the slope etc), and I think it's made a big difference for me.

Apart from the instruction, just skiing with women who choose a line that looks possible for me was so useful, even if I didn't manage all the tricky bits at the time without side slipping. I love skiing with my husband, but he does tend to go straight where I'd want to make a turn so I'd end chickening out - for some reason seeing someone else ski the line makes it a bit more possible and I think is opening up more terrain for me. Don't know if that makes any kind of sense for anyone else, but I think the women-only thing is great for making you realise 'if she can do it so can I' or something like that!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Steamboat Women's Clinic

Day 1: We checked in at the Timber & Torch restaurant for a nice breakfast (pastries, fresh fruit & yogurt, good coffee, tea, granola, etc.). The "coaches" were introduced and they provided a rundown of what the next 3 days would be like. Groups were divided according to preferences/skill levels/goals that were submitted by participants ahead of time. I was initially in a group of 6 with 2 coaches.

The first part of the morning was spent observing everyone's skiing and adjusting the groups, as needed. Our coaches used the time on the chair to find out what each of us wanted to get out of the clinic and what type of terrain we wanted to ski. All of us wanted to get into the bumps and crud with some time on the groomers. The second half of the morning was spent on blue and black groomers, working specifically on getting on the new outside ski earlier, staying dynamic (i.e., bicycle/long leg short leg). They also shot some video - using an iPad, so very little time was spent waiting around for the videographer to get set up. Everyone received individual feedback and suggestions. It was great to have 2 coaches with us b/c they explained the same concepts differently.

Lunch was included as part of the clinic. We had a private room w/a delicious buffet at one of Steamboat's sit-down on hill restaurants. It was waaaaay more than I usually eat for lunch, but it sure was good. There was more rearranging of groups at lunch, and my group was whittled from 6 to 4. The 4 of us stuck w/the same 2 coaches. We spent a bit of time viewing the video taken

In the afternoon we skied bumps and crud. We would have stuck w/that plan the whole afternoon but clouds rolled in and the light was very flat at the top of the mountain. We skied a groomed black off the top w/bumps on the sides, so we were able to play around in varying terrain, but the flat light made it very difficult. Lower down, the visibility improved and we moved to a different part of the mountain. We did some fun carving on a blue cruiser to end the day. Throughout the day, we had some long runs where we simply skied - to allow plenty of time to play with the concepts each of us were working on.

Our coaches made it a point throughout the day to ask if we were understanding things, if anyone had questions, etc. I think I benefited by hearing the feedback given to my "team" members as well as the instruction I received.

Apres ski was at the base at a restaurant reserved for us. Wine and a nice fire and great conversation. Our coaches gave a "tech talk" on skis and bindings. Very informative and practical. The coaches distributed some great swag, including a nice water bottle, Smartwool ski socks, and a coupon for a free demo day (which I will use on Friday despite needing another pair of skis like I need a hole in the head). Looking forward to Days 2 and 3!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Day 2: The group met for First Tracks at 8 a.m. What a treat to be able to ski on slopes all by ourselves. It was a spring-like bluebird day and the views were spectacular. Unbeknownst to me, our coaches ((I haven't adjusted to the change from "instructor" to "coach" - this is the 3d clinic I've done this year at 3 different resorts and all 3 ski schools used the "new" terminology. Maybe b/c it is a clinic as opposed to a lesson)), decided to move me to a more challenging group. It worked out just fine - everyone is so friendly that meeting and skiing with my new team members was a seamless process. I was initially concerned that I would hold them back but that, fortunately, didn't happen. I reckon these coaches know what they're doing.

The theme for Day 2 was "rotary." We skied bumps in the morning with Ann Battelle (a thrill to say the least), and she had her own take on teaching "rotary," i.e., we use rotary naturally on nearly every turn we make, so she didn't see the point of dwelling on it. Another theme/concept that was new to me was the "triangle of power." It is a visual way of describing the correct position of the upper body, particularly in short radius turns. It came into play all day while we worked on upper/lower body separation.

We skied areas that were very challenging for me (black bump runs w/trees and some quite steep pitches). I can't say I skied them well, but I kept up with my group and I do think I made slow and steady progress. My coach did a great job of helping me conquer my fear by showing me on the flat that I have the skills I need to ski this kind of terrain - and eventually ski it well. I managed to rid myself of this fear back in December when I did Bumps for Boomers but it unfortunately crept back in over the months of not having the opportunity to ski bumps.

As on Day 1 we had a lovely buffet lunch at the same nice restaurant. Our coaches gave a talk on the importance and mechanics of boots and boot fitting during lunch.

In the afternoon we spent more time doing bumps and trees. I'd never skied trees before (another of my fears) and dangit if I didn't have a blast. The runs were black, but only b/c of the trees; the pitches were not terrifically steep except for the first 3 or so turns. Since I'd never done anything like this (except on green and gentle blues) my coach had me follow her. This made things much easier and it calmed my nerves knowing that I wouldn't have the added burden of choosing where to turn. It was a great introduction.

Again, the day was chock full of individual instruction, supportive feedback, and team encouragement. I'm liking this women-specific stuff!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another theme/concept that was new to me was the "triangle of power." It is a visual way of describing the correct position of the upper body, particularly in short radius turns. It came into play all day while we worked on upper/lower body separation.
Can you explain the "triangle of power"? I am working a lot on body position and upper/lower separation.

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Day 2: The group met for First Tracks at 8 a.m. What a treat to be able to ski on slopes all by ourselves. It was a spring-like bluebird day and the views were spectacular. Unbeknownst to me, our coaches ((I haven't adjusted to the change from "instructor" to "coach" - this is the 3d clinic I've done this year at 3 different resorts and all 3 ski schools used the "new" terminology. Maybe b/c it is a clinic as opposed to a lesson)), decided to move me to a more challenging group. It worked out just fine - everyone is so friendly that meeting and skiing with my new team members was a seamless process. I was initially concerned that I would hold them back but that, fortunately, didn't happen. I reckon these coaches know what they're doing.

The theme for Day 2 was "rotary." We skied bumps in the morning with Ann Battelle (a thrill to say the least), and she had her own take on teaching "rotary," i.e., we use rotary naturally on nearly every turn we make, so she didn't see the point of dwelling on it. Another theme/concept that was new to me was the "triangle of power." It is a visual way of describing the correct position of the upper body, particularly in short radius turns. It came into play all day while we worked on upper/lower body separation.

We skied areas that were very challenging for me (black bump runs w/trees and some quite steep pitches). I can't say I skied them well, but I kept up with my group and I do think I made slow and steady progress. My coach did a great job of helping me conquer my fear by showing me on the flat that I have the skills I need to ski this kind of terrain - and eventually ski it well. I managed to rid myself of this fear back in December when I did Bumps for Boomers but it unfortunately crept back in over the months of not having the opportunity to ski bumps.

As on Day 1 we had a lovely buffet lunch at the same nice restaurant. Our coaches gave a talk on the importance and mechanics of boots and boot fitting during lunch.

In the afternoon we spent more time doing bumps and trees. I'd never skied trees before (another of my fears) and dangit if I didn't have a blast. The runs were black, but only b/c of the trees; the pitches were not terrifically steep except for the first 3 or so turns. Since I'd never done anything like this (except on green and gentle blues) my coach had me follow her. This made things much easier and it calmed my nerves knowing that I wouldn't have the added burden of choosing where to turn. It was a great introduction.

Again, the day was chock full of individual instruction, supportive feedback, and team encouragement. I'm liking this women-specific stuff!

Thank you so much for these detailed daily reports. They are so helpful and it sounds like you are having a great clinic. Will have to put this one on my list to consider for next winter!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can you explain the "triangle of power"? I am working a lot on body position and upper/lower separation.

Sure, @vickie . The Triangle of Power is a concept that I believe was "named" by Deb Armstrong, who is one of the originators of this clinic. I'll try to explain it as best I can. Others may be able to add to my explanation and make it even clearer.

Stand with your skis perpendicular to the fall line, as if you are ready to initiate your next turn. Your new outside ski will be leading slightly. The triangle is that space formed by your hands and your belly button (some say from belly button to the lower sternum). That triangle should be aimed down the fall line. PSIA refers (or used to refer - I can never keep up) as being "countered." We were practicing staying countered while our skis move underneath us. One drill was to stand on the outside ski and traverse the hill with our inside ski crossed over the outside ski w/the heel raised - not a javelin turn, but a javelin traverse. The triangle should be aimed slightly down the fall line. This also forces you to raise the inside hip slightly. This is NOT an easy drill and I wouldn't encourage a lower level skier to try it, though they could get a similar feel by just standing still and moving that inside ski to a perpendicular-ish position. Deb Armstrong has a great video demonstrating this drill. She starts w/the traverse before going into javelin turns. I don't think she mentions it, but you can see the Triangle of Power as she demo's the drill

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Steamboat Women's Clinic

Day 3: One thing I didn't mention earlier is that in this clinic, every group has a different coach each day. Because different coaches explain concepts in different ways, the hope is that everyone will get the feedback they need/want in understandable and executable terms. A couple of bells went off for for me yesterday when my "new" coach gave me a "new" visual for something I've been told for the last two seasons. Specifically, my instructors have been urging me to make a more dramatic move downhill with my upper body in initiating a turn; really getting over that outside ski. My coach yesterday had me imagine that there was a low ceiling over my head and I'd whack it if my movement was too vertical. Ding, ding, ding, ding! This tilted my movement pattern in a whole new direction. My coach was so excited to see the change in my skiing that she was literally jumping up and down on her skis. Even the other ladies on my "team" commented that my skiing was dramatically different from morning to afternoon. I'm not sure I'd get this kind of affirmation and support from a bunch of guys.

A second concept came into play in the bumps when our coach told us about bringing the tails of our skis to our butts - letting the mogul push our legs up rather than us making a downward movement. It is difficult for me to explain but the feeling is phenomenal when experienced. She had us experiment with it on a run that was just starting to get bumped up and we were able to take it into some moderate bumps and try and apply it. I know others here can explain the idea much better than me. Right now it is just a feeling for me, i.e., I know it when it happens.

Lunch was again fabulous and we spent some of the time viewing videos and solving the ski world's problems.

The 3 of us on my team (our 4th had to leave after lunch to drive to Big Sky - aw shucks. :smile:), were tired after 2 1/2 days of pretty hard skiing, so we didn't do the bigger bumps we'd done in the morning. We did have the opportunity to ski a "blue" chute, however. We also had a mini-lesson in how to ski slush. The day was quite warm, and lower down it was definitely spring skiing. Our coach's preference in those conditions is to ski slush like it was powder - no big carvy turns or quick movements.

Our day and clinic wrapped up with a happy hour at a nice bar/restaurant. Everyone has vowed to come back again next year and to keep in touch via email. I hope that will happen. :fireworks:

marzNC

Angel Diva
. . .Right now it is just a feeling for me, i.e., I know it when it happens.
That's key! Exactly what made a difference for my left turn during the 1-hr private at Massanutten with Peter to focus on just my left turn. Knowing what the movement is correct also means I know when it's less than optimal, so I can make a correction for the next turn(s).

Just saw that Steamboat has a clinic for intermediate and advanced women March 20-22. Price is around $800, which is not a bad deal for two full days, including lunch and a welcome party. For women ages 18+, level 4+. Getting first tracks by loading the gondola at 8:00 is a nice feature.

WE RISE WOMEN'S SKI CAMP - March 20-22, 2020
Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 10.46.09 AM.png

Steamboat ability levels

INTERMEDIATE

Level 4: Links turns with speed control and brings skis together parallel at the end of the turn on green and easier blue runs.
Level 5: Confident on green and easy blue runs. You ski mostly parallel but may wedge or step to start the turns.
Level 6: Use a parallel stance on smooth blue runs and are testing your skills on varied terrain and snow conditions

ADVANCED

Level 7: You ski with controlled parallel turns, maintaining rhythm and speed control on groomed black runs.
Level 8: You ski with good technique on all terrain and snow conditions, using carved short radius turns.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It sounds like they added another clinic. We must've been a success! :clap:

BTW, I didn't use my free demo ticket, so if anyone will be in Steamboat (through April 30) and would like it, I'm happy to send it to you

marzNC

Angel Diva
I definitely will. There were many women in the group who'd done the clinic several times - some of them twice in one season.
Having done two Taos Ski Weeks in the same season (Jan 2019, Feb 2019), with one week in between, there is a lot to be said for repeating a multi-day clinic. Especially if there is an opportunity to get in some mileage afterwards during another ski trip later the same season to a big mountain.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna