• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Woman Thought to be Missing Was Stuck in a Gondola Overnight!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Well, this is the stuff of nightmares. From KCRA3:

Woman thought to be missing was stuck 15 hours overnight up on a gondola at Heavenly Ski Resort​

Monica Laso was on a skiing trip with her friends Thursday when she was stranded on a gondola​

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. When Monica Laso planned a skiing trip with her friends to Heavenly Ski Resort, she never imagined she would spend 15 hours overnight hanging in the sky on a gondola. The hours felt long as Laso said she was fighting the cold by rubbing her hands and feet.

Thursday was her first time at the Lake Tahoe area resort. She spent most of the day snowboarding. Towards the end of the day, she fell behind her friends since they are more experienced than her.

Laso said since it was getting late, she approached a worker who guided her to the gondola after she expressed that she was too tired to continue down the hill. She got into the gondola at around 4:58 p.m., and then two minutes later, it stopped, leaving her alone and stranded.

KCRA 3 interviewed Laso in Spanish. The following quotes were translated.

"I didn't have a phone, a light or anything," said Laso. Without a phone to call for help, Laso said she screamed every time she saw a worker down below, but they couldn’t hear her. "I screamed desperately until I lost my voice," Laso said.

Laso's friends said they reported her missing to the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office when they could not get ahold of her. It wasn’t until the gondola started working again Friday and went back down the mountain that crews realized she had been there overnight.

"I felt very frustrated," Laso said.

Kim George, a spokesperson for South Lake Tahoe Fire and Rescue, said they assessed and treated Laso before releasing her. In a statement sent to KCRA 3, Heavenly Mountain Resort said it is investigating how this could have happened.

George said this is the first time they have responded to something like this in over 20 years.

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
Laso said since it was getting late, she approached a worker who guided her to the gondola after she expressed that she was too tired to continue down the hill. She got into the gondola at around 4:58 p.m., and then two minutes later, it stopped, leaving her alone and stranded.
I suspect some gondola operators may lose their jobs. I can't wrap my brain around the operators not paying attention to the downloaders and the rider having no way to communicate with her party. Truly terrifying.

altagirl

Staff member
This is waaay over a decade ago now, but we know someone with a lifetime pass to a resort because they left him stranded on a lift overnight. It was during summer operations for bike season, luckily, but on a regular chair, not a gondola. I can't imagine!

MissySki

Angel Diva
This is waaay over a decade ago now, but we know someone with a lifetime pass to a resort because they left him stranded on a lift overnight. It was during summer operations for bike season, luckily, but on a regular chair, not a gondola. I can't imagine!
That is like a really scary movie! Was he alone or with someone else on the lift?

altagirl

Staff member
Wait, the wolves climb up and get on the chairlift in the movie? If that were the case, couldn't a person climb down, the way the wolves were climbing up? Seems like our opposable thumbs would make it easier for us to climb. Or maybe the moral is, just bring snacks wolves like?
I was also thinking wait, that's a REALLY ridiculous plotline, I mean how would that even be feasible. Unless they jumped off the lift? But then you're not on the lift? I can't say I'd even think to be scared of wolves on the ground - you know - you stay on the lift an unless they are wolves with jetpacks or.... levitating wolves or.... wolves with opposable thumbs and climbing gear, like you said.... I don't know, but if you're on a chairlift, then they are just the evening entertainment while you wait for the lift to start in the morning.

Snowbasin really has a lock on the nonsense ski movies!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Wait, the wolves climb up and get on the chairlift in the movie? If that were the case, couldn't a person climb down, the way the wolves were climbing up? Seems like our opposable thumbs would make it easier for us to climb. Or maybe the moral is, just bring snacks wolves like?
No.. one of the people jumps from the chair, badly breaks his leg, and gets eaten by the wolves.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok. Wolve and movies aside -lol.

What the heck is going on to have someone download on a gondola at almost 5pm. I am not familiar with the lifts at heavenly, but I am used to most lifts closing at 3:30/4:00 pm.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok. Wolve and movies aside -lol.

What the heck is going on to have someone download on a gondola at almost 5pm. I am not familiar with the lifts at heavenly, but I am used to most lifts closing at 3:30/4:00 pm.
The lifts close at 4pm there. Technically the gondola does, too, but I assume it usually stays open a little later to get people down to the village. Sounds like this poor woman got a bit lost or took a long time coming down. No idea what their policy is for stragglers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna